Cycling Century: Looking For Advice

Options
rgutie1
rgutie1 Posts: 84 Member
So this was a goal of mine back before I gained all my grad school weight. To ride a 100 mile bikeride.

A little background, I used to ride y bike everwhere, including 15 miles roundtrip to work. Now that I am concentrating in getting back into shape I regularly ride short distances between 3 and 7 miles. But I would really like to achieve my old goal of a 100 mile ride. The longest I have ever rode was 30 miles.

What I am looking for is advice on training to make this distance ride from other cyclists or from those who have expereince building endurance (marathoners, triathletes, etc.). I want to start gearing my rides to help me prepare to undertake this task.

Most of my bike riding is in the city but I think for this I would be riding up and down the lakefront trail (approx 22 miles of clear continuos bike path) it has no steep climbs or drops.

Any advice is appreciated.

Replies

• sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I am going to ride my first century in September - The San Luis Obispo Lighthouse Century on 9/24 (aack! I'm registered and scared!!). I'm doing the "flat" century 3500 ft climb, instead of the "hilly" 4500 ft climb. Flat--ha!

I have been a spin instructor for 7 years, but just started road riding 2 months ago. I started with a friend to give me advice, and we ride once a week, sometimes just the 2 of us, sometimes with an organized ride from the Y. My first ride was 35 miles, but usually we do about 25. Since we live in Socal, there are a lot of hills, and last week I did a pretty big hill for the first time.

I will give you the advice my friend is giving me on how to get ready. She said since I am doing the flat ride, I need to work distance, not necessarily steep hills. She said we need to get started building up longer rides; up to about 40 miles shortly and then 50. She tells me to ride at the back of the group, but she always rides behind me to offer advice on gear changes coming up, traffic patterns, etc.

I am still so new at this and have trouble clipping in/out sometimes at stops etc. When we ride with the group, I am slower--usually riding around 14 mph, while much of the group is hitting 17-20 mph. She is not concerned with my speed, but emphasizes the importance of time in the saddle to get ready for the torture that lies ahead.

My best suggestion to you is find your local cycling club and tag along for a light ride, find a buddy with experience to ride with, and just keep plugging along. Oh, and I understand a good pair of gel shorts is necessary for the century :)

good luck!!
  • georgiajuly
    georgiajuly Posts: 126
    Options
    I'm still struggling to make it to a metric century, so my experience is limited.
    However, try this thread:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/202500-mfp-cycling-club

Good luck!
  • Bentrain
    Bentrain Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    The best advice is to find a local group of cyclist and get with them. Ask at local bike shops if they have a newbie ride. I did my first century 5 years ago 5 month after getting into cycling. I now do 4 or 5 century's a year.
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    I bike long distance a lot and once you have your bike set up properly and you start doing longer rides, nutrition is very important.

I posted my long-ride cocktail drink here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/rebeccabarter/view/the-endurance-workout-cocktail-112031
  • Jennahc
    Jennahc Posts: 1
    Options
    I started doing long distances last year. I started training with Team in Training. Its a fundraising organization for Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. They have coaches that can train anyone! When i say anyone- I mean it. I have done 4 centuries since last June (3 with TNT). I encourage you to look up your local chapter and see if its a good fir for you.