Just bought a pair of Vibram Five Fingers Bikila LS...

Options
phog007
phog007 Posts: 29 Member
I just bought a pair of the Vibram Bikila LS. Why I must admit I personally think they may very well be the ugliest running shoes I have ever owned, I am hoping they cut down on my all too frequent knee issues from running.

I read a great book called "Born to Run" which brought up the natural barefoot style of running. One thing led to another and I found myself at the Running Store dropping a pair on the counter.

I am curious what others experiences have been?

I know to start slow with them supplementing my runs with my regular shoes. Any other advice?

Thanks,
Jeremy
m358-hero.jpg

Replies

• AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    i love mine and they have helped SO much with my knee pain! take your time getting used to them (like walk around your house in em). ive had mine since xmas and only run 6 miles and under in them
  • ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options
    Apparently, you need to soak em in vinegar once in a while, or they get "vibram stink" which has been compared to among other things, dead animals. :) I dont know if that's the case with the bikilas since they have that sock liner.

Have fun, I hear running in vibrams is a blast!
  • srtiemann
    srtiemann Posts: 76
    Options
    :laugh: Ok, all I have to say is that are the uglies shoes I have ever seen! Sorry but thanks for the laugh.:laugh:
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    My husband and I both got vibrams a few months ago. I only walk in them; he jogs. We both LOVE them!! I have had knee issues in the past and they are really awesome for my knees. I experience way less pain than when I walk in sneakers (don't know if it matters but I usually go barefoot as much as possible otherwise). My husband says now when he tries jogging in regular sneakers they feel like cinder blocks. He has had some issues with shin pain, though, but he didn't ease into wearing them.

Two of my friends, who both run marathons, also have vibrams and love them, although neither of them wears them for that length I don't think. Both of them advised getting into them slowly. They each do 5-10 miles regularly and said they suggest doing 1 or 2 miles in vibrams for a few weeks before building up.

Hope this helps, and I hope you like them! :)
  • mamijujuphat
    mamijujuphat Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    They are about the ugliest running shoes I've seen....but I guess if they're comfortable ....
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    i think they look cool and everything i've read about them has been positive. i'm actually going to a running store tonight to see what they have in stock.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I've seen a bum that walked around barefoot all day and the bottom of his feet seemed to naturally have the same type of tread... and COLOR! I'm pretty sure I saw "Bridgestone" etched somewhere along the sides too.
  • StacLegg
    StacLegg Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    lucky!!
    can't wait till I can get a pair!! keep us updated with what you think!! =)
  • julslea
    julslea Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Bump. I want a pair so bad. May have to break down and get some!
  • julslea
    julslea Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I've seen a bum that walked around barefoot all day and the bottom of his feet seemed to naturally have the same type of tread... and COLOR! I'm pretty sure I saw "Bridgestone" etched somewhere along the sides too.

:laugh:
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I have been running in vibrams since the beginning of the year and now run in them every day. They do give your feet a hard workout so break into it slowly. Expect some calf soreness at first also. Running with good form is important since there is not an inch of foam on the bottom to shield your feet from mistakes.

They (and a new found good running form) have cured my knee pain and shin splints are a thing of the past.
  • thkelly
    Options
    I just bought a pair of the Vibram Bikila LS.
    Thanks,
    Jeremy

what made you get the Bikilas? curious...
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of the Trek Sports. I run on the roads in them, but afraid to do the trails. It takes a while to get used to them. If you don't transition slowly, you can really hurt yourself. I have done 3 half marathons in mine and wear them everywhere, including work. :love:

Love 'em!! :drinker:
  • phog007
    Options
    I just bought a pair of the Vibram Bikila LS.
    Thanks,
    Jeremy

what made you get the Bikilas? curious...

Everything I read indicated this was the first one specifically for running. And I read somewhere that the laces versus the strap allowed people with wider feet (me) to get a better fit.
  • phog007
    Options
    I have a pair of the Trek Sports. I run on the roads in them, but afraid to do the trails. It takes a while to get used to them. If you don't transition slowly, you can really hurt yourself. I have done 3 half marathons in mine and wear them everywhere, including work. :love:

Love 'em!! :drinker:

Do you wear socks with your? Do they stretch at all? I bought socks. They are a little snug with the socks on, but I tried the the next size up and they just felt like the toes flopped at the end.
  • jjhenry5
    jjhenry5 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've had a pair of KSOs and am now in a pair of Komodo Sports. I love them. No knee pain anymore. I've been running exclusively in them for almost 18 months (excepting barefoot.) I've done a couple of halfs and a full in them. Breaking yourself in slowly is definitely the way to go.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Not much else I can add. Probably the only thing that can't be said too much is start slow. It was several weeks before I could run the day after a vibram run. Even if the 2nd day was in shoes.

I was up to 5 miles last summer in my KSO's, just starting to pick back up again after regular shoes over the winter. I also just bought a pair of Komodo sports, haven't run in them yet.

I originally bought the KSO's and never wore socks in them. But I picked up a pair of the real thin ones to wear in my KSO's and really do prefere the socks. I have a regular weight pair for the komodos.

I didn't experience the stink many people get without wearing the socks, I guess if you let them dry quick, it's no big deal?
  • thkelly
    Options
    I've had a pair of KSOs and am now in a pair of Komodo Sports. I love them. No knee pain anymore. I've been running exclusively in them for almost 18 months (excepting barefoot.) I've done a couple of halfs and a full in them. Breaking yourself in slowly is definitely the way to go.

can you give some details on how you broke yours in? what kind of distance were you running in them when you first got them?
    how long before you felt they were totally broken in?
  • phog007
    Options
    Well, I did four miles in them last night with no major pains this morning....

The only issue I have so far, is I am one of the 10% of the world that has a second toe slightly longer than my big toe. So it is pretty tight and uncomfortable. I have found several website where people describe issues to stretch them. I will try it and see.

P.S. The run was awesome. I really did feel light and clean. Also, I usually have to run a mile or so for the knee pain to subside, but this time knees felt great from step one!
  • thkelly
    Options

P.S. The run was awesome. I really did feel light and clean. Also, I usually have to run a mile or so for the knee pain to subside, but this time knees felt great from step one!

that's what i'm most interested in finding out. the first mile is always the worst for me. shins and knees take forever to get warmed up