Help!

Options
Last year while my fiance was in Iraq, I managed to lose 40pds and get to my goal weight of 140. Once there, I decided that I actually would look better if I lost about 10 more. I stayed at the 140 however, sick of dieting and telling myself I'd lose that last ten I tacked on when I got the willpower back. But now the willpower is gone! It's been a year, and in additon to those 10pds I wanted to lose I've now gained about 8 more! Now I'm almost 20pds more than I want to be but I can't seem to get my motivation back! Every morning I wake up telling myself I'll start today, but fall of the bandwagon by the evening. Someone help!

Replies

• sdirbder
    sdirbder Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Start with just logging what youre eating. Take a walk around the block. Small steps.
  • lcoudon
    lcoudon Posts: 6
    Options
    I've already logged what I'm eating, I've been doing this for awhile. I can't seem to get the motivation back that I had last year when I lost a ton of weight. Plus my wedding is coming up and I'm feeling disgusting with this extra weight.
  • shellyrulz
    shellyrulz Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    It really helps me if I get up and do my cardio first thing in the morning! My daughters dance instructor has her bachelors in fitness and I asked her what I should do because it seemed I was stuck and was not losing after exercising and eating right, but I lost inches. She told me you burn 200% more calories if you do cardio first thing in the morning. As soon as I changed my routine up I started losing again and I lost 3 lbs since I followed her advice, no clue on the inches because I have not been measuring but I am getting into clothes I couldn't wear last summer and I have also gotten into a pair of shorts I haven't wore in 2 years they are a little tight but I plan on being in those comfortably by vacation in 3 weeks. Don't give up and keep on fighting it will come if you are diligent about it.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Only you can motivate yourself. You have to want to do it for you, and that's the only way its going to happen.
  • bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Do you have a pic of now and when you were at goal to compare? You need to focus and get control
  • superjae5
    superjae5 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Maybe your goal is too high right now? Like maybe you should start with 1/2 a pound a week so you have more calories to consume so it doesn't feel like dieting. I really don't feel like I'm dieting, I just try to be informed about what I'm eating. Some things I do to help with food cravings are chewing gum--usually a fruity flavored kind so it's kinda like I'm eating candy. I also keep the 100-cal microwave popcorn bags handy on rough days. It's a low-cal snack that is very filling so I can jam through to the next meal.

Do you eat out a lot? I don't know anything about you, so I'm sorry if it seems like I'm making assumptions... Anyways, cooking at home saves calories and often you can eat more than you could at a restaurant. I cook a lot of rice dishes because it's filling but lower calorie. I've nearly abandoned pasta. Even whole wheat, at least for now, since it seems to be too high cal.

If veggies and fruits feel too much like diet food, maybe you need to spend time weening yourself onto them. I used to hate broccoli, now it's almost like ice cream when it's steamed with just a little bit of salt.... so tasty! But my tastebuds didn't change overnight. I had to work at it. Your body will start to crave healthier food.

As for exercise, you've got to find something you like or you WILL lose motivation. For me it was kung fu. It could be dancing, swimming, maybe even exercise games on the Wii (Just Dance is a decent calorie burner and it's fun). If the gym or running ain't cutting it, then you've got to change it. Even going for a simple walk for an hour gives you extra calories that make the limit easier to bear.

But remember, you've lost 40 lbs before, so you know you can do this. I think believing you can accomplish your goals is half the battle. You've proven it, so it's fact: you can do this!
  • shellyrulz
    shellyrulz Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    btw that 3 lbs was in a week.
  • aimeetu
    aimeetu Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I've been on that bandwagon before. Actually I'm just coming out on the other side of it. I had to sit down and really focus on what is different now than when I was "motivated". Is it my diet, exercise or where I am in life. Not surprisingly it was a little of all three but the biggest factor was that my life and the things in it have changed significantly since I was at my goal weight. Look at these things and when you're journaling your food intake/exercise also journal your feelings and moods etc You may be surprised what you find out. Sometimes it's not what you're eating it's what's eating you!!
  • lcoudon
    lcoudon Posts: 6
    Options
    Superjae5 you are so right. I have done this before, which is why I think I'm beating myself up about not being able to get myself into control NOW. I think I'm so hell bent on seeing the pds adding up rather than setting small realistic goals. I do also need to find an exercise that I like. I've tried P90x but I always feel like a failure and get discouraged quickly because I just can't physically keep up.

I do eat out a lot and I think I need to concentrate more on fruits and veggies. I enjoy them, and if I carried them around more (I work two jobs, therefore I'm away from home 12+ hrs a day) I think I'd be more inclined to eat them, since now it's easier to grab something from Burger King on my way to work :/

Thanks for the support and advice everyone, I can already feel my resolve coming back!