Splitting Up My Workout

Options
Just a quick question....I need to split up my workout today...I am planning on running for about 30 min outside this morning (with my HRM) and then doing my weight training this afternoon. I just don't have time to do both at the one time today. Is this still beneficial even though I am splitting up my workout??

Replies

• Roo1026
    Roo1026 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yep! Just as good as if you did it all at once!
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but I have read in Runners World that exercising morning and afternoon (or evening) is better than back to back workouts - they say you will burn more calories.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    It'll probably be even better than all @ once. You'll hike up your metabolism twice instead of once :)
  • DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY!!! I do about an hour+ exercise every day -- but it is often in 3 or 4 parts. Generally, I do about 30 at a time, but some workouts just don't work that way.

Yes, all exercise is beneficial. Just make sure that every week you get one extra intensive workout to keep your body from falling into a rut and getting accustomed to your workout.
  • blowtotheskull
    Options
    Definitely still beneficial. There's some thought that doing cardio after weights will increase the the fat-burning potential of the cardio work out, but I'm not sure to what extent. But you'll still get benefits from both work outs, even if you're resting in between.
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    absolutely! i do the same thing. I do my circuit training in the morning and then my jogs in the evening. I cant do both together because after i finish my circuit training, my legs feel like jelly and the last i want to do is run! vice versa, if i do my run before my circuit training, i feel drained. so far, i feel great splitting up my workouts! good luck to you!
  • coolcatcan
    coolcatcan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yes! That's what I have done for the last 5 months. I found, for me, it worked better. I would do cardio in the morning and then weights/walking on treadmill in the evening. Also felt like it helped my dinner digest. I have reached my goal so I can tell you it works! 23 lbs lost! Good luck!
  • lizzycomp
    lizzycomp Posts: 64
    Options
    I've read (*in more sources than one) that it's actually a better work-out for you to do cardio first thing in the morning and weights in late afternoon/evening.

(*The Body Sculpting Bible for Women is one source...think the other may have been a fitness mag.)
  • SweetP88
    SweetP88 Posts: 79
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice....I am out the door for my run!! :wink:
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    That's the way I always do it, if possible. You can give it more intensity and focus that way too. Just make sure you adequately warm up both times. That's hard to do with time crunches.

And warming up is not synonomous with stretching. It is simply warming up with an easier version of the workout that you're going to do.