Probably a stupid question

Options
I've been on MFP for a little while but this is my first post. My stupid question is how do you,if you do, calculate activities that you do during the crazy schedule of a day that you have for exercise. I teach school, have three children (ages 18, 15, and 4)and go to all their activities, and my husband and I are renovating a house that we plan to sell. I don't have that much time to exercise the traditional way. What, if anything, can I count as exercise. Like I said, probably a stupid question.

P.S. This is a great website. I already have lost 13 pounds:flowerforyou:

Replies

• ladybug3
    Options
    I've been on MFP for a little while but this is my first post. My stupid question is how do you,if you do, calculate activities that you do during the crazy schedule of a day that you have for exercise. I teach school, have three children (ages 18, 15, and 4)and go to all their activities, and my husband and I are renovating a house that we plan to sell. I don't have that much time to exercise the traditional way. What, if anything, can I count as exercise. Like I said, probably a stupid question.

P.S. This is a great website. I already have lost 13 pounds:flowerforyou:
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    I would just make sure you have your activity level set at the highest one, and that will take into account being active.
  • Juliebean
    Options
    I would recommend getting a heart rate monitor. That way you know what you're burning... I would think anything that isn't a normal, every day activity can be counted as exercise. The house renovations definitely can be. Check out some other calorie counters and see how much you've burned. And keep up the great work! :flowerforyou:
  • Ezzie
    Ezzie Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I would recommend getting a heart rate monitor. That way you know what you're burning... I would think anything that isn't a normal, every day activity can be counted as exercise. The house renovations definitely can be. Check out some other calorie counters and see how much you've burned. And keep up the great work! :flowerforyou:

Amen.....I :heart: my HRM....I just did a through vacuuming and scrubbed the kitchen floor, in a bit over an hour I clocked 568 calories ! I count the more energetic housework I do for two reasons:
    1. I don't do it at that level every day, so if I don't clean I do something else like walk
    2. There's the wonderful bonus of a cleaner home. It amazes me that the added incentive of exercise calories makes the housework sort of enjoyable!!!! ( I don't hate housework I just have so many other things I'd rather do:grumble: .)

House renovation stuff would definitely burn cals! Just for fun I clocked the calories I used removing nasty tarnish from a garage sale lamp....it was 287 for 35 minuted {giggle} Whoo Hoo!! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Ezzie

PS There ARE NO silly or stupid questions here...some are just easier or more fun to answer than others!
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Check caloriesperhour.com they have loads of different activities.
    Congrats on the 13 so far:drinker:

-Adrienne:heart:
  • ladybug3
    Options
    Where is the best place to buy a HRM???? Sounds like just what I need.
  • tamazinglee
    tamazinglee Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I bought my Polar HR monitor online a few years back. But I don't remember where. I wonder....do they need to be replaced every now and then? I understand that as I become "lighter" and more physically fit, I will burn less calories. But I am only burning 200 calories during a 30 minute job (speeds between 5.5 and 6.0 mph)
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Where is the best place to buy a HRM???? Sounds like just what I need.

I agree with Ezzie, there are no stupid questions. I bought my HRM from E-bay. You can get some good deals there. Congratulations on your weight loss and good luck to you. :flowerforyou: