HOW MUC SODIOUM SHOULD SOMEONE CONSUME DAILY ONA 1500 CAL DI

Options
I just noticed one of my jc meals has 420mg of sodium that seems kinda high to me... i need to look at my bfast as well as the dinners to add it up.. but for one meal isnt that too muhc? if u guys have any information on this please let me know.. i tried to find something online but was not succesful.

Replies

• amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    sodium is the same "recommendation" for everyone-2500 mg, so your meal is pretty low, really. you could have three meals and a snack with the same sodium and be alright. I don't worry about sodium too much, personally. I have low blood pressure, but my dr. recently put me on a diuretic to see if my hearing improves (to rule out Menier's related hearing loss) and he said "try to go low sodium" and I asked "what is low?" and he said 2500 mg would be great.
  • Akaratel
    Akaratel Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    you can add sodium to your diary and watch it. I am pretty sure the max is 2500 for everyone, but since it does retain water, a lot of people choose to stay away .. :)

oops meant 2500 lol, mistype
  • zooflute
    zooflute Posts: 50
    Options
    You can adjust your food report to show sodium intake levels vs. recommended maximums.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Set up your diary tabs to show sodium... I track mine daily. For any person, regardless of caloric intake, sodium should be limited to 1800 mg a day. The 2500 generic MFP setting is too high. For more information check out the American Heart Association. Reducing your sodium intake will also reduce your risk for heart disease, stroke, and heart attack. The easiest way to reduce sodium is to eat natural foods. The more a food is processed, the more it is filled with sodium...
  • auri77
    auri77 Posts: 39
    Options
    how do I add the settings to see my sodium? and thanks u all for the information I know that this will really help me get to my goal.
  • slp2112
    slp2112 Posts: 107
    Options
    As of this year, the FDA suggests that for any healthy individual, that person should not consumer more than 2,300 mg of sodium a day. For African American individuals and those who are hypertensive or have a history of high blood pressure or other cardiovascular problems, the suggested intake is 1,500 mg a day. In reading the FDA guidelines, I couldn't find what kind of diet these numbers were based on so they are either a) independent of how much you eat, or b) based on a 2,000 calorie diet (like all the nutrition labels). Of course, the lower your sodium intake, the better.

According to the low-sodium diet guidelines, anything that has 140 mg of sodium or less per serving is considered low sodium, anything with 10 mg or less is negligible, and anything > 140 is considered high sodium.

The trick is to moderate how much processed food you eat. I like to think of it as, the fewer steps there are between the food being on the tree/in the ground/etc and having the food in your mouth, the better. Particularly high sodium foods are pre-packaged meals and canned goods, so with those you want to be particularly careful.
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Everyone should follow a 1500 mg. limit per day if they have any type of health concern. 2300 otherwise.