Increase Calories...?

Options
So I've been doing 1,200-1,300 calories for quite some time and lately I feel like I've reached a plateau and that my body is literally "asking" me for more calories (good calories)... I'm a Vegetarian and I eat clean so I'm not worried about eating bad... I also am in Week 2 of the 'Insanity' work-out program so I feel like I may be building more muscle which is why I'm not seeing much change on the scale (I think I'm losing some inches though...) --- Anyway my question is... should I raise my calories to 1,400 see how that goes and then maybe 1,500?? I'm about 5lbs away from my goal weight and then it'll just be maintenance & toning from there on out... just not sure if 1,400-1,500 will be too much in order to lose the last 5? Any advice would be great :-)

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I upp'ed my calories and lost 4lbs in a week. If you've reached a plateau and you feel like your body needs more food - then feed it. The worst that'll happen is you'll see a gain and if so, go back to your original calories and it'll come right back off. I think you'll be surprised to see that eating more = weight loss.

I would recommend changing your calories for at least a week or two -- that way your body has a chance to "catch up" to what you're doing.
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Yep, go for it- you might be pleasantly surprised at the results! Good luck!
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Great question....I know just this morning I changed mine from 1200 to 1390. I feel like I'm hungry all the time too, I drink tons of water and eat good healthy foods but my tummy wakes me up in the morning around 4 am now lol. I don't mind at all to exercise at all to gain calories which I do everday but still feel that isn't enough. I've been on mfp for 100+ days and even though I'm working out harder....the weight isn't budging. I'm down to my last 10 lbs so I know that makes things harder. I say go for the extra calories....your body sounds like what mine is doing and trying to let us know that it needs more food. Good luck to you:)
  • beth050680
    beth050680 Posts: 7
    Options
    I hope she doesn't mind me posting this, but the author of this blog posted this on a different forum the other day and I just happened to read it - PLEASE PLEASE read this!!!! It is absolutely hands down the most helpful thing on the article of plateau-ing/raising calories I've ever read! I had never even heard of raising calories to lose weight, but the way she explains it TOTALLY makes sense.

http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.com/2011/05/most-dreaded-word-in-weight-loss.html

Good luck! You can do it! :wink:
  • rorosaw
    rorosaw Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're consuming enough calories given that your exercising as well. I stuck to a 1200-calorie diet for a long time and it worked against me. I thought I was doing the right thing by keeping my calories low. I wasn't! I wasn't consuming enough and my body was going into starvation mode. 1200 calories is the MINIMUM number of calories your body needs. Add exercise and your body needs MORE. Take it from me. I started eating a lot of my exercise calories and the weight started falling off!

Good luck!
  • njean888
    njean888 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Yes increase your calories. I believe the recommendation on the Insanity nutritional program would have you eating significantly more than you are.
  • genie98
    genie98 Posts: 62
    Options
    Bump
  • JoAnn73
    JoAnn73 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    How tall are you and how much do you weigh? I've started my weight loss program last May and have lost 107pounds so far and still have not reached my goal. The smaller i get the harder i have to work or take another look at what I am eating. I have hit 3 plateaus! But most likely you would need to increase your calories and then look at how hard or long you workout. I run/speedwalk everyday at work and then after work 30min of strenght training and 30mins of advanced aerobics 6days a week. last MAY I was 298 pounds today 191. My goal is 183 and im 5'5. Just dont give up!
  • JenniCH
    JenniCH Posts: 74
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! I think I'm going to increase to 1,500 and see what happens - I expect good results :-) :-) I think I have the exercising down, I know I drink enough water (I don't log it in my diary but I drink at least 65 oz/day) and so I'm thinking an increase in calories will really get things moving again and I know it's what is best for my body!
    I love MFP... such a great source for advice and encouragement :-)
    And Beth - thanks for the article - makes complete sense!! Wish me luck he he...
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I was stuck for about a month, so I changed my goals from 1.5 lb to 1 lb a week.
    Stuck with that for a few weeks, they went back down and it worked.
    I also changed my exercise up.
    Good luck!
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Beth, that is a great post...thanks for sharing!! It makes so much sense:)
  • gail2207
    gail2207 Posts: 133
    Options
    I hope she doesn't mind me posting this, but the author of this blog posted this on a different forum the other day and I just happened to read it - PLEASE PLEASE read this!!!! It is absolutely hands down the most helpful thing on the article of plateau-ing/raising calories I've ever read! I had never even heard of raising calories to lose weight, but the way she explains it TOTALLY makes sense.

http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.com/2011/05/most-dreaded-word-in-weight-loss.html

That's the most helpful article i've read in ages. Might explain why i've hit a plateau at my ideal weight but still feel 'flabby'.
  • JenniCH
    Options
    JoAnn - I am 5'7" and weigh 155... Since last June I've lost a total of about 120lbs... so I think my body is just really wanting/needing more calories after having such a huge deficit for almost a year!
    Congrats to you on the weight loss!! Go us :):):) I usually do running/swimming/other cardio 5 times a week but since starting the Insanity Program (60 day program) I am just doing the work-out DVDs because I don't want to get burnt-out - once the program is done I'll go back to my normal running/swimming etc.
  • 1horsetown
    1horsetown Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I'm doing some of this myself. I have been at 1200 calories for months. I was using MFP's calorie use calculator. I was losing at a decent rate, not too fast, not too slow.

Then I got a HRM. Found out that the calculator here is quite a bit high.

So I started eating according to the new #'s.

My weight loss has stopped and I'm hungry ALL-THE-TIME. I wasn't usually hungry before.

My convoluted thought process is: I was eating back all of my exercise calories most days, but they were 200-300 high everyday. Maybe I just need that many more calories for my metabolism.

I went into my settings to see how many calories I would need to maintain where I am (I'm within 7# of my goal). It said 1870 to maintain. Then I put in a half pound per week loss. That came back at 1570.

I set my calorie limit to 1500. It was SO MUCH easier yesterday. Didn't feel like I was starving and had 250 calories left at the end of the day.

Every body is different. Every lifestyle is different. If it's not working at those exact levels, then tinker.

I can't stick with this if I feel like I'm starving the whole time. And if it takes me 3 more months to get to my goal weight? WHO CARES!!! As long as it's gone!
  • JenniCH
    Options
    I'm doing some of this myself. I have been at 1200 calories for months. I was using MFP's calorie use calculator. I was losing at a decent rate, not too fast, not too slow.

Then I got a HRM. Found out that the calculator here is quite a bit high.

So I started eating according to the new #'s.

My weight loss has stopped and I'm hungry ALL-THE-TIME. I wasn't usually hungry before.

My convoluted thought process is: I was eating back all of my exercise calories most days, but they were 200-300 high everyday. Maybe I just need that many more calories for my metabolism.

I went into my settings to see how many calories I would need to maintain where I am (I'm within 7# of my goal). It said 1870 to maintain. Then I put in a half pound per week loss. That came back at 1570.

I set my calorie limit to 1500. It was SO MUCH easier yesterday. Didn't feel like I was starving and had 250 calories left at the end of the day.

Every body is different. Every lifestyle is different. If it's not working at those exact levels, then tinker.

I can't stick with this if I feel like I'm starving the whole time. And if it takes me 3 more months to get to my goal weight? WHO CARES!!! As long as it's gone!

**I think you are right on the money :) Doesn't matter how long it takes to get to the goal as long as we have a goal and reach it the healthy way!! And tinkering definitely seems to be the way to go - because yup, everyone is different - gotta be willing to switch things up and find what works :)
  • jessicamarie81
    jessicamarie81 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this! I feel like I've been "stuck" for weeks now or it has been very slow. The first 15 came off so easily with my plan and now I'm at such a standstill. While I truly do enjoy my exercise routine, my body has became too comfortable. Time to shake things up and eat more cals. It is terrifying to eat more when the goal is to lose but it makes a lot of sense.
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Wow this was a really good blog. Thanks for sharing.

Good luck! You can do it! :wink:
  • designerdiscounts
    designerdiscounts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Excellent information in that blog post - I'm saving this for later.
  • eericson51
    eericson51 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I just started my "diet" and the Insanity program again two weeks ago as well. I was on a 1200-1300 calorie a day diet and haven't lost anything! I started using a HRM this week and realized that I was burning WAY more calories than I thought (I was estimating the first week). So really, my body was only getting 800-1000 calories a day! So I upped mine to 1400 and always each back my exercise calories. Just adding an extra 200 calories yesterday, I was down a 1/2 lb today. Hopefully, the scale keeps moving down!
  • roselynsy
    roselynsy Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    bump to read later