Another belly question...

Options
How do I know if my belly is fat or just skin from having kids? If it's skin then no amount of me trying to get rid of it is going to work. Can a doctor tell me, or do I need to go to a plastic surgeon. Can a personal trainer tell me? I'm sure I have a little bit of fat, but I think it's mostly skin, I'd like to know for sure, so I don't keep going crazy trying to get rid of it when only a tummy tuck can finish off whatever is left there.

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Question for the DR.
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I am in the same damn boat sister!!! I am going to see what happens if I lose an extra 5lbs and continue toning. If I don't see progress in 3 months... I am getting a consulation for micro-laser assisted body contouring.
  • michelle2808
    Options
    I would like to know too!
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    The doctors usualy give free consultation for plastic surgery. Also, my ob/gyn looked at me after the first chid and said, "loose skin...." I really wanted a tummy tuck last year, and saw 2 plastic surgeons. The first told me that I had a large hernia/separated muscles. He pushed my intestines back into my gut! It was wierd, like he reached into me. In the morning, I look alot slimmer. By mid day, it's like I'm 3 month pregnant. Unfortunately, I haven't had the operation. I read up on the recovery, which is super tough. My toddler jumps on me too much and is very hyper. So, I'm waiting until he is school aged and calms down more.

I weigh 147 and got down to 137 last summer. At that weight, I still had a little bit of a belly, but not much. It was still much worse at the end of the day. And, my skin is all 'strange' looking.

If men went through this, there would be no kids.
  • wwperry
    wwperry Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I just read a little about this in the Dukan Diet Book. He says that if you've lost over 15 lbs that it can take up to 6 months for your skin to catch up with the fat loss in the tummy. After 6 months... that's as good as it gets.
  • amerr
    amerr Posts: 190
    Options
    I just read a little about this in the Dukan Diet Book. He says that if you've lost over 15 lbs that it can take up to 6 months for your skin to catch up with the fat loss in the tummy. After 6 months... that's as good as it gets.

That's good to know. It's been 3 years since my last kid. I guess it's just staying put unless I get a tummy tuck.
  • ngiad
    ngiad Posts: 1
    Options
    The doctors usualy give free consultation for plastic surgery. Also, my ob/gyn looked at me after the first chid and said, "loose skin...." I really wanted a tummy tuck last year, and saw 2 plastic surgeons. The first told me that I had a large hernia/separated muscles. He pushed my intestines back into my gut! It was wierd, like he reached into me. In the morning, I look alot slimmer. By mid day, it's like I'm 3 month pregnant. Unfortunately, I haven't had the operation. I read up on the recovery, which is super tough. My toddler jumps on me too much and is very hyper. So, I'm waiting until he is school aged and calms down more.

I weigh 147 and got down to 137 last summer. At that weight, I still had a little bit of a belly, but not much. It was still much worse at the end of the day. And, my skin is all 'strange' looking.

If men went through this, there would be no kids.

My doctor told me the same thing about having seperated muscles after my c-section. She called it a "diastasis". I asked her what in the world she was talking about and what could I do to fix it! She told me to check out something called the "Tupler Technique". It's a series of excercises that are supposed to move your muscles back to the right places in your stomach created by a female doctor. I ordered the DVD and watched a small portion of it (I also have a toddler so it's hard to focus on anything too long). I have done the first exercise and just from doing that one I can tell a difference. My doctor said it corrected hers and several of her other patients. You might want to give it a try. I wish I had used it more and could tell you more about it...
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I ordered the book