is destilled water good to drink????

Options
hey everyone I had a question....is it okay?? and safe to drink destillrd water????? my friend heared of a 10 day cleaning diet she says for 3 days In a row drink distilled water and eat every 2hours she lost 9 pounds in a week is that safe???

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    the weight she lost was water weight, probably would have happened with regular water, she had built up water weight from sodium and she flushed it all out.
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    At least short term it's safe, but the extra minerals in spring water give water it's pleasant taste and removing them will do nothing for your health or weight loss goals. Good luck.
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    It's not going to hurt you if you drink a glass or two. But on a chemical level it will hurt you in the long run. Water (H20) in it's pure form is a dipolar molecule and wants to bind with some other molecules because of it. In short, it will start leaching minerals out of your own body, which is what you DO NOT WANT. So it's better to not drink distilled.
  • denise980
    denise980 Posts: 296
    Options
    Distilled water is fine to drink, it just lacks any nutrients that are put into regular water. Distilled water is run through a distiller and any sodium, flourine, magnesium, etc are removed from the water and you are drinking pure water.

Honestly, it is better to drink water with the nutrients in it because the flourine helps with your teeth and the magnesium with good health. Sodium is really the only one that you could really do without...
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    It's not going to hurt you if you drink a glass or two. But on a chemical level it will hurt you in the long run. Water (H20) in it's pure form is a dipolar molecule and wants to bind with some other molecules because of it. In short, it will start leaching minerals out of your own body, which is what you DO NOT WANT. So it's better to not drink distilled.

This.
  • absolament
    absolament Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Distilled water doesn't have minerals in it. But her "fad" diet is questionable. The safest way to lose weight is slowly by focusing on proper nutrition and adequate exercise. It helps to get 7-8 hours of sleep each night, too.
  • soifua
    soifua Posts: 82
    Options
    according to wikipedia it's safe to drink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distilled_water
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Oh, well because wikipedia said so...
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    "Clean water" need not be distilled. Water was never meant to be a source of nutrition.

Things in water (minerals, etc...) are not enough to meet any dietary goals and should not even be considered.

"Pure water" is something that you don't find in nature. But through differing levels of treatement and filtration you can achive a clean water for drinking.

Most folks get treated city water and should run it through carbon filters at the point of use.

Many folks use ultra- filtration (Reverse Osmosis) to clean water further in conjunction with sediment/carbon filters)

Distilled water is fine but is 'flat tasting' to our palettes.

Deionized water is one to stay away from. It will actually leach minerals from your body. This is the most aggresive type of standard waters.

So - Distilled water - drink away!! Get your minerals and nutrients from the foods you eat. Let water be water. :smile:

P.S. - I don't see the point of drinking Distilled water but *shrug* whatever...
  • soifua
    soifua Posts: 82
    Options
    obviously wikipedia isn't always a reliable source ... just saying - other sources online said it was safe to drink as well :P
  • esmestarz
    esmestarz Posts: 30
    Options
    thank you guys for giving me diferent opinions :) jajaja I WONT DRINK DISTELLD water first I thought it was like water for DOLPHINS JAJAJAJA BUT ITS CRAZY HOW I THINK SOO IM JUST GOING TO DRINK REGULAR WATER :D and be safe