Anyone else, non-diabetic, have issues with blood sugar?

Options
I am hypoglycemic. It's the most annoying thing in the world. AND, it makes this whole dieting/cutting back thing nearly impossible. I don't even LIKE chocolate, but whenever my sugar drops, I HAVE to have it. When my blood sugar drops, it REALLY drops, and I mean, it's only a matter of 2 hours after I've JUST eaten. UGH!!

I just had to vent a little.

Replies

• sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    The only time my blood sugar drops is if I have REALLY misbehaved and over indulged in simple carbs / sugar. After all that sugar causes a huge insulin release in my body, I then bottom out. The only way to prevent it if I overindulge is to eat protein. You would think by now I would learn to behave. Ugh. I love sugar WAY too much and have so LITTLE self control....which explains the whole being fat thing. :huh:
  • criscruz
    criscruz Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm also hypoglycemic. I try to avoid sugar for the most part but that's not always an option. I eat every 2-3 hours so I try to do smaller meals. For the most part that's kept it under control but when I wasn't too careful I had lots of dizzy/fainting episodes, which were of course no fun at all!

And I LOVE chocolate! haha
  • michelle_mareshfuehrer
    michelle_mareshfuehrer Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I have insulin resistance--I'm not diabetic, but I have to be really careful with blood sugar as well. It's hard.
  • Soozcat
    Soozcat Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Have you tried eating Smarties when your blood sugar goes low? (The American kind, not the British kind.) They're almost pure dextrose (aka glucose) so they raise blood sugar quickly. And a whole roll is something like 25 calories.
  • jakadence
    jakadence Posts: 2
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I have succeeded in staying away from chocolate. If I need that quick spike, I grab a fiber plus chocolate bar. I spoke with a dietician and was assured that consuming a moderate amount of carbs helps. I’ve never deprived my carb intake, and it really doesn’t hinders my weight-loss efforts. My mom who is also hypoglycemic and is an epileptic as a result of due negligence insists that orange juice helps her. Its a little too sweet for me, but I the Publix brand Vitamin D and Calcium enriched orange juice is not as sweet. Hope this helps!
  • suziewoos
    suziewoos Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes me but in the opposite way!

I have glucose intolerance and am prediabetic (7.9 fasting in UK, they like you to be 6.9 I think here) so not given any meds as such. My fasting bloods are high in the morning. I am told my liver dumps a load of sugar over night in my blood and my body is not producing insulin (think I have got that right - its confusing!) Some low GI foods (porriage for example) send my sugars high - Its like fighting a loosing battle but I am loosing 1lb a week give or take so I keep going.

I dont eat sweets/cakes or have a lot of fruit but its still a battle. I have a table spoon of cooked carbs for example in a meal or I go high again - nightmare.

Were you told if you lose weight it would go away?
  • minni2906
    minni2906 Posts: 182
    Options
    No. My doctor hasn't said if losing the weight I want will make it go away. I've bern watching my diet and monitoring what I eat. Keeping track of what I ate before my sugar dropped, I can't find any type of pattern or trigger foods or anyting.