Body Fat %

Options
Anyone know what sort of number I should be aiming for? What is considered high/low etc?

Replies

• leighton1245
    leighton1245 Posts: 125
    Options
    Anyone know what sort of number I should be aiming for? What is considered high/low etc?

Essential
    There is a certain amount of body fat that is vital for life. It is 10 to 12 percent for women, which can be dangerous to the organs and brain.

Athletes
    A healthy body fat percentage for women who are athletes is about 14 to 20 percent.

Fitness
    Some women who are regular fitness enthusiasts have a body fat percentage of 21 to 24 percent.

Average
    The average body fat percentage for women who do not do any type of sports or exercise is 25 to 31 percent.
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    You want to stay between 20-27% ideally. That is considered healthy. You can go lower than that if you're athletic. If there is a university near you, go ttry out their bod pod...it's usually not too expensive and tells you EXACTLY what your % is. MUCH more accurate than the pinch test.
  • HJSilva
    HJSilva Posts: 29
    Options
    Between 17% and 22% is what I consider ideal.
  • kerriknox
    kerriknox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    20 - 25% for an average female. Closer to 20% is better.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    A healthy body fat percentage is between 19-31% (depending on your age)
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Along those lines, I have seen different ways of calculating body fat % which of course yield drastically different results. Which of the ways is best?
  • leighton1245
    leighton1245 Posts: 125
    Options
    Along those lines, I have seen different ways of calculating body fat % which of course yield drastically different results. Which of the ways is best?

A skin fold caliper is the most accurate but must be used correctly.