dark chocolate

Options
Hi

I m new to all this! i gave up chocolate when i started mfp two weeks ago and i have replaced it with small squares of lindt 70% cocoa when i get cravings. I think it is impossible to give up everything so i m not punishing myself for eating it but i m wondering is it just as bad for you, does it make a difference? I only have a small square so there is less calories but am I just fooling myself?! Thanks!!

Replies

• ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I have dark chocolate every day pretty much, I try to keep it at no more than 50 calories a day. I love chocolate, mostly milk chocolate but since my diet started I switched to dark. As long as you keep it to a minimum and dont go over your calories, you should be fine :D
  • ObviousIndigo
    ObviousIndigo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I love chocolate too! I find if I try to stay away from it then I binge on it. If I give myself a couple squares a day then I don't binge on it.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    i buy the belgian dark chocolate and eat a couple squares a week usually. i love it. my little chocolate fix.
  • Mommyof3texans
    Options
    I think you're fine doing that, I would try to work up to an even higher cacao % as well. Chocolove makes a great tasting one that's 77% I think.
  • history_grrrl
    history_grrrl Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I love knowing that people can eat a little chocolate regularly and are still losing so much weight. It gives me hope! (I adore chocolate.)
  • jenfunfur
    jenfunfur Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    i do the same, i love lindt dark chocolate the darker the better. I really think it keeps my cravings under control especially around TOM. As long ad you're within goal don't worry about it, i read somewhere that eating dark chocolate is good in moderation. Thats my excuse anyway, does anyone know the truth behind it?
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Nope I have dark chocolate I keep in the freezer. Dark chocolate has antioxidants so it's not as bad for you. Just make sure you are within your sugar and calorie limits.

Benefits of Dark Chocolate
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20030827/dark-chocolate-is-healthy-chocolate
    Dark Chocolate Is Healthy Chocolate
    Dark Chocolate Has Health Benefits Not Seen in Other Varieties
    By Daniel J. DeNoon
    WebMD Health News

Aug. 27, 2003 -- Got high blood pressure? Try a truffle. Worried about heart disease? Buy a bon-bon.

It's the best medical news in ages. Studies in two prestigious scientific journals say dark chocolate -- but not white chocolate or milk chocolate -- is good for you.

Dark Chocolate Lowers Blood Pressure

Dark chocolate -- not white chocolate -- lowers high blood pressure, say Dirk Taubert, MD, PhD, and colleagues at the University of Cologne, Germany. Their report appears in the Aug. 27 issue of The Journal of the American Medical Association.

But that's no license to go on a chocolate binge. Eating more dark chocolate can help lower blood pressure -- if you've reached a certain age and have mild high blood pressure, say the researchers. But you have to balance the extra calories by eating less of other things.

Antioxidants in Dark Chocolate

Dark chocolate -- but not milk chocolate or dark chocolate eaten with milk -- is a potent antioxidant, report Mauro Serafini, PhD, of Italy's National Institute for Food and Nutrition Research in Rome, and colleagues. Their report appears in the Aug. 28 issue of Nature. Antioxidants gobble up free radicals, destructive molecules that are implicated in heart disease and other ailments.

"Our findings indicate that milk may interfere with the absorption of antioxidants from chocolate ... and may therefore negate the potential health benefits that can be derived from eating moderate amounts of dark chocolate."

Translation: Say "Dark, please," when ordering at the chocolate counter. Don't even think of washing it down with milk. And if health is your excuse for eating chocolate, remember the word "moderate" as you nibble.
  • MissConfidence
    Options
    dark chocolate very high in cocoa percentage is actually really good for you, it's really high in antioxidants. just keep it in moderation, as someone said here 50 cals a day, that seems really reasonable.
  • xxbeckybexx
    Options
    I bought some 90% lindt chocolate the other day, was really horrible! But made a mousse with some sweetener and egg white and was fantastic. Really rich and could only manage a small portion...
  • Knightrobs
    Knightrobs Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate sweetened with xylitol (sp?). Tastes great, and the laxative effect really makes you not pig out on it. haha
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate sweetened with xylitol (sp?). Tastes great, and the laxative effect really makes you not pig out on it. haha

ha!
  • milaxx
    Options
    I bought some 90% lindt chocolate the other day, was really horrible! But made a mousse with some sweetener and egg white and was fantastic. Really rich and could only manage a small portion...

i bought that as well. Really bitter. I will probably stick to the 85% but Ive been using this on pancakes. I shave it over them and it makes it a nice treat. I may buckwheat pancakes so they are still in my calorie limit. I've also shaved it over almond butter for a nutty, chocolatey bite.
  • milaxx
    Options

i bought that as well. Really bitter. I will probably stick to the 85% but Ive been using this on pancakes. I shave it over them and it makes it a nice treat. I may buckwheat pancakes so they are still in my calorie limit. I've also shaved it over almond butter for a nutty, chocolatey bite.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I allow myself a couple of hundred calories in sweets most days. One of my favorites is the Lindt and Sprungli Intense Orange. Dark chocolate at its best, at least as far as I'm concerned.

I too made the mistake of going too high on the percentage. Keeping it in the 70%'s keeps the good flavor.
  • mocha76
    mocha76 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I love dark chocolate!! I eat either 72% ghiradelli or 73% organic dark chocolate from Trader's Joe's.
  • cathys01
    cathys01 Posts: 221
    Options
    Thanks for the info about the chocolate. It was very informative and now I know I can try and have at least a bit of Lindt dark chocolate every so often and it is not the end of the world :)
  • Imsojen
    Imsojen Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    As I figure this is a new lifestyle for me and a life w/o chocolate just isnt one I wanna have. So I allow myself a Lindt ball or square if I want. The last few days I have been having a mini fudge bar from skinny cow soooo yummy. Kills the choco craving and ice cream at the same time. 50 cals of happy yummyness and I almost always have leftover cals anyway
  • pinkgrape
    pinkgrape Posts: 5
    Options
    aw its good to see i m not the only one allowing chocolate in my diet.. when i think of diets i always think chocolate is a no-no.. i have not had any cravings for regular choc so thats good! just started jillian michaels six weeks and i ll need a treat every now and then to keep me going!!! thanks