Healthy camp food

Options
I am looking for ideas on what healthy type food I can take when my family goes camping and kayaking. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! We will be cooking over a campfire and I also have a camp stove. My kids will be with us as well...so I need something they will actually eat.

Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I would go with beans and brown rice. Both travel well, are healthy and easy to cook over a campfire. Canned and root veggies are also good if you are not backpacking in. Cans can get pretty heavy in a backpack. Most root veggies can be wrapped in foil and roasted. Nuts, granola and dried fruits are good snacks that travel well.
  • melissa0001
    melissa0001 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    foil dinners!

cubed chicken
    peppers (lots of colors)
    onions
    mushrooms
    canned potatoes
    pineapple

double wrap in foil, place on hot coals in fire pit, turn and let cook for about 20-30 minutes..... l

zip loc bag egg mc muffins

boil pot of water. In a zip loc place ham and raw egg, seal zip loc and boil in pot, place a slice of cheese on a english muffin and put egg and ham on muffin to melt cheese
  • BarnDogBob
    BarnDogBob Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    One of the great things about going camping is the level of physical activity and the fresh air giving your metabolism a kick.

If you are going car camping "camping close to your vehicle" then load it up and enjoy great meals like you would on any vacation. Don't limit yourself to just cooking on the campfire. If you have or can get a portable grill, you will not regret it. the portable grills are reasonable and run on the propane canisters which are easy to pack.

Also, if you are adventurous, try a Dutch Oven. Anything can be made in a dutch oven from pizza, to stew to desserts. And you control the ingredients so you control the calories, fat, etc.

Also look at making some lunches in foil. You take your ingredients and put them together wrapped tightly in tin foil and throw them on the coals. About 15 minutes later, you have a complete meal.

Camping meals can be fresh and gourmet with little effort. And the best part is you will be burning calories like crazy just doing all of the great things you can do outdoors.

Kids love hot dogs over the fire, smore's, and look into getting a campfire popcorn maker. Great fun over the fire and low cal.
  • aferbet
    aferbet Posts: 124
    Options
    One of the great things about going camping is the level of physical activity and the fresh air giving your metabolism a kick.

If you are going car camping "camping close to your vehicle" then load it up and enjoy great meals like you would on any vacation. Don't limit yourself to just cooking on the campfire. If you have or can get a portable grill, you will not regret it. the portable grills are reasonable and run on the propane canisters which are easy to pack.

Also, if you are adventurous, try a Dutch Oven. Anything can be made in a dutch oven from pizza, to stew to desserts. And you control the ingredients so you control the calories, fat, etc.

Also look at making some lunches in foil. You take your ingredients and put them together wrapped tightly in tin foil and throw them on the coals. About 15 minutes later, you have a complete meal.

Camping meals can be fresh and gourmet with little effort. And the best part is you will be burning calories like crazy just doing all of the great things you can do outdoors.

Kids love hot dogs over the fire, smore's, and look into getting a campfire popcorn maker. Great fun over the fire and low cal.

I am really hoping when we pick up new camp gear to add to our collection we can get a dutch oven. They sound like they are amazing to have when camping!
  • aferbet
    Options
    foil dinners!

cubed chicken
    peppers (lots of colors)
    onions
    mushrooms
    canned potatoes
    pineapple

double wrap in foil, place on hot coals in fire pit, turn and let cook for about 20-30 minutes..... l

zip loc bag egg mc muffins

boil pot of water. In a zip loc place ham and raw egg, seal zip loc and boil in pot, place a slice of cheese on a english muffin and put egg and ham on muffin to melt cheese

The chicken thing sounds amazing! I may give that a try this time around. Thanks!
  • aferbet
    Options
    I would go with beans and brown rice. Both travel well, are healthy and easy to cook over a campfire. Canned and root veggies are also good if you are not backpacking in. Cans can get pretty heavy in a backpack. Most root veggies can be wrapped in foil and roasted. Nuts, granola and dried fruits are good snacks that travel well.

Trail mix...I love trail mix! Not sure why I didn't think of making some at home with granola, nuts, and fruit. Thanks!
  • britachu
    britachu Posts: 157
    Options
    If you have one of those little sandwich making things (I don't know what they're called, but they're cast iron usually and two metal plates that fold together), you can make all sorts of sandwiches over the fire.
  • aferbet
    Options
    If you have one of those little sandwich making things (I don't know what they're called, but they're cast iron usually and two metal plates that fold together), you can make all sorts of sandwiches over the fire.

I don't, but I do know what you are talking about. May have to look into getting one.
  • Mchllmry
    Mchllmry Posts: 5
    Options
    Grilled Salmon
    Grilled Chicken
    Wok Veggies
    Fresh Cut Fruit
    Apples and 1 tblsp Peanut Butter
    Egg White Breakfast Burritos with Grilled veggies Lowfat Cheese and salsa
    Sugar Free Applesauce
    Baby Carrots
    Celery
    Delli Turkey
    Orrowheat Sandwich Thins
    Captain Morgan and Diet Coke :)
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I jus made cookies with oatmeal, wheat germ and ground flaxseed in them. Not THE healthiest, but they'll work for hiking.
  • aferbet
    Options
    Grilled Salmon
    Grilled Chicken
    Wok Veggies
    Fresh Cut Fruit
    Apples and 1 tblsp Peanut Butter
    Egg White Breakfast Burritos with Grilled veggies Lowfat Cheese and salsa
    Sugar Free Applesauce
    Baby Carrots
    Celery