Do you keep temptation in reach or purge the house?

Options
Hey all, was wondering if you keep temptation close by and use your will power to avoid it, knowing it is right there, or do you make sure there is noting around to derail you like in out of sight, out of mind?

I do a lot of cub scout stuff and so I currently have the making of Smore's on my kitchen shelf.

I have resisted and am very proud of it.

Replies

• JaycrazyRose
    JaycrazyRose Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I try to keep all of the stuff out of my place and when I visit my friends I avoid eating those things.
  • armywife121110
    Options
    Right now I'm staying with my parents and they have ALL the temptation in the world at your finger tips but when I'm in my own house, I dont keep anything i shouldn't eat in the house. The way I see it if I want it I have to go get it and 9 chances out of 10 I dont feel like going to get it!!
  • numnumnums
    numnumnums Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    No choice but to will power it 'cos i don't live alone, but if i did? I'd have nothing tempting around.
  • adrianamezam
    Options
    i don't live alone, so i don't have the luxury of purging. currently, there's ice cream in the freezer and about 5 dozen cupcakes of various flavors...i think we have chocolate creme, cookies-n-creme, strawberry and red velvet :( also, an arrey of chips and cookies, not to mention the chocolate milk in the fridge :'( i'm super proud of myself! i've been able to resist it ALL!! :D
  • gumby101ca
    gumby101ca Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    the temptation is there , but im able to fight it off .. but sometimes i treat myself to something good ..LOL
  • pdxscarlett
    pdxscarlett Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Smores? omg! I would have ate them already. I really have to watch what I bring into the house. I'm just not as strong as I would like to be. I'm hoping in time I can improve on my wheel power but for now I am much better off just not buying it.

Kudos on your resistance

~S
  • dhammond5
    dhammond5 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I try to keep healthy snacks in the house at the same time. I let myself indulge, but keep it in moderation and work out.
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I do not buy anything that will tempt me. In the beginning my family complained but now they are all eating healthier because of it.
  • erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    My fiancé keeps snacks in the house, but I generally only bring treats for myself in small portions so I can indulge without worrying about binging.
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I have lots of foods that I can not eat, (cereal, bread, chips, cheese, etc) and have it in my home for the rest of the family. I keep it because I have to learn to live with the temptation all around me. That's how life is. You can't control every situation so you have to learn to say no...even in your own home.
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I have things in the house. Usually I forget I have it. I have my weak times though, or I figure it in, then I go for it. I'm not going to throw food away just cuz it's not something I should have. I will eventually allow myself some, then when it's gone, I don't replace it. I like to bake but don't care all that much for eating it, so I spoil my guys at work! :-)
  • mattbryan
    mattbryan Posts: 147
    Options
    With kids around, having temptation around is almost unavoidable. However, the treats that "I" like aren't here. For some reason, the Little Debbie stuff doesn't tempt me anymore. When I have a craving now, it's usually for crunchy, salty snacks (chips, popcorn, etc.). We only keep those in limited supply.
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I try to eat only what I buy and avoid all the food my mom makes for the rest of the family, since its kind of unhealthy often. But if I buy myself a peanut butter it just doesnt last all week as I have imagined and I cannot resist it.
    So basically I avoid temptation as much as I can:)
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I actually keep it within reach ... if I know its there and I can have it any time I actually do a better job of avoiding it. Its when I dont have anything... and I want something... I am like a rat in a cage and will blow calories on the stuff I DONT want when if I just had one bite of what I wanted I would be happy.
  • destinyag
    destinyag Posts: 26
    Options
    Well, I've been living with my boyfriend's mom for two years and she eats TERRIBLY. She has the worst stuff on hand allll the time (like literally THIRTY boxes of girl scout cookies right next to the garage freezer where I keep all my frozen healthy stuff). It's understood that I COULD eat her food if I really wanted to, but I always glance at it knowing that it's going to get eaten, so I don't need to worry about it. Plus, (and maybe this is really rotten of me) I kind of give myself kudos every time I see another unhealthy box of junk enter the pantry, knowing that's the kind of decision I'm NOT making anymore.

Myself? I eat what I buy, so I know if I buy bad stuff, I will eat the bad stuff. The only exception is 1 Magnum bar on Sundays and the occasional full-fat-awful-for-you-heart-attack-inducing-movie-theater-butter popcorn for movie nights a few times a month.
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Out of the house - that way if I *really* need to splurge, I have to go get it. Helps me both limit myself to when I *reaaaallly* want it, and that way I get to have exactly what I want at the moment I'm going to splurge.
  • LuluGirl140
    LuluGirl140 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I keep everything in the house, because of my kids and husband. I don't get tempted too bad, I make sure and snack on something healthy when my husband is eating it. I don't crave the kids snacks so that's not an issue. However, I have noticed that my husband wants to snack on what I am snacking on, so I'm trying to buy more fresh fruit, yummy crackers and stuff like that. I also have low fat granola bars around so that helps with my cravings for something sweet. I haven't cut anything out of my diet, so if I want it I'll have it in moderation. Thank goodness I haven't gone too overboard!
  • SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    Living alone it's easier to control what comes into the house. However, there are still times when you have stuff around for company that requires a bit of will power.

My suggestion - get the cub scouts over to eat the s'mores...yesterday! lol
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I have a "nothing is off limits" approach, so there's no temptation. If I want to eat it, I know I either have to make it fit in my calories, or go over. Usually... I make it fit.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    "If I own it, I will eat it." So I purge the house. I have found several healthy alternatives, so there is no reason to keep a lot of that stuff anyway. If I do buy a "treat" it is in the smallest package available.