Any women have breast reduction surgery?

Options
Hi all -
I've been working my butt off (literally) since January to get in shape for my friends wedding that's this weekend. I was so excited to go shopping for a great dress to debut my new self to my friends that I haven't seen in a long time, just to be disappointed that my top half still wants to stay a size 16, when the rest of me is a 12 (or smaller, I don't know because there's no way I could get anything under a 12 to fit over my boobs).

So has anyone had a reduction procedure? If so, please let me know if it was a good decision, and how you went about getting your insurance to cover it.

Thanks!

Replies

• PNWriter
    PNWriter Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jtns
    jtns Posts: 11
    Options
    I did. Biggest mistake of my life. My nipples are on too high so sports bras cut across them and regular bras are completely unusable. I have a permanent tiny hole on one aereola that constantly collects sebum and needs extracting.. I have extreme scarring. My breasts aren't shaped right. I could go on and on with my woes. Don't do it. Your breasts will shrink as you lose weight.

and to the 1st commenter- what the heck do you mean "bump"?????
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    All I can say is be SURE you want them. I had big boobs, was a D-DD and was thinking about having a reduction. When I lost all the weight, I lost all the boobs, and now I want them back to where they were. Now im pretty certain that I want implants....
  • BGent
    BGent Posts: 112
    Options
    I was completely satisfied with the decision to have reduction surgery. My doctor suggested someone for me to seem, which was a plastic surgeon, and if they felt it was medically necessary then my insurance would cover it. I would suggest a plastic surgeon so your scars are minimal. Hope this helps!
  • lnadeau66
    lnadeau66 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Mine is scheduled for November, that was the soonest that I could get in, I can't wait!. And yes, my insurance is covering it.
  • Keri_girl
    Keri_girl Posts: 44
    Options
    I had my reduction in October and it was the absolute best decision I've ever made! I'm 34, was a 44DD (or F depending on the bra) and I went down to a 38C. There was one point about 10 years ago that I lost 30lbs and actually went UP a cup size! I was out of work for 2 weeks and then returned to work on limited duty for 4 weeks. You wear a sports bra day and night for 6 weeks and have to sleep on your back but honestly it was the easiest recovery ever. I literally slept for 2 weeks. The only problem I had was not being able to drive for 2 weeks and needing assistance getting the sports bra back on after showering.

My insurance covered the entire procedure too because it was a medical necessity. The regulations for my insurance to cover the procedure was that a minimum of 350grams of tissue needed to be removed during the procedure. Aside from the dents in my shoulders, the pain in my back and neck and the rashes that I had...my surgeon removed 3lbs of tissue during the surgery (490grams from the right and 560grams from the left.) My surgeon also automatically sends the tissue for breast cancer screening!!

If you are in the Boston Massachusetts area I'd be glad to tell you the name and location of my surgeon! If not my recommedation is meet with a few different surgeons and get a feel for who you are comfortable with. Also check with your insurance company to find out their guidelines regarding the procedure. Go to your appointment with all the information you can to make the best decision for you.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    If you keep on losing body fat they will get smaller eventually. I really thought mine wouldn't, but they have finally, I just had to get well within my healthy BMI. They are still very big for my frame (30G), but much smaller than they were.
  • robinaddison
    robinaddison Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I had it done - went from a 36G to a large C/small D. Only regret was not having it done sooner!! Absolutely go to a plastic surgeon - and check references too. A good doctor will determine if the procedure is medically necessary, and then bill your insurance appropriately.
  • curlgirl_03
    curlgirl_03 Posts: 49
    Options
    I've had the surgery almost 6 months ago and I don't regret it at all. I was an F and had always been busty since around 8th grade. It's a wonderful decision to make im my opinion... My gyno referred me and after the surgery (i'm a C now) I healed pretty quickly and they look awesome lol. He did a reduction and included a lift :blushing: The healing process is annoying after a while but its worth it, IMO.

There's no "trick" to getting your insurance to cover it.. either they will or they won't.
  • BGent
    BGent Posts: 112
    Options
    Just wanted to add that in my family all of the women have large breasts so surgery was the best option since we came by ours naturally. Again, I strongly suggest you get a recommendation from your doctor. They will help you make the best decision for your body. Mine agreed I should have a reduction since I lost 30 lbs. and still had the same bra size. My mom and sister have also had reductions. My mom did have some of the problems that jtns mentioned. My sister had zero problems with her reduction.
  • Keri_girl
    Keri_girl Posts: 44
    Options
    Just to add to my post....I lost nipple sensativity only on one side, my scars are nearly gone and my doctor did liposuction under my arms to even the area out and reduce that lumpy look. He and his office were extremely professional and always available for questions. Even at the time of surgery when he came into the OR holding area to do his surgical markings he paperclipped the curtain closed for total privacy.
  • playful82
    playful82 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    oh wow so many bad feedback. i had mine done about a year now and i love the size. i still think its a little big but i am happy with it. I can find tops that actually fit me. and all my cute bras fitted me again. so i was happy. however you need to get a good surgeon. a friend recommended one to me and i had my dr do a referral. it was covered under the insurance. so i didnt have to pay a penny.
    at first i was freaking out about the scars but mine is fading away now, even the dr was impressed with how fast it was healed and fade.
    its good if you lost the weight first. with me i did it and i am now trying to lose the weight. they would have a better portion size you ur already at ur ideal weight.
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Forgot to put this in the original post: I'm at a 38DDD, and that's as small as they are going to get. That's what they were in high school, too, when I was skinny and active. My first 12 lbs of loss came from my chest, now they are stuck, and everything else is getting smaller, lol.

Thanks for all the feedback, I'll definitely have to look into my insurance.
  • maxzorro
    maxzorro Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I had a breast reduction when I was 27 years old and went from an F to a C. I have never regretted my decision to have the surgery.
    I am now 41 and have gained approximately 10 lbs since then and I am up to a DD! It's like my chest just keeps growing over the years! I am curious to see if I lose the 10 lbs. what will happen to my bra size :) Hopefully I'll go back to a C cup.
  • BradNC
    BradNC Posts: 51
    Options
    Is it weird that a guy is commenting on this thread? Oh well...

My wife (now ex) had it done when she was 27 or 28. She was a tennis player and pretty fit, so they weren't going anywhere with any further weight reduction. She was a DD or F, depending on what it was. She began to have back pain, and evidentially that's the key for the insurance to step up and cover things. Her reduction went extremely well and she (like others in the thread) had a lift at the same time. She went to a C and has never regretted it. She enjoyed being able to fit into the "girlie" tops instead of wearing stuff to fit her boobs but was baggy on the rest of her.

Of course, I had a reduction of my own, and that was the best 140lbs I've ever shed (hence being my ex) - but that's another story :)
  • Triquetra
    Triquetra Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I went from G to D about 4 years ago after I had my children and it was the best decision I ever made. Just make sure you do your research really well on the doctor and procedure prior to getting it done.
  • fallon144
    fallon144 Posts: 40
    Options
    I had a reduction, lift and implant and I never regretted it for a second! My insurance did not cover it since it was not medically necessary so I saved the money, found an amazing surgeon, and never looked back!

Everyone reacts differently to the surgery as everyones body is different. My breasts were uneven and I waited until I was done growing (as per my dr) and had the surgery at age 24.

Go for it! Good luck!
  • Rocknsynchrogrl
    Options
    Im glad there was already a topic on this because I was about ready to start on. Much like the original poster I got super excited to put on some of my old formal dresses this weekend for a wedding and they fit everywhere except the chest. I have more weight to lose, so I don't want to make the decision until I'm at my goal but part of me thinks it will be a motivator to run more etc. Plus I have extremely bad back issues. Another part of me wonders if I should just wait until after I have kids.

I was a D when I was at my thinnest and am currently a DD (I think my left is even bigger than that). I had the surgery approved by my insurance when I was 16 and just couldn't go through with it (back when I was a D). I would love some advice! I'm 5'1 if that helps at all.
  • Daisy_May
    Daisy_May Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I went from a 40H to a 38DD 2 years ago, bet thing I have ever done!

I've been down to 150lbs and was STILL the same size so I know weight loss wasn't going to change a thing. The only draw back is I've lost a lot of sensation in my breasts, the only part I can actually still feel is my nipples(thank god for small favours lol).

It was a long recovery ( a month before I could work) as I got a pretty bad infection from them leaving my drain tubes in too long but in the end it was still worth it. I wish I had of done it yers ago!!

I live in Ontario Canada and it was all covered by OHIP except for the sides which I piad 1200 to get done.
  • jlpdelorme
    jlpdelorme Posts: 44
    Options
    I just had mine done 6 weeks ago and can already tell you that it was the best decision I have ever made. I am so happy with them! My recovery was very easy (although I know a lot are not). I was tired the first couple of days but believe it or not I really had no pain. I lost weight before I had mine done (although I have about 20 lbs left to lose). My scars already look wonderful and I didn't lose any sensation in the nipples. I was wearing a 38 DD and spilling out of it so I am not sure what size I actually was. Now I am a large C/small D and they don't hang to my belly button anymore!!LOL My insurance covered it because they deemed it medically necessary. I was having headaches, neck pain, groves in my shoulders, etc. I have to pay 15% of the surgery but it is well worth it. I just got the OK to start jogging again so I can't wait to see what that feels like!!! Any question, feel free to email me!