Trigger Foods

Options
So, I think the most important thing I have learned on this journey is to deprive myself as little as possible. This is because if I don't eat a cookie every now and then, I will eat the WHOLE BAG of cookies. Or chocolate, or whatever. That being said, there is one food that I CANNOT have. Corn chips. Any kind. It is totally impossible for me to eat a 'serve' of corn chips (usually around 14, I believe). Once that bag is open, I DO NOT STOP until my hand hits the bottom of the bag and my brain goes, "oh crap, I ate them ALL." Just one cookie? Yup, can do. One little piece of chocolate? No problem. 5 potato chips? Easy. Corn chips? Nope, just can't control myself. Does anyone else have a trigger food that they have to completely avoid?

Replies

• squeaktones
    squeaktones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    jelly beans and oriental snack mix
  • Slinkybaz
    Slinkybaz Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I love creamy cheesy Pasta. I've only been dieting for the last week but haven't been near the stuff yet. If anything will do it, it's probably that. I'm like "It tastes so GOOD, just one more bowl", then another, then another!
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    jelly beans and oriental snack mix

I bought one of those Coscto containers of Jelly Belly jellybeans ONCE. Thank goodness most places sell then in little packets, lol.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    skinny cow ice cream sandwiches and Costco dried fruit and now I think im gonna have to add nutella to the list
  • structuralAnalysis
    Options
    Cookies, hands down. I stay away from them now (haha)
  • partypantalones
    partypantalones Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    right now, i feel like everything is a trigger. :/
    i can't wait until i feel confident enough to allow a couple nibbles
    BUT man, i will say -- what kicked aaaall this off for me WAS chips! so so many of 'em
  • humblemonkey
    humblemonkey Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    also corn chips. its the salty yummy crunchy. If i am alone however, and im watching TV and snacking...I will eat the whole bag of WHATEVER. Being home alone and nothing to do is DANGEROUS. All Iwant to do is eat!!
  • guppygirl322
    Options
    also corn chips. its the salty yummy crunchy. If i am alone however, and im watching TV and snacking...I will eat the whole bag of WHATEVER. Being home alone and nothing to do is DANGEROUS. All Iwant to do is eat!!

SO true.
  • a_dawn
    a_dawn Posts: 47
    Options
    My trigger food isn't food, but dr. pepper. Once I get that first sip of ice cold dr. pepper, it's like "Ahhh, life is good", but just for that moment. I haven't had a pop since I joined MFP, and I haven't missed it, but if I allow myself one as a "reward", then I just keep drinking them. Very addicting...lol.
  • valbar61
    valbar61 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Someone at work has a jar of hot tamales cinnamon candies. This week everytime I pass her desk I grab a few and then later a few more, and a few more ........ I just looked them up tonight and found out that 20 pieces has around 150 cals and 35 carbs. Boy was I mad that myself. Tommorrow I am going to try my best not to eat any. lol
  • muzicgurl02
    muzicgurl02 Posts: 31
    Options
    milk duds and popcorn combo. I can control myself with popcorn, but if I know there's a box of milk duds nearby I can't stop myself to just one :(
  • ellieahearn
    ellieahearn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm like that too but what I've been doing is swap say chips for popcorn. Way less calories and you still get the kind of food your craving. Its really easy once you've figured out what craving and if you do over eat its still less calories then half a packet of chips!

Some others swaps are:
    Icecream for frozen yogurt
    Chocolat to dark chocolate or buy a bar instead of a block (cant eat it if it isn't there)
    Mcdonalds for subway or instead of chips and coke get salad and juice or water
    Fried eggsfor boiled
  • ricochette55
    ricochette55 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter or peanut butter crackers or peanut butter M&Ms...lol! I love peanut butter!!!
  • VanessaFaith
    VanessaFaith Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    OREOs! :noway:
  • doingit4myprincesses
    doingit4myprincesses Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Lays Potato chips and diet pepsi. I will drink diet pepsi all day and if there is a bag of Lays in the house I will eat it. Especially if I am down in the dumps.
  • guppygirl322
    Options
    I'm like that too but what I've been doing is swap say chips for popcorn. Way less calories and you still get the kind of food your craving. Its really easy once you've figured out what craving and if you do over eat its still less calories then half a packet of chips!

Some others swaps are:
    Icecream for frozen yogurt
    Chocolat to dark chocolate or buy a bar instead of a block (cant eat it if it isn't there)
    Mcdonalds for subway or instead of chips and coke get salad and juice or water
    Fried eggsfor boiled

That's pretty much what I have done. Always have loved popcorn, but even more now. And yeah, it's much easier to get small individual packets of cookies, or even a small bag of potato chips, but plain old corn chips? Nope.
  • guppygirl322
    Options
    Lays Potato chips and diet pepsi. I will drink diet pepsi all day and if there is a bag of Lays in the house I will eat it. Especially if I am down in the dumps.

I agree, trigger food + down in the dumps = DISASTER, lol!
  • arotella
    arotella Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    White cake with buttercream frosting is my guilty pleasure! Let's just say weddings and birthdays are very difficult for me! It's not the cake,but the frosting that gets to me.
  • guppygirl322
    Options
    I'm glad there is someone else who likes the frosting. Seriously, I could leave the cake, lol!
  • MissKash
    MissKash Posts: 132
    Options
    milk duds and popcorn combo. I can control myself with popcorn, but if I know there's a box of milk duds nearby I can't stop myself to just one :(

oh my goodness!!! that is so me! my mouth is watering right now just thinking about it!