Which exercise should I take up - Pilates/Aerobics or yoga??

Options
I'm a diabetic, with asthma and suffer occassionally from bouts of psoriasis.
I really need to lose weight and keep it off for health reasons - and obviously for my own self-esteem.
I really can't decide which exercise to take up - does anyone do any of these exercises?

I walk the dog and walk about all day with my work, but feel it's not enough.

Jackie

Replies

• Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I'm a diabetic, with asthma and suffer occassionally from bouts of psoriasis.
    I really need to lose weight and keep it off for health reasons - and obviously for my own self-esteem.
    I really can't decide which exercise to take up - does anyone do any of these exercises?

I walk the dog and walk about all day with my work, but feel it's not enough.

Jackie
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I love all of those! They really go hand in hand.

Keep in mind, they will be hard at first, so don't let yourself get discouraged but KNOW that it'll get better.

Pilates is great to both stretch and strengthen the muscles and it really focuses on the core... which is very important as most people do not have strong enough cores. It's very much like a dancers workout in that it's designed to get you to extend those muscles and build long/lean muscles. It increased my core strength faster than anything else I'd tried.

I also love Yoga... but it really depends on what kind you do. I love Vinyasa flow style, because it really heats those muscles up while you are practicing, so you also get a better stretch... and it builds all over body strength too.

As for aerobics... aerobics is good but shouldn't be your only source of physical activity as it doesn't hit everything you need to focus on. But for an additional cardio burn it's get to do in addition to other workouts. I recommend either Pilates or Yoga first because then you'll be building up some lean muscle mass too!
  • Jackie_W
    Options
    Thanks for the advise, I'm gonna go along to my local gym and see what they have to offer me :happy:
    Jackie
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Find something you like. Try everything - twice - don't let one experience guide you. There are a lot of different types of yoga, aerobics, and pilates. Find out what works right for you. Your doctor should be able to tell you if you need to limit anything - like stay away from step classes, etc.

Oh, and if walking the dog is too easy, walk faster. Make it feel like exercise. :flowerforyou:
  • psyknife
    Options
    Agreed! Things need to challenge us in order to invote change... so definitely give everything a fightning chance. As a friend of mine says "pain (muscle soreness) is just weakness leaving the body."
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I started my weight loss journey 1.5 years ago with yoga, and loved it. It was tough-- it took dedication. I haven't tried Pilates, mainly because I don't have a strong core and I'm scare to try it! :laugh:

Good luck with whatever path you choose! Try it all!
  • psyknife
    Options
    I haven't tried Pilates, mainly because I don't have a strong core and I'm scare to try it!

The point of pilates is to create a strong core (people don't just naturally come by that)... don't be afraid. Revel in the challenge. Attaining a strong core is very important... sure, it'll be hard at first, but it's worth it for your all around health, isn't it?

A big thing I try to tell people... the point of taking classes, or anything really, is to choose things that you ARE NOT good at. If you are not good at something then you have somewhere to go with it. Everyone wants to be perfect right at the start... but if you are, then your body is not going to change. To create change you need to challenge yourself, try new things, and get over fear.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried Pilates, mainly because I don't have a strong core and I'm scare to try it!

The point of pilates is to create a strong core (people don't just naturally come by that)... don't be afraid. Revel in the challenge. Attaining a strong core is very important... sure, it'll be hard at first, but it's worth it for your all around health, isn't it?

A big thing I try to tell people... the point of taking classes, or anything really, is to choose things that you ARE NOT good at. If you are not good at something then you have somewhere to go with it. Everyone wants to be perfect right at the start... but if you are, then your body is not going to change. To create change you need to challenge yourself, try new things, and get over fear.

Okay..... really good point *sigh*.
    Maybe I'll try a home Pilates dvd first :wink:
  • psyknife
    Options
    Honestly... if you have access to a class I'd recommend doing that because then you have the instructor to make sure you are doing the form properly on the moves.
    Remember, when instructors correct your form it is not to humiliate or pick on you... it's to make sure that:
    A.) you will get the most benefit from the exercise
    B.) that you will not hurt yourself

But that's my two cents... as an instructor, maybe I'm biased :);)
  • Jackie_W
    Options
    I was thinking of going the instructor route anyway to be honest - I need all the motiation I can get :laugh:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I've not tried Pilates but have done Aerobics tapes in my own home (years ago though not recently). anyway, I tried Yoga when I first started back in April and to be honest, Cyber, I couldn't do it. I was just too big. My stomach kept getting in the way, I couldn't even begin to do some of the moves, etc. I just started back with it last month.

Not sure what your experience will be with it though. I love it now but still do Yoga here at the house. I'm just too embarrassed to be in a class. I'd love to try Zumba (which is a dance type class) but I'm just too shy about doing stuff like that in front of people. :blushing: Maybe when I loss more weight, I'll feel better about it.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    It's important to find the right class for you. If it will make you feel more comfortable, most decent sized cities offer a "yoga for every body" class. If that is not available, find a teacher that you are comfortable with and will work with your limitations - everyone has limitations - I can't do headstand or shoulder stand because of neck issues, and I'm a teacher.

Good luck.
  • jacmiley
    jacmiley Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    You should do whatever you like ... I do a mix of aerobics and yoga. Days I don't do aerobics I do the yoga to stretch the muscles. I do it on the wii fit so I don't know how much that counts though :-) But basically you have to have fun with it. A friend of mine just found a local gym/studio that has exercise classes doing pole dancing and stuff. Crazy and fun sounds like the perfect combo for me - but you got to find what you like.