The benefits oHIIT(high intensity interval training) for wei

Options
registers
registers Posts: 782 Member
These methods are for a for people who have been using a consistent cardio routine for more than 6 months.. The way described below isn't for for people who are just beginning a exercise routine. There are other forms of inteval training for beginners that can be beneficial. Below is not it.

Imagine if you will, sprinting for 15mins non stop. How many calories it would burn. People can't sprint for 15mins due to the type of energy that is used, sprinting using mostly ATP energy from Muscle 2B fibers. There are 3 muscle types, type 1, type 2A, and 2B. These muscle fiber types use different energy systems. Type 1 muscle fibers use mostly fat, they are activated during long slow cardio sessions. Fat is the most abundant source of fuel in the body, that's why most people can walk for a long time. This is why the "fat burning zone" is the slower speed settings on cardio machines. As you increase the intensity, your muscles produce more lactic acid, when you get to the point you're having difficult talking, you're at the point of your lactate acid threshold. This is about the point the 2A muscle fibers are activated. Lactic acid is a byproduct, of when your body can no longer oxidize the energy being used. This is what causes the pain we experience of high intensity exercises.

Continue beyond that point and you get in to your ATP stores which is the energy that is used by your 2B fibers. Some might say where is the VO2MAX in this? Your lactic acid threshold is a percentage of your VO2MAX. The higher your VO2MAX the higher your LT(lactic threshold) becomes. The higher your lactic threshold the faster you can run thus burning more calories.

Putting together the pieces....
Interval training is pretty much exercising to where you're triggering 2A muscle fibers. You're training your body to oxidize lactic acid so you can run at a higher intensity, which results of a higher caloric expenditure. There different ratios at which to do threshold training. Depends on your goal. To burn fat, a 2:1 ratio is pretty good, 1:1 is better. !:1 is very intense. 1:1 isn't recommended to even attempt unless you have a solid 1yr of cardio vascular training under your belt. The ratios are pretty much your running to rest ratio... A 2:1 means you rest for 2 minutes, then you run for one. You repeat this process for 20-60 minutes. If you do longer stress periods for example a 2:5 ratio, 2 minutes of recovery and 5mins of running. This is more for people who are running longer distances, the longer the distance the longer your stress period needs to be. This doesn't mean you run at the same pace as a 2:1 ratio. You won't be able to do it, you have to slow down your intensity to be able to do the 2:5 ratio.

VO2max is the amount of oxygen you can use at your maximum intensity. Improving your VO2max will also improve your lactic acid threshold, like i said your LT(lactic threshold) is a percentage of your VO2max. If someone who has a VO2max of 40ml per minute who's lactic threshold is at 40% improved their VO2max to 50ml that would be 40% of 50ml. WHich is a higher LT compared to before.

You can train increase your VO2max, easily... It just consist of a simple cardio session below your LT for 20-120mins. Before I forget VO2max is calculated based on weight, so the less you weigh the higher your VO2max will be.

You do LT training in a few ways. You can run/jog/walk at your lactic threshold. How do you know when you're there?? when you start to have difficulty talking. People are familiar with the talk test. There are 3 exercises I am familiar with that trains the LT. Interval training which has been discussed. Threshold runs are another method, they just consist of running at your lactic acid threshold for 20-40mins. There is also something called peak threshold runs, they are brutal. You run at your lactic threshold with with interval training. For example, I start running and at 10mins I sprint for 30-60 seconds. then i go back to down to my Lactic threshold pace.

These methods besides VO2max training are intense forms of exercise, threshold runs and interval training should be done 2-3times a week. Peak threshold runs are so intense they should be done once a week or once every other week.

What do you do when you're not doing threshold training? you can take it easy and train your VO2max.

Most people are probably using a treadmill, so keep in mind, threshold training has nothing to do with your speed, it has to do with your breathing. Near the end of your workout you'd be running slower than when you started. I like to use a PET (perceived exertion test) I imagine 0 being at rest, such as in bed, 10 being the most intense running I can possibly do. LT training is about level 7.

This type of training can be dangerous. It can lead to over training and have adverse biological and psychological side effects.
This can lead to depression, being tired all the time, and just feeling like crap in general. If your muscles aren't fully recovered they will be in a weakened state which would make it easier to step wrong and injure yourself. Like I said, this is for advanced trainees only.

Listen to your body, if you're tired, there is a difference from being tired and lazy. If you don't want to do LT training just don't. no big deal, do what's right for you.

Replies

• Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    *BUMP* thanks,
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    :heart:

bump for later

thx for posting
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    There is a typo in the subject the O isn't supposed to be there. it's supposed to be "of"
  • McBody
    McBody Posts: 1,703 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post.
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Interesting... thanks.. I'll have to read over later when I have more time.