What are your ups and downs?

Options
Since I started here on MFP (1 year and 5 months ago) I have gone through some ups and downs. Here is my story.

When I found this website in January of 2010 I weighed in at 243 pounds.
I worked out ran, did the Insanity program and ate the right kinds of food. By May 16, 2010 I had dropped down to 231 pounds, the lowest I had been in years, since 1998 to be exact. While doing Insanity the very next day (May 17, 2010), I injured myself. One month later and no workouts or eating right, I had shot up to 242 pounds! 11 pounds in 1 month, now thats INSANE! I obviously stopped eating right and I had to stop working out cause of my injury. I hurt my back and it even hurt to breathe. I let myself heal and slowly started to get back into running. I tried Insanity again but I didn't want to risk getting injured again. I got my run on and started to slowly shed pounds and get back into the routine then BAM! I got hit with Iliotibial band syndrome (ITBS). I couldn't run anymore cause the pain in my knee was killer. I stopped running and started to eat like crap again. By the middle of July I had gone up to 247 pounds. My IT band started to heal and I was running again. I had dropped back down to 242 pounds by August. I think I pushed myself to hard so I re-injured the IT band again and shot back up 247 pounds. I let it heal again for a few weeks and started Insanity again In October of 2010. I was on a roll and with Insanity and I dropped down to 240 pounds by November. I decided to go for a run one night and while running the IT band started to bother me again. I stopped running stopped Insanity. Then, the holidays showed up! I tried to eat right but temptation was EVERYWHERE! I gave up on exercise and eating right from the second week of November 2010 to the first week of January 2011. During that time I shot all the way up to...........262 pounds! When I weighed, in I was like WTF! I knew I was going to gain weight but not that much. So January came around I wasn't hurt I was ready to start up again. I started running again and eating the right kinds of food. I began to shed pounds once again. I got down to 247 pounds by the end of March. I was on a roll again! Yahoo! Then while on a afternoon run. This dog jumps out from nowhere barks chases and scares the crap out of me. While I sprinted to get away I stepped wrong turning into a driveway and POP went my calf. Oh no, sidelined yet again. By the middle of April I had gained weight again. I got up to 255 pounds. This time around I kind of watched what I ate but I didn't exercise at all. I maintained that weight till I started to workout again which was the beginning of this month. I'm back at it but I am taking it slow. As you can see I've dropped some weight since I started up again. I know I have had my screw ups during this process but I realized them. Most importantly though, I haven't given up.

Have you had any ups and downs? What is your story? I'm sure i'm not the only one on MFP that has gone through something like this.

Replies

• mamijujuphat
    mamijujuphat Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I had my ups & downs before I joined MFP....I first gained major weight when I had my kid....I had gained 50lbs after the pregnancy.....I decided to join the gym & lost 15lbs....but I wasn't consistent ...gained it back...when my daughter started preschool ...I started the gym + walking & then running ...I had lost 25lbs then....so once again I dropped the ball & stopped....& had pretty much conformed with being overweight.....until 2 years ago my sister got married & I looked at the pictures & realized just how bad I let myself go....& had no one to blame but me....so I began cuttin' out the bad stuff & walking again....& had even purchased an Elliptical machine ....I lost about 18 lbs on my own. A friend of mine introduced me to this website & it has helped me to keep a better track of myself....& now I'm 20lbs down & got 25lbs to go....whoot!
  • gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    My ups and downs are totally different than yours, but still ups and downs none the less! Seven years ago i was actually very sick with anorexia/bulimia and very underweight. I almost flunked out of school, which is an awful thing. I worked hard, and got better, (and graduated, yay!) then i got a scholarship to go to grad school in another state.....i was so depressed and alone i started binge eating to deal with the stress. I put on about 15lbs (which is alot on such a small frame) Then i met some nice people, joined a running group, started eating healthy and leveled out again. Then BAM - my dad dies. binge drinking and eating ensues, weight goes up. BAM - cheating boyfriend - all eating stops, weight gets very, very low again. Last May, i graduated and rejoined the real world, and the past year has been about trying to maintain a healthy, happy weight. MFP has reallllllly helped. Now i am maintaining and training to run a half marathon, and i feel better than i have in a really long time.

Bumps in the road are just bumps. unless they're sink holes. Which even then, they can pull an SUV out with a big enough tow truck. and this metaphor is officially becoming more of a ramble.

My mom always told me that success is about 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration. The people who get the farthest are the ones who fall and pick themselves up over and over and over...they are just stronger, and basically more awesome. :D
  • Mando55
    Mando55 Posts: 140
    Options
    The people who get the farthest are the ones who fall and pick themselves up over and over and over...they are just stronger, and basically more awesome. :D

I agree!

Guess nobody else out there has had any ups and downs.