Weird Swelling with Plyo-heavy Intervals

Options
amaczu
amaczu Posts: 23 Member
Hello everyone! I'm new here and I love this site!

I've only got 10-15 lbs to lose, but I definitely want to get back in shape. I used to be a black belt martial artist, and I had a job that kept me on my feet for the entire workday--now I've stopped doing my martial arts about 6 years ago, and changed jobs 2 years ago to a job that has me sitting on my butt alllll day. Needless to say that's how I gained the 10 lbs in the first place!

So I've been easing myself back into things, my schedule is crazy so I've been working towards HIIT sessions on my non-weight training days. I'm very self conscious about working out in public, so for the first couple of weeks I tolerated going out and alternating walking and jogging to start getting my body back in the rhythm of working out.

Two weeks ago I started the HIIT indoors by alternating sets of 10 burpees with 30 seconds of low-intensity jogging. I've gotten up to 7 cycles (with a warm-up and cool-down of course) and the benefits have been tangible so far! I never noticed that I couldn't breathe before, but now I can actually take a full breath!

That being said, lately I've noticed a LOT of swelling in my legs at the end of the last 2 cycles, so much so that my legs become stiff and it becomes difficult to 'walk it out' for my cooldown. I'm used to the fact that muscles swell with a lot of anaerobic exercise--in the day I'd be training to get up to 100 push-ups and my arms would be HUGE, but still flexible.

I just want to make sure that this isn't a sign of some sort of heart issue, or maybe an electrolyte imbalance. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Replies

• dancingnancies
    dancingnancies Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    i would go to the doc asap. you don't want to mess around with swelling like that. i am sure it is fine, but it is better to be safe then sorry. goodluck on your journey!!
  • rydn4h2o
    rydn4h2o Posts: 255
    Options
    i would go to the doc asap. you don't want to mess around with swelling like that. i am sure it is fine, but it is better to be safe then sorry. goodluck on your journey!!

I agree! Best to see the doctor as soon as possible to rule anything serious out!
  • Fergie2154
    Fergie2154 Posts: 59
    Options
    Go see your Doctor!

Also, take it easy with Plyo.. I also started a Plyo with dumbbells routine with a 15 HITT interval training 3 days per week (alternate days. It can be hard on the body because it is Tough workout!!. Rest and ICE the swollen areas and make sure you are resting your body between this hardcore workouts. Do a steady state low impact cardio on the days between your plyo. You might want also only want to do 2 days of plyo per week.

Go see your Doctor if you have unusual swelling!