How many calories do you burn at the gym?

Options
Hi everyone!
So i just finished my first month at the gym...right now i'm averaging 350-450 calories from cardio + I'm doing strength training on top of that...I'm a total newbie to the gym & a newbie to getting my but doing actual exercise...but I'm curious, how many calories do you fine folks burn each gym visit & how many days a week do you go?

Just askin!

-K

Replies

• artschoolgirl
    artschoolgirl Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    So i just finished my first month at the gym...right now i'm averaging 350-450 calories from cardio + I'm doing strength training on top of that...I'm a total newbie to the gym & a newbie to getting my but doing actual exercise...but I'm curious, how many calories do you fine folks burn each gym visit & how many days a week do you go?

Just askin!

-K
  • fit4fun
    Options
    That sounds about right where I am. My day usually averages between 400-600 calories that I get to eat back. Haha, That's how I have to look at it. Sometimes it will actually get me to run an extra mile or stay on the trainer for an extra 10 minutes, because I will be calculating what I get to eat extra now. What a loser haha! But sounds like you are doing awesome!
  • mamakitty
    Options
    I do about the same. I did get a heart rate monitor and found out what I was burning was different that what the machines said, almost 100 calories off. So just be careful relying on the machines.
    Good luck.

MK
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    that sounds about typical. i think for me in general, i burn about 500 calories an hour, depending on my intensity that day. on days i do cardio and strength training in the same day, (for 2 hours total) i am usually in the 1000 range...i loooove my HRM!
  • McKnightAM
    McKnightAM Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    i am a newbie at the gym too,,(used to live at one basically, but over the years quit,, back on the horse) i burn about 600-800 calories a day... and finish it off with a nice relaxing time in the sauna!!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    It depends on the day for me...if it's leg day, I'll burn about 400 in an hour of lifting but I don't do any cardio. If it's a lifting day, I'll burn about 600-700 between lifting and cardio which takes about 90 minutes total. If it's just a heavy cardio day, I'll do two one-hour classes and burn 1000-1200 calories in that time.
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    i do zumba 3 times a week and i burn around 700 calories in an hour... i also walk about 1-2 hours a day and burn around 500 calories on average
  • arjames82
    Options
    It depends on what type of workout I'm doing. I wear a Polar F6 heart rate monitor. It has a chest strap, so it constantly monitors my heart rate. When I workout, I aim to keep my heart rate above 140 BPM, which is 70% of my maximum heart rate.

When I do an hour long group cycle class, I average between 850-950 calories. When I work out with my trainer for an hour, I usually burn between 550-750 calories, depending on what he has me doing. After I work out with the trainder, I do at least 30 minutes of cardio, and I usually get in another 500 calories.
  • artschoolgirl
    artschoolgirl Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Wow! This is great! Thanks for the feedback everyone!!!!