Eating calories you have burned

Options
2»

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I always eat mine back. But, after a year of trying to figure my body out -- I've finally learned that it doesn't do well when I drop my calories too low. Not eating back my exercise calories means I'm not consuming enough calories. For me, this means my weight loss stalls and if I do it for too many days in a row -- I will actually gain weight. So, I ALWAYS eat them back! Always.

This is exactly my issue, i never used to eat enough when i was training martial arts for ten years... I only bounced back and forth between the same 20 pounds... and i tell you i never ate as much as i do on this site... steadily losing 2 pounds a week... except last week... got a little stuck for some reason :)

It's taken a lot for me to get over the "eat less = weight loss" "diet" theory that has been pounded in our brains for so long. Yes, you have to have a calorie deficit to lose weight but when you're busting your butt working out -- you HAVE to eat in order to lose the weight. I wish I would have learned this earlier in my journey. lol.

That is what I have been telling my mom... all my life i was told I eat too much and that is why i am overweight... well for the last 25 years i have been eating less.. i really think that martial arts is one of the best workouts... so i was quite annoyed and frustrated... started eating more and there goes that theory.... i too wish I had learned this when i was 19 ;) that is when most of my weight started and i would work out like 1500 calories a day and try to barely eat haha... so annoying - nice to know there is someone similar... I think everyone's bodies work different ways. :)

Yes. Everyone's body is different. I try and tell people that who insist I eat too much. Yes, I DO eat a lot of calories in a day. BUT. I work in retail so I am on my feet 5 days a week for 5-9 hours a day. Running here, there and everywhere. Plus, my hands are always doing something too - folding, putting our freight, etc. I'm ALWAYS busy. Add in the gym (and Tae Bo once a week) and I NEED those calories.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    This is a hot topic on here. I personally eat back most of my calories, there are many people that don't. If you want your body to function properly and increase your metabolism (which is what burns the fat) you need to feed it. I think there are a few things that are important to note (mainly from reading the MANY posts on this topic)
    1. If you have alot to lose then you can get away with eating fewer calories, the closer you are to your goal the more important it is to eat the calories.
    2. The type of workout that you're doing. I do high intensity workouts 6 times / week where I really push myself, if I don't eat enough I will pass out. If I go for a long walk, those are calories that I'm not as concerned with eating back. If you're burning 100 calories probably not as important to eat them back as if your burning 500+ calories.
    3. Alot of people don't eat them back and lose, but at some point stop losing because their body is holding onto the calories knowing that they are scarce, so eating more helps them to start losing again.

If you want to eat them back you should plan for the workout and eat the calories throughout the day. People work out at night and then at 9pm have 500 calories extra that they don't feel like eating. If you eat a couple of snacks throughout the day it's easier to get them in - nuts are great because they are higher in calories.

I'm not an expert, and lots of people will disagree with me but this is my opinion and it works for me!

Good Luck!

I agree with this post. However, I DO workout late at night ( I work second shift) and I do eat after I work out. I like knowing I can come home from the gym and drink a protein shake or eat some fish with veggies and I'll have the room for it in my calories. But, it varies from person to person.
  • lisapickering
    lisapickering Posts: 374
    Options
    What healthy stuff does everyone eat to eat back your calories? I struggle to eat enough in a day anyway, so when I have to eat back my calories, I really struggle. I do not want to load up on junk just to get in calories.

I eat nuts - walnuts, almonds, pistachios -- they are high calorie without a huge quantity so easy to up your calories with getting stuffed plus lots of good thing in nuts, I have a hard time getting protein in so this helps. Protein bars, peanut butter, avocados.
  • Akaratel
    Akaratel Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    What healthy stuff does everyone eat to eat back your calories? I struggle to eat enough in a day anyway, so when I have to eat back my calories, I really struggle. I do not want to load up on junk just to get in calories.

I eat almonds (my favorite) , yogurts, string cheese, bananas, glass of skim milk
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue as well. Any type of nut is great, though macadamia nuts are some of the best if you don't have the time because they are one of the highest in calories and good fats. I also make smoothies or eat protein bars.