Question for those who use a heart rate monitor:

Options
How many calories do you burn versus how many myfitnesspal says? I usually feel like myfitnesspal overestimates how many calories I burn.

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    MFP definitely overestimates on some activities. Some are similar though. It depends.
  • Adrianamdelacruz
    Options
    MFP underestimates my calories burned, I love my hrm which is a Polar FT7
  • timeforme23
    timeforme23 Posts: 461
    Options
    Depends how hard you work at it.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I think the answer here is that your best calorie tracker will ALWAYS be a HRM. The machines at the gym estimate your calories - as does MFP. Only your HRM knows for sure how hard you are working at something - and factors in your weight, gender, level of effort, fitness level (some), etc.... No machine or generic counter can do that...
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that many of the exercises in the MFP data base are on the high side compared to my HRM (Polar FT4). I have a slow heart rate though from being on a beta blocker. I can only get my heart rate up to 115 no matter how hard I exercise. The only thing I have found to be accurate are the figures for walking. Swimming was almost 4 times what I actually burned. Even with my slow heart rate, I know that MFP had to be wrong! I trust my HRM before I do a machine or MFP.