Stuck and in need of advice from fellow INSANITY users :)

AlissaGoergen
AlissaGoergen Posts: 5
edited September 27 in Health and Weight Loss
I am on my second week of INSANITY and it has been kicking my butt! I really only need to lose 15-20 pounds to be at a healthy weight, but I'mnoticing that NOTHING is coming off. I have been consistently below my calorie goal according to MFP, and my work outs have been tough and fairly consistent. If I haven't been able to stick to my work out regimen (because the in-laws were visiting or we were camping out of town, etc.) I've stuck to being below my daily calories,a nd usually at least got out for a 30 minute (or more) walk. My husband says it should take a few weeks to really see results, and I'm afraid he's right (ugh, hate when that happens). I just wanted to check with others who have used the program, or even know someone who has, to see if perhaps I am doing something wrong. I'm not trying to diet or do anything crazy, I am just trying to make a healthy lifestyle the norm for me but I ambecoming frustrated by the scale. I have tried waiting at least a week before weighing in, and I make sure that I weigh myself in the morning after using the restroom and before drinking any water. I have yet to take my measurements because I just don't want to further bum myself out. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions? Or, is this normal and I will see some results in another week or so? I know people who have dropped 30 pounds on this program and I just don't see how I'mgoing to do that with the amount of time on the 2 month plan I have left. I don't eat poorly, and when I do eat things that aren't as good for me as others I eat much less of it! What gives?!

Replies

• tylerochs
    tylerochs Posts: 1
    I just finished INSANITY last Sunday. I hit several ruts along the way with the scale. The first two weeks I lost 5 lbs, mostly water weight, and then for the next 3 weeks I stayed the same weight. Over the final three weeks I ended seeing 8 lbs come off the scale. My problem was I wasn't eating enough. Try and keep your calories right at your goal number and make sure you get the protein, I had way more than myfitness suggests. Lean muscle burns fat so you might be building a little muscle right now and that's why you're not seeing the scale change. Keep up the hard work and you should see results.
  • kim_mc
    kim_mc Posts: 321 Member
    I did the program start to finish and didn't lose a single pound. I took measurements at the end and just lost fractions of inches all over. I did however really tone up! that's probably not what you wanted to hear but that's my story. My husband lost about 5 pounds and MANY inches so there are people that lose with this program. Most of the results come in your second month though.
  • Ashalahn_LMT
    Ashalahn_LMT Posts: 342 Member
    Give it time. I didn't do Insanity but I did P90X and didn't notice any real results (especially in the pictures) until I was into the 2nd phase. That's almost 4-5 weeks into the program. I do have several friends who have done Insanity and said it takes time for your body to adapt and really start churning through the weight loss. I would take measurements and pictures (if you haven't already). They are better indicators of your progress. Also, make sure you are eating enough calories to compensate for the workouts. In short, don't give up.
  • promiseskept
    promiseskept Posts: 119
    It will work itself out, I am on one of those bouts myself, fluctuating 3 pounds, and I have consistently lost 2 to 3 pounds a week except for these last two weeks.
    I have heard that water is the key, I am not good at pushing my water intake. Like you I stay well within the calories and I exercise daily, hang in there though, because going back up is not the option!
    We will prevail!
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    You really expected to see pounds melting off you in the first two weeks? Get real.

Sorry to be harsh, but you need to get your expectations in check. If you only have 15 pounds to lose, it will be a much slower process than someone with 60 pounds to lose.
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    I am only in the first month of Insanity...but everyone that I've talked that has done it says that they really didn't see the scale move until the second month.....give it time...I haven't lost that much weight, but my clothes are feeling a little different on me.....you can do it....don't give up now, it'll happen.....
  • ssstefanieee
    ssstefanieee Posts: 80 Member
    I am in the same boat. I'm on week 3 and have not missed a workout plus have been attempting the diet plan (but definitly not 100%)... scale hasn't moved but I have lost 1 inch so far. From what I've heard many people did not see there results until phase two, and even not until the final weeks of the program...I vote we stick it out and see what happens :)
  • Thanks everyone! This was exactly what I needed to know. I didn't expect to just magically lose weight overnight by doing INSANITY, I just thought I would feel different is all. I suppose I'll see when I do my fit test if it is changing me like I think it might be, regardless of the fact that I don't see it....yet. I am going to stick with it and am glad to hear that it's as worth it as I thought it was. And, hey, if I can end up losing more than my 15-20 I'll be a happy camper....I wouldn't mind being more than just at a "healthy" weight (i.e. being toned, revving my metabolism, etc).

On another note, and I know this is early to be figuring out, but what do you all do when you're done with INSANITY to maintain your weight and healthy lifestyle? Do you start over on day 1, or are you supposed to move on once the "transformation" has taken place? Just curious. Thanks for all the help...MFP is amazing!
  • Skolls081102
    Skolls081102 Posts: 184
    You really expected to see pounds melting off you in the first two weeks? Get real.

Sorry to be harsh, but you need to get your expectations in check. If you only have 15 pounds to lose, it will be a much slower process than someone with 60 pounds to lose.

Seriously????? We're here to help each other, so you can keep the sarcasm!!!! There's no need to be obnoxious about the information and help you provide....

I am 3 days away from completing Insanity. I have lost over 20 pounds, but I have alot to lose. In allhonesty, if you only have 15-20 pounds left to lose, you may only see a 5-10 pound loss after doing Insanity. It's really hard to say. Make sure you take measurements, because while although you may not lose alot of weight, you WILL tone and lose inches.

Secondly, If you feel comfortable, you should make your diary public. You're saying that you are always calorie short, but to what extent? I am not a Dr, nor a nutritionist, I can only tell you what I have seen work for me and others. You should be eating as close to all of your calories a day. And that INCLUDES your exercise calories. For example, I am given 1730 calories/day...when I do Max Cardio Circuit, I burn 800 calories. So for the day I need to eat 2530 calories. You may be shorting yourself too much, and in return, your body isn't going to burn as quickly as it could if you were properly fueling it. If you have any questions, please feel free to message me.

Hope this helps.

And don;t listen to the advice of people who feel the need to put you down in their posts. We're all here for a reason, and that's to get healthy!!!!
  • Thanks Mike! I am not usually more than 100-200 calories short, and that's only on exercise days. I really really appreciate your kind words and realistic advice. I would definitely be happy with 5-10 lbs loss after Insanity! As long as it sets me in the right direction for a healthier lifestyle then I'll be pleased. I'll look into making my food diary public...not sure I know how to do it, but I'll certainly try. I'd be a little embarrassed to show that I'm still not doing GREAT with my food, I'm just eating less of the bad stuff IF I eat it at all. Ah well, I suppose I could use the reality check! Thanks again!
  • Ashalahn_LMT
    Ashalahn_LMT Posts: 342 Member
    Thanks everyone! This was exactly what I needed to know. I didn't expect to just magically lose weight overnight by doing INSANITY, I just thought I would feel different is all. I suppose I'll see when I do my fit test if it is changing me like I think it might be, regardless of the fact that I don't see it....yet. I am going to stick with it and am glad to hear that it's as worth it as I thought it was. And, hey, if I can end up losing more than my 15-20 I'll be a happy camper....I wouldn't mind being more than just at a "healthy" weight (i.e. being toned, revving my metabolism, etc).

On another note, and I know this is early to be figuring out, but what do you all do when you're done with INSANITY to maintain your weight and healthy lifestyle? Do you start over on day 1, or are you supposed to move on once the "transformation" has taken place? Just curious. Thanks for all the help...MFP is amazing!

It depends on how you feel as to what you do after Insanity. Some people take a few weeks off. Others start all over again (that's what I plan to do with P90X). Still others take their favorite DVD's from Insanity and incorporate that into their own workouts. There is of course the newest version. Insanity: The Asylum. :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    It's hard to say exactly what is wrong but many times, it will take 30 days or more (especially for woman) to see the results. I have done p90x and chalean extreme. I have stated away from insanity because I have bad knee's. If you can answer some of the following questions, it will be easier to say whats wrong. First, if you don't mind me asking, what is your weight/height/age? If you can tell me this (even if it's over a private message) then we can calculate your BMR. This will allow us to know what calories you burn while sleeping. Then we can take the amount of calories you burn and back off 300-500 calories and that is what you should be eating. Also, if you don't mind making your food diary public, then we can analyze it more. Second, what is your goal? Are you in that last 10 lbs category or do you have a bit of weight to lose. This is big because the closer you are to your goal, the more emphasis there is on eating.

Keep this in mind, my first round of p90x, I lost 3% body fat and 16 lbs. The second round, I didn't lose anything. I found out that my diet was off. My diet had way too many carbs and not enough calories or healthy fats. So i regathered myself, got smart and started coming on here. I then did chalean extreme and just finished. I was 10 lbs away from my ideal weight when I started. At the end, I lost another 3% body fat, 6 more inches but only 5 lbs.

The main reason I am telling you this, when you get closer to your goal, it really should be able body composition. Weight is not a good indiciator of health. Body fat is more important than weight because lets face it, if you were 200 lbs but you had a six pack would you really care?
This discussion has been closed.