Zoloft

Options
Does anyone on here have any experience with Zoloft and not being able to lose weight? I am so frustrated...I don't want to use that as a crutch (and I don't think I am anymore) but I can't seem to lose weight like I have before with working out hard and eating well.....Grrr! As soon as I wean my baby (very soon-w/in days prob'ly) I can get a script for a less-side effect-y medicine.

I know I have a friend who GAINED 50 lbs on Zoloft....so maybe???? Help please!

Replies

• JennaLee1486
    JennaLee1486 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I never gained weight on Zoloft but I did have killer headaches. I am on lexapro now. I found that my body didn't respond right away and I had to just keep going and going. Eventually the weight came off and kept coming off. Don't get discouraged. Even if the number on the scale isn't the one you want, you are eating healthier and toning your body. Your heart and lungs are healthier, and it's better for you AND your babies. Focus on the big picture and don't get discouraged.
  • shmoejo
    shmoejo Posts: 37
    Options
    idk i have been on zoloft for some time and i didnt gain from it nor am i have a problem losing the weight so far either. i guess things work for everyone diff..
  • monkeydoodle
    monkeydoodle Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I never gained weight on Zoloft but I did have killer headaches. I am on lexapro now. I found that my body didn't respond right away and I had to just keep going and going. Eventually the weight came off and kept coming off. Don't get discouraged. Even if the number on the scale isn't the one you want, you are eating healthier and toning your body. Your heart and lungs are healthier, and it's better for you AND your babies. Focus on the big picture and don't get discouraged.
    I have tried other meds in the past for depression and by far, Lexapro has given me the best results. No side effects noticed except dry mouth when I first started taking it.
  • antijen
    antijen Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I had this same experience. The weight came on almost immediately. I decided to just muscle through on my own until I wean my little guy.

I was told by my doctor that wellbutrin is okay for nursing too, but when I was on it my milk supply decreased and frustrated the baby (and his growth slowed). I had to stop taking it obviously. However, you might consider talking with your doctor about giving it a try because it has the opposite effect of zoloft and not everyone experiences the decreased supply. Whenever I've been on it I've lost significant weight.
  • carebear7951
    carebear7951 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm. I guess the truth will come out when I switch, huh? LOL (I'll be on Prozac then)
    It seems to me also that when I started Zoloft last time (it's for PPD) I gained weight back that I'd lost.
    Quick rundown:
    Pregnancy #3-starting weight 164, ending weight...well over 200 (220ish?)...11 mos post partum 152!? No working out, etc. Just bf'ing

By the time the baby was 2'ish I was up to 184 though!? Holy moly! I thought that it was due to weaning her and not cutting enough calories (since I wasn't burning that 500 a day nursing). Then...I got pregnant (surprise baby!) and weighed like 226 that time... Down to 184 and each lb is a struggle to lose and if I let go for 1 minute (eat something "bad") I gain it right back.

@Jenna-thanks! You are right. Even if I don't lose the weight right off...I'm changing my choices and that counts, right? Just wish my jeans would fit. LOL ;)
  • chelseelovesyou
    chelseelovesyou Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I gained weight on Prozac. I went off of it and went on Seroquel XR and Wellbutrin (which is actually supposed to cause weight loss) . Good news though, when I started working out so much, I was able to go way down in how much medication I was taking (I take a very small dosage of Wellbutrin). But, Wellbutrin or Buproprion is a different class of antidepressants (it is an MAOI not an SSRI), so it might not be useful for you. But like, JennaLee1486 said, you are getting healthier and that is more important than the number on the scale. I would have a conversation with your doctor to see if you can change if you are uncomfortable with your current medication for something more favorable. For now, just keep eating right and exercising and you will see change soon enough! Good luck!

(edit: the weight I gained from Prozac may not have been from it, it may have been because I was still not doing any better as far as my depression went)
  • Mybetterme
    Mybetterme Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I would say get ur thyroid checked cause my so called depression was my thyroid.
  • carebear7951
    Options
    @antijen-well, supply is no longer an issue. He is 18 mos old. Honestly I would nurse him a little longer (except he bites-ouch) if it weren't for the meds thing....but 18 mos is plenty (IMO) anyways....I have a bad reaction to wellbutrin (I took it once and had trouble breathing-shortness of breath-I didn't related it to the med and kept taking it for a while...oops! Loved the weight loss effect though! ;) But breathing is more important. I guess. ha ha!)

@monkey-prozac is pretty low on s/e for me...and it's way cheaper. I don't have health insurance. ;) I actually don't notice anything diff (other than $exual s/e which is almost all antidepressants-except maybe lexapro--but I also have 4 kids...could be that. LOL) when on prozac other than that I feel normal.
  • mamijujuphat
    mamijujuphat Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I agree Zoloft's side effects are different for everyone....I was lucky it didn't affect me as far as weight gain but I knew somebody that gained weight while on it......So like you've already said .....talk to your doctor about an alternate for Zoloft...if you feel that the weight gain side effect is far too great
  • carebear7951
    Options
    @meestep-yes, that has been in question also. My dr was going to check it...but then I got pregnant. LOL Also, the no insurance affects what tests I agree to. :/

@Chelsee-yeah, every drug is so different for everyone. I think the reason I stuck with the wellbutrin for the several weeks I did (about 8 years ago) was b/c I started losing weight...why would I want to quit that one? Honestly? I've thought about trying it again:embarassed: to see if I could tolerate it and lose weight.

Ok, thanks for all the replies. At least I know that it's a possibility and that every med affects everyone differently! :) Maybe I'm not (too) crazy! Goodnight!