Suspension trainers & slackline

Options
Shizzman
Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
So kind of two different subjects, but here goes. Anybody have input on suspension trainers (TRX/USA/etc) or about getting into slacklining?

Replies

• Shizzman
    Options
    Bump....so far no one has any experience with Slacklining or suspension trainers?

I'd like to try Slacklining since it seems like fun and should work the core rather well. I've tried TRX and thought it provided a pretty good workout, but I'm debating if I should go with TRX or the USA cause the USA seems like it might allow for better usage.
  • laneyh42
    laneyh42 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've seen slacklining but never tried it. Hard to imagine how you start something like that..without breaking an ankle. :)
  • Shizzman
    Options
    I'd assume very carefully and working into to it....but just guessing. I wish I either new people around here that did it or could think of places to set it up...guess I'll see when I finally break down and buy one....
  • pannacottayum
    pannacottayum Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    i have TRX's and Purmotion suspension trainers at my gym. I've played around with them but haven't used them on a regular basis. the purmotion one's are a bit more challenging, they have a pulley where the trx has ike 4 inches of slack in the middle.

Slacklining...i've thought about it myself though i don't have a place to set it up. i guess i could bring it to a park or something. FYI go to Northern Tool or whatever version of cheaper Home depot you have by you. You can score a 10,000 pound rated ratchet with webbing (27ft) for less than 20 bucks. Try it out, if you hate it, bring it back.
  • Shizzman
    Options
    Ah, just looked at the Purmotion. Interesting different design, could be fun to try out.

That's a good idea to get slackline on the cheap.
  • simone207
    simone207 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have not tried one yet -it looks like they would be a great core and balance workout. On you tube they show how to make your own. Eventually, when I find the time I would like to try and make one.
  • Shizzman
    Options
    When I got some personal training at my gym, the trainer that I'm friends with had me do TRX a couple times and it does rather work the core. Although I haven't gotten to try any of the other suspension trainers. I'm tempted to get one, but I figure if I'm going to spend the money I might as well try and make sure to go with the right one. Plus Slacklining seems like it would be fun and could also work the core too since it is all about balance.
  • GageG
    GageG Posts: 12
    Options
    I do both. Slacklining is fun, it works your core a little, but I feel it most in my lower legs, they get tired fast. I love suspension training, it works your core, but can work almost everything else. It can also give a great cardiovascular if done with no resting, plus there are hundreds of exercises that kept the workout varied. I made my own similar to the trx. http://adventuresutah.blogspot.com/2010/08/suspension-trainer.html
  • pannacottayum
    pannacottayum Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I do both. Slacklining is fun, it works your core a little, but I feel it most in my lower legs, they get tired fast. I love suspension training, it works your core, but can work almost everything else. It can also give a great cardiovascular if done with no resting, plus there are hundreds of exercises that kept the workout varied. I made my own similar to the trx. http://adventuresutah.blogspot.com/2010/08/suspension-trainer.html
    Dude. Nice work on the homebrew TRX...looks factory.
  • Shizzman
    Options
    The two you made look like pretty good home made builds. I'll send you an email about the instructions.
    EDIT: I do have to agree it is one of the better looking home made versions I've seen and I agree it is high enough quality that it looks professionally made!
    Second Edit: Got a copy of the instructions, I think I'm going to try and make one (although might have to find someone with a sewing machine). I hope it'll turn out as well as what GageG has made.

You also mentioned that you slackline, what do you use for slacklining?
  • GageG
    GageG Posts: 12
    Options
    I use one or two inch webbing and a ratchet or carabiners to tighten it.