Kale

Options
szimba
szimba Posts: 298 Member
So I've heard a lot of good things about Kale so I went out and bought some, but now I don't know what to do with it! I've heard some people put in in shakes. Does anyone have any good recipes for it? Or how to add it to a protein shake without overpowering the flavor too much??

Thanks guys!!

Replies

• momma_roo
    momma_roo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I spray mine with a spritz of olive oil and and a dash of salt, then bake them at 350 for 10-15 minutes and they come out crispy like potato chips. Yum!
  • JayAlexander
    JayAlexander Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Kale chips! my mom makes them all the time, but I've never actually tried them. Here's the recipe:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/baked-kale-chips/Detail.aspx
  • toez79
    toez79 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I use it in green smoothies - about a cup of kale, 2 cups of baby spinach, a couple fruits, and some flaxseed. You could add protein powder too. The fruit really covers up the veggie taste. Sometimes I add ginger, mint, basil, or celery. You can really use anything you want. This week the store was out of kale, so I subbed collard greens and that works well too. I like experimenting with combos just depending on what's in my fridge.

The one time I tried to steam kale, it was terrible. LOL, much better in the smoothie for me. :)
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I grow kale in my garden, Bright Lights is the name of the cultivar. The stalks are crazy pink orange and yellow. I prefer this cultivar for two reasons: I can pick the leaves when they are small and more tender, and it is sweeter than regular kale. I either eat the leaves raw as part of a lettuce salad, or saute like spinach in olive oil, or chop up and add near the end of cooking the cabbage diet soup. I know others add it to shakes, but I really don't think I could force it down. Good luck.
  • szimba
    szimba Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I use it in green smoothies - about a cup of kale, 2 cups of baby spinach, a couple fruits, and some flaxseed. You could add protein powder too. The fruit really covers up the veggie taste. Sometimes I add ginger, mint, basil, or celery. You can really use anything you want. This week the store was out of kale, so I subbed collard greens and that works well too. I like experimenting with combos just depending on what's in my fridge.

The one time I tried to steam kale, it was terrible. LOL, much better in the smoothie for me. :)

I'll be trying that tomorrow in my protein shake! I hope it turns out good. I read somewhere to freeze the kale before using it in a shake.. do you put yours fresh or frozen?
  • TashaP2011
    TashaP2011 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I love kale in soup!
  • toez79
    toez79 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I just use it fresh, I've never heard of freezing it. Could be good though! Sometimes I do add ice or frozen blueberries to make the smoothie a little cooler. A little water usually helps it all blend up too. I hope you like it!