Food Ideas - Insulin Resistant

Options
I've been diagnosed as "Insulin Resistant". As I understand it my body makes more insulin than I need and then doesn't know what to do with it. Any suggestions on what foods to avoid and/or eat more of?

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've been diagnosed as "Insulin Resistant". As I understand it my body makes more insulin than I need and then doesn't know what to do with it. Any suggestions on what foods to avoid and/or eat more of?

Did you dr not either give you diet suggestions or refer you to a nutritionist? Stay away from sugar, especially white sugar and all white bread, pasta, rice, etc. You can find good recipes for insulin resistance at http://www.diabetes.org/
  • NancyCatherineWalker
    Options
    Got the diagnosis from my OBGYN on Tues. She's referred me to another doctor who is supposed to call by the end of the week to set up an appointment. I'm looking for general ideas in the meantime.
  • larsoncd
    larsoncd Posts: 8
    Options
    Check out "The Zone" diet. It was originally designed for diabetics.

Paleo diet would also be good.
  • Aeliyah
    Aeliyah Posts: 247
    Options
    Insulin Resistance is **kinda** how you described it... Your body has the insulin, and you're right, it doesn't know what to do with it. This prevents glucose (sugar) from being used properly in your body, therefore raising blood glucose levels (high blood sugar). If it goes untreated (by meds, exercise, or diet) it will eventually lead to diabetes. As a diabetic myself (type 1, here), the best advice I can give you is to plan your meals as if you were already diagnosed with diabetes. Lower your carbohydrate and fat intake, get plenty of exercise (even if it's just walking after dinner!), and aim to lose weight. In this situation, any weight loss will be beneficial to your health!

Best of luck in your journey! :smile:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Got the diagnosis from my OBGYN on Tues. She's referred me to another doctor who is supposed to call by the end of the week to set up an appointment. I'm looking for general ideas in the meantime.

Got ya! Just avoid sugar and processed grains, and go light on carbs in general. When you do eat carbs be sure to eat fiber (which whole grains and veggies will have) and protein with it. This will cause them to digest more slowly and avoid an insulin spike. Good luck!
  • tinamwilson
    tinamwilson Posts: 32
    Options
    Look into "Ceylon Cinnamon". It's different from the grocery store ground cinnamon you can pick up for a couple bucks a jar. It has amazing qualities related to insulin and diabetes. You can purchase it at most health food stores - even online as well. Just make sure you ask for CEYLON CINNAMON.