Skechers shape up shoes!

Options
2»

Replies

• dracobaby82
    dracobaby82 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    They soo work! Not good for running, or exercising. But after about a week my Husband told me I had to get rid of the shoes LOL because they were making it to where I had no butt! Which is a good thing for me... so I love them, they do work!
  • dracobaby82
    dracobaby82 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    They soo work! Not good for running, or exercising. But after about a week my Husband told me I had to get rid of the shoes LOL because they were making it to where I had no butt! Which is a good thing for me... so I love them, they do work!

The one thing I also noticed the first time wearing them... they are really comfortable, so I wore them every where! But when I changed shoes like to exercise the other shoes made my back hurt, so I had to stay with the shape ups which I love!, just couldn't wear to exercise... But now that I've had the shape ups for over a year I no longer get back pain at all from other shoes!

Good luck, you will love the shoes!
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    There are loads of studies out there that say that the claims the shoe manufacturers make about these shoes (and Reebok, etc), are complete bunk. They've found that the shoes have no effect on toning..

As a personal trainer, I get asked about these a lot. Here is my answer, if it gets you walking, then yes, they are good for you. As to the claims that they give you an extra workout when you walk, that is absolutely false.

If you don't believe me, read from an objective nationally recognized exercise organization, and the first that certified me as a trainer.

http://www.acefitness.org/certifiednewsarticle/720/will-toning-shoes-really-give-you-a-better-body/
  • jonbobfrog
    jonbobfrog Posts: 294
    Options
    *I* personally don't care what "national studies" have proven -- did you know that 45% of statistics are made up anyway? -- I feel like the shoes work for me. The make my calves burn a bit and when I walk I can really feel it in my butt. "National studies" aside, I am glad I bought them!

PS - like others have said, I wouldn't wear these for any exercise but walking. Even stairs are awkward in them!
  • c2sky
    Options
    This is from the article: (after showing several graphs with no change in muscle activity or oxygen uptake) and below is oen of the expert's response as to why so many blog about how "wonderful" these are. Now I am not saying, don't wear them. If they motivate you to work out, then by all means, WEAR THEM, AND GO GIRL! But once they wear out, don't feel like you have to buy another pair to get the same workout. It absolutely DOES NOT give you a more intense workout. Things like walking in sand, snow, uphill or with a backpack or weighted vest WILL do that. The only other way to get more intensity with walking on your feet? Simple: Run. You won't be able to run in these shows.

Again, I'm not meaning to burst a bubble, but I saw an opportunity to give proper independantly researched information amidst the anecdotes.

Please read this.

The Bottom Line

“Don’t buy these shoes because of the claims that you’re going to tone your butt more or burn more calories. That’s absolutely wrong,” says Porcari.

Then how do researchers account for the anecdotal evidence (found on blogs, etc.) from those who wear the shoes and claim their muscles get sore, which must mean the shoes are working?

“Do you feel different when you’re wearing these shoes? Of course you do because you’re walking on probably an inch worth of cushioning,” explains Porcari. “They feel different, and that’s why when people first wear them they’re probably going to be sore because you’re using different muscles. But if you wear any sort of abnormal shoes that you’re not used to wearing, your muscles are going to get sore. Is that going to translate into toning your butt, hamstrings and calves? Nope. Your body is just going to get used to it.”

Bryant isn’t surprised by the findings: “When you think about it, it’s kind of the same old song and dance,” he says. “People will still fall prey in their search for the quick-and-easy fitness solution. These shoes are just another attempt to find that magic bullet.”

Bryant says he’s also concerned that extended wear of these toning shoes may alter the walking gait mechanics of wearers and, in some cases, potentially cause problems for those who may already be at risk for lower-extremity issues. But to evaluate that will require another longer-term study. And although the toning shoes don’t deliver on their advertised claims, Porcari mentions there may be potential that these shoes could improve wearer’s balance over time, but that too will require a long-term training study.

In the meantime, Bryant is reaching for the silver lining.

“These shoes may be encouraging a fair number of people who probably wouldn’t put on a normal pair of walking shoes and go out and walk, to do so because they think they’re getting some super toning effect,” says Bryant. “So if you want to look at a positive, it’s probably serving as a bit of a motivator to get a group of inactive individuals to at least get up and get moving.”

And, no matter how you spin it, that’s a good thing.
  • c2sky
    Options
    *I* personally don't care what "national studies" have proven -- did you know that 45% of statistics are made up anyway? -- I feel like the shoes work for me. The make my calves burn a bit and when I walk I can really feel it in my butt. "National studies" aside, I am glad I bought them!

PS - like others have said, I wouldn't wear these for any exercise but walking. Even stairs are awkward in them!

Like I said, if you like them, wear them. But they don't make your workout more intense.
  • c2sky
    Options
    And like you said, if you walk on stairs, uphill or run, it's very difficult, possibly dangerous in your shoes. So the downside of this? If you are trying to increase your calorie burn per hour, or your level of intensity, or overcome a plateau, these shoes may not help you do that, if it keeps you from going up and down stairs, hills or running....All three of those things burn way more calories than walking.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options

Like I said, if you like them, wear them. But they don't make your workout more intense.
    ^ This. Whatever gets you moving, go for it.
  • Amanda0325
    Amanda0325 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I bought some Reebok shape up shoes. I bought them b/c they were the most comfortable that I have ever worn, not for the "shape up" feature. However, I have got multiple compliments lately that my hips are narrower. Maybe it is the shoes?????

I got the Reebok ones too ... I am a waitress at night and they are the most comfortable sneakers ever!
  • fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    Options
    why has no one mentioned the fact that they are FREAKIN HIDEOUS?????

reebok ones are hot, but the whole rocker shoe thing is so ugly id rather cut off my feet and throw them in the garbage than wear them

oh and i did have to test out the skechers, and they just gave me knee pain. FROM WALKING AROUND