too much iron?

Options
Hi there!

I'm writing because I keep reading that pre-menopausal women (me) need just about 16mg of iron/day, but MFP says I need a total of 100mg/day! That sounds like way too much.

Does anyone know why MFP wants me/us to consume so much iron? Does greater consumption of iron aid in weight loss? What's going on?

Thank you!

Replies

• nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    Are you sure its 100mg - or 100%
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    mfp is set at 100 PERCENT of recommended, not 100g.

if something has 4g it would probably add 25%...for example.
  • elektradarling
    elektradarling Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure those 100's at the bottom are all that accurate, a woman and a man need different amounts of certain things, especially women can need more iron around the "special" time of the month etc...

Also the 100 vit c isn't right cause I take a supplement and then that puts me to minus 1000 lol!

So I just concentrate on the fat and the calories mainly, I think the other things are just basic amounts perhaps?
  • elektradarling
    elektradarling Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Oh I see 100%, even still some people's 100% is different to others :)
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Most product labels list vitamin C, thiamin, niacin, folic acid, calcium, riboflavion, Vitamin b and magnesium as the % you need... not the mgs. I know from experience if you don't get enough iron it will affect everything you do. Understanding the difference between 100% of what you need and mgs will clear up your concern.
  • satnat
    satnat Posts: 7
    Options
    thank you for your input, everyone!