Question for All You Cyclists

Options
Hi everyone,

Have been cycling in the evening and weekends now for about two weeks, currently I do around 3 rides a week with rest days in between. Weekends are usually 14-16 miles each day and in the evenings around 8-10 miles.

I've been out tonight after two rest days in a row and my legs tire very easily, but i keep on pushing through.

Is there anything I can do to refrain my legs from tiring so early into my rides? At the moment I feel when my next ride comes round my legs are still tired from 2 days ago :(

Any advice would be very welcome!

Replies

• jeff261159
    jeff261159 Posts: 385
    Options
    im the same with my running, half a mile into it Im thinkng theres no way im going to make the 4, 5 or 6 miles. I just push through and think about something else! In time I guess the pain will dissappear. I guess its just we just arent used to it!!!
  • MattArcade
    MattArcade Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I agree will take time but think I need to either up the protein a little more for further recovery or get some more long distance rides in to break the pain barrier. I have a protein shake after my work out followed by eggs so trying to get as much in as possible!
  • Somnifac
    Somnifac Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If you're on a geared bike, try a lower gear and spinning a little bit faster. The human body operates best in a fairly narrow power band, and you may be a little outside it.

General rule of thumb: If your legs hurt, switch to a lower gear. If your lungs hurt, switch to a higher gear.

Also, it's only been 2 weeks. Your body will adjust, as long as you're not over doing it, which it doesn't sound like. My goal this weekend is at least 130 miles on the bike. That certainly will happen as the rides are already planned. But if I can get an extra 35 a day for the 200 for the weekend I'm doing it. At one point, a 10 mile loop was agony. Now I can do a 100 mile ride without any major ill effects.
  • MattArcade
    MattArcade Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    That's great thankyou for the advice I will try that. Your right I've been trying too much to bike in the top gear as much ax I can. I'll knock it down a few to let me recover. I'm trying not to rest on the pedals just keep peddling even the downhills.