is tap water as good!!

Options
sooo i work at a desk job and love drinking water except!!! once my little 500ml bottle is done all i have left here is tap water!!! is it any good to drink the tap?

Replies

• wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    That's all I drink is tap water. It depends on where you are tho, some places the tap water tastes funky. But there's nothing wrong with drinking tap. I refill all my water bottles from it.
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I drink tap too, I was directed to by my dr. because it is loaded with Iron and I have anemia. Otherwise, I don't see how it could be harmful in any way.
  • kimdoes
    kimdoes Posts: 90
    Options
    That's pretty much all I drink as well. Just look at it this way- It's better than drinking a soft drink. :)
  • TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Bottled water is wayyyyyy overrated.... most tap water is just as good and just as healthy, unless you live somewhere with a bad water supply. Bottled water is kind of a scam....
  • botography
    botography Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I drink tap water. Mine is well water. I will drink bottled water if it is handed to me. I do not drink soft drinks so if I am at a party and bottled water is available it is my only choice.
  • thefreemans28
    thefreemans28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    drink tap water filtered by a Brita at work. So if you have a fridge, you could get one of those. or, they make water bottles that have filters built into them (I've seen them at Kohl's and Elder Beermans), so that might help, too.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with it? Unless it's well water, just as good as tap. If you're too timid about it, you can always buy a Britta water filter or a Pur water filter.
  • litlover
    litlover Posts: 2
    Options
    tap water is fine. well water is what you want to be careful of. It could have chlorine or iron in it depending on where you live. that water usually smells like rotten eggs and it wouldn't be used for drinking fountains in the work place.
  • drasr
    drasr Posts: 181
    Options
    I would make sure there is a water filter attached.
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    You realized most bottled water IS tap water, right?

'course I am biased... hate the plasticky taste of bottled water.
  • vanessadcampanelli
    Options
    hahaha just askinggg well i drink tap all the time i do live in montreal canada we have good tap as i am aware of:D but just wondering if there is any major difference! guess not!
  • aamb
    aamb Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    lol i fill my bottles from the tap, but i am in scotland with the best water in the world!!!! lol
  • TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    You realized most bottled water IS tap water, right?

'course I am biased... hate the plasticky taste of bottled water.

Totally agree.... bottled water tastes weird.
  • LonelyPilgrim
    LonelyPilgrim Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Bottled water is a bad choice economically and environmentally unless you live somewhere that has awful tasting water. There are actually more stringent regulations on tap water than on "bottled water" and most "bottled water" is simply bottled from a city's water supply. So you are paying for excess packaging, bottling, shipping across the country etc, when you could just turn on your tap!

tap it is! (although, I'm sorry if you live in LA, because their water tastes awful!)

also, I'm biased because I live in Southern Oregon and the local rumor is that we have some of the best tap water in the country..
  • vanessadcampanelli
    Options
    interesting!! so i dont feel bad about drinking tap anymore (sounds strange but i always heard bad things about tap) that it has lots of chlorine and its not good!! but hey im drinking more tap then bottled and when i go home i drink filtered water
  • notoriousgtt
    notoriousgtt Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    lol i fill my bottles from the tap, but i am in scotland with the best water in the world!!!! lol

This is the truth!

From a fellow jock lol.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    This question is depending on what 'tap' you are standing in front of at the time.

Some tap (well or city) can be bad or fine.

Well water is not bad just because it's well water. Some shallow wells can have issues with surface contamination. But don't discount well water 'just because'.

If your water smells, has sediment, leaves green, or brown stains then you don't want to drink it (not because it will kill you, but because it's nasty)...

Older plumbing (galvainzed, copper) can have their metals leached into the water (discoloration) or the water may be coming from the sourse with dissolved matter that becomes suspended after it hits the air.

City water (older buildings, plumbing) can have some issues as well. Chlorine is a poison that they use to kill bacterias in water. If you won't drink pool water why drink any chlorinated waters. (Carbon filters (Brita, etc...)) will help with this.

Well water (get it tested for bacterias) If it comes back as safe, then if it has no cloudiness, smell, etc... that would make you turn your nose up at it then it should be fine (I treat all my drinking water).

Well water (private source is not chlorinated)....

Brita now makes a persona water bottle with a built in granular carbon filter that will remove some taste, odor, sediment from your water, the worse the source the sooner the filter will fail...
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I live where the water is hard and it tastes funky to me, but there is nothing wrong with it. It is healthy to drink and most tap waters probably are okay to drink.
  • vanessadcampanelli
    Options
    been drinkin tap all day today i dont find there is a diff in taste... or maybe i didnt take the time to savor it... who knows