calories on vitamins

Options
jenkamac
jenkamac Posts: 61 Member
alright, this is really stupid but I kind of don't want to take my vitamins because they have calories in them! I already have a small intake of calories per day because of my size (1200) so 30 calories for 2 vitamin C and 25 for 2 fish oil is a lot of calories to me! I know that's dumb....does everyone else count the calories in their vitamins? Or, does anyone else see this as a problem or think this is ridiculous? :)

Replies

• kanga1980
    kanga1980 Posts: 22
    Options
    Probably the most important calories of your day! Take them!
    I log my vitamins because I like to see all the nutrients I am getting for the day.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    honestly....this is ridiculous. just walk up a set of stairs once or twice and you will be okay. Remember, even just sitting at your desk you might burn 40-50 cals per hour. So, I think you are okay to take vitamins :smile:
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Vitamins are an essential part of a balanced diet. You should ideally get them from food sources, but at your size, supplements are a good alternative. I also think that 55 calories should NOT make/break your day. If you go 55cal/day over - you should still be able to reach your goals (since MFP builds a deficit)
  • rocksteadyxriot
    Options
    I don't count my vitamins. They're important to take and the calorie count really doesn't matter, because for me the nutrients are the important part. It's a minescule amount anyway, I say forget it! :)
  • jlm1182
    jlm1182 Posts: 19
    Options
    I count them. Mine are 20cal - Its totally not ridiculous, every calorie counts. It all adds up girl. :)
  • Keri_girl
    Keri_girl Posts: 44
    Options
    This is actually a really great point that I didn't even consider! Thank you for bringing this up! I take multiple vitamins a day; multi-vitamin, c and d; so I'm curious how that could impact my calories. I probably won't count them towards my calories but its still good to know. :flowerforyou:
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you...even at maintenance my calorie in take is only 1330. I log my vitamins, sounds silly but hey, they are still calories!
  • jenkamac
    jenkamac Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    okay yeah..it's ridiculous. Agreed. I'm still going to take them, I realize they're good for you. Can't they just make calorie free vitamins??
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I already have a small intake of calories per day because of my size (1200) so 30 calories for 2 vitamin C and 25 for 2 fish oil is a lot of calories to me!
    Yeah, I'm small so it's the same for me too.
    does everyone else count the calories in their vitamins?
    Yes, I do. Then again, I count the calories in EVERYTHING.
    Or, does anyone else see this as a problem or think this is ridiculous? :)
    I don't think it's ridiculous, but nor do I think it's a problem.

Look at it this way. 50 extra calories a day is going to slow our weight loss down by only 1lb every 70 days. Personally, I think it's worth it. No matter how healthily I try and eat, 1200 calories is the bare minimum for nutrients and I like having the backup of having a multivitamin and mineral, and I do believe that the chances of my fish oil supplements contributing to my wellbeing are high enough to make the calories worthwhile.
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    You should take your vitamins. Seriously if the calorie content in vitamins is deterring you from taking them, you need to take a step back and reassess your priorities. Is your overall health more important or just calorie goals and losing weight? If you aren't getting enough nutrients in the food you eat, you should take vitamins. But don't deny yourself them because they have calories...