Healthy Tailgate Ideas

Options
Hi folks... well, here in Buckeye country, this weekend is a big deal... hopefully we will shed our bad luck of late with respect to big games and beat USC on Saturday... GO BUCKS! :drinker:

But a bigger problem for me is what the heck to bring to our work tailgate tomorrow (we have one every week and this time of the year is very problematic for me and trying to get this weight off!)... :grumble:

I want to bring something besides a fruit salad, but that can be a fallback for me when there are numerous tempting options... not a dessert, but a 'real' dish... in the past I've brought pizza rolls, taco dip, etc. etc... :sick:

anyone have any healthy options that they could suggest??

Thanks everyone! (oh, and notice my ticker moved again... down another pound this AM!) :drinker:

Replies

• petunia
    petunia Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Hi folks... well, here in Buckeye country, this weekend is a big deal... hopefully we will shed our bad luck of late with respect to big games and beat USC on Saturday... GO BUCKS! :drinker:

But a bigger problem for me is what the heck to bring to our work tailgate tomorrow (we have one every week and this time of the year is very problematic for me and trying to get this weight off!)... :grumble:

I want to bring something besides a fruit salad, but that can be a fallback for me when there are numerous tempting options... not a dessert, but a 'real' dish... in the past I've brought pizza rolls, taco dip, etc. etc... :sick:

anyone have any healthy options that they could suggest??

Thanks everyone! (oh, and notice my ticker moved again... down another pound this AM!) :drinker:
  • ehorner1976
    Options
    I have made a black bean dip, it is low in calories with lots of protein. I don't remember the exact calorie content, but the recipe is simple. Tale a can of black beans and drain and rinse add a tsp of cumin and a cup of salsa and puree. I usually being pumpernickle bread, the small party slices and the can eat the dip on those. It is very good in my opinion. You can also make a taco dip using fat free cream cheese mixed with low sodium taco seasoning, 2% cheese and what very veggies you prefer. I personally like the whole grain tostito chips, I actually thing they are much better that the regular ones. I hope this helps. Have Fun!!! :drinker:
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Congrats on losing another pound! I'm thinking that if you've made something in the past, you can now make something that's pretty healthy, like, chicken snack wrap tortillas (on whole wheat), turkey breast and broccoli wraps, or even turkey sandwiches on wheat bread if you're pinched for time/ creativity. There are a lot of recipes for healthy snacks/ appetizers online or in books, that give you calorie counts. I make these wraps with grilled chicken and peppers and jalapenos (if you like it hot) that only have 250 calories, or around 300 if you add a slice of cheese in there. You could eat one of those and have some veggies and low fat ranch dressing to snack on, or salad, fruit, etc. If it's a day-long streched-out meal sort of thing, you could even add something else to make it around 700 to 800 calories and you'd be fine as long as you limited what you ate the rest of the day to the rest of your calorie intakes. Don't forget to work out a little extra if you are going to "splurge" a little bit on a snack. That's what I would do... just enjoy it in moderation... my problem would be the alcohol calories ha ha. Good luck to your Buckeyes and have fun!
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Here's a black bean dip that I make. 1 can black beans, 1 can white corn, 1 cup salsa & tsp of sugar serve with corn chips Very yummy

Maybe make some wraps with low carb tortillas
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Shrimp with cocktail sauce(I add some hot sauce). Extremely light but you really need to be careful to keep it on ice. Yummy!