Elevation changes and excersise question

Options
JDRBT
JDRBT Posts: 264 Member
Does anyone know the effect of elevation on exercising?

My example:
I just moved from sunny Southern California to green Western Washington. It is BEAUTIFUL up here. There is a LOT to adjust to! I've staved off SAD with some extra vitamin D every day and making sure I get as much natural light as possible. While it really doesn't rain too badly, it's FAR more overcast here than I'm accustomed to back in the foothills of Escondido, California. I'm getting use to checking for calorie counts on line BEFORE I dine out (in CA, any food service business with more than 20 locations MUST publish their nutritional information in each establishment - even vending machines), and finding new "comfort foods" because it's chilly most of the time.

Today I went for my first outdoor run since I've been here. I didn't bonk! I ran a mile in about 11 minutes, which is pretty decent for me as I haven't been running in a while.

However, it felt like it took me MUCH longer to recover from this run than it has in previous runs down south.

I found out that Escondido, CA is at about 72 ft. My current hometown in Washington is at 646 ft.
Could the elevation be playing a part in this?
If so, should I just take more time to cool down than my usual 2-3 minutes or is there a better way to counteract this?
Thanks!

Replies

• LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Yes, the air is thinner the higher you go.. not as much oxygen, it makes sense it would take longer to get the same amount of recovery.
  • foreverjade
    foreverjade Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I don't know the science behind it but YES definitely altitude affects your cardio abilities!!!

I'm the opposite of you, live in high altitude - on the Rocky Mountains basically, and notice it when I travel down south. I travel to Houston quite often and when I am down there, I can run up to .5 miles faster for 2 or 3 kms LONGER before getting tired. I noticed it for the first time when I was on a cruise in the Carribean when I was working out for about 2+ hours a day without getting tired. At home, I am way more severely out of breath and faster!
  • ItsLessOfMe
    ItsLessOfMe Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I think its something about the oxygen but I think your body should adjust
  • JDRBT
    Options
    Yes, the air is thinner the higher you go.. not as much oxygen, it makes sense it would take longer to get the same amount of recovery.

Thanks! I didn't realize that a few hundred feet made such a difference! Probably why I've been a bit more achy too. Couple that with the allergies (BIG difference from the foothills to a place with, ya know, trees that aren't palm) and WHEW! it's tough to get out there and run, but I think that's EXACTLY what I need to do more of!
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I am in Denver for the weekend, I'm from NY. This morning one tabata drill had my heart pounding out of my chest. I am doing a 4 mi run tomorrow... Not sure how that will go, but to me, the difference is huge!
  • XanderWiFi
    XanderWiFi Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Elevation definitely affects your performance-I am not sure how drastic 600 feet would be. I can say being transferred to Ft. Bliss, TX from Ohio there is a 4-7,000 ft. elevation increase. As a result my 2-mile run time is 1-2 minutes slower and I feel like I am gonna DIE when I push myself, lol.

Because of the elevation increase your body actually becomes more efficient (particularly the mitochondria in your body which process energy in your body), your red blood cell levels will increase to carry more oxygen and if you ever go from a high to low elevation and work out, it will seem like a cake walk because you have been training in harsher conditions.

Because of this, high performance trainers will train in higher altitudes to gain these benefits. Although, your PEAK performance will always be better at a lower altitude which is why olympic athletes will train both high and low. High to gain the extra bodily assets (RBC, efficiency) and low to maximize their ability.
  • LonelyPilgrim
    LonelyPilgrim Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    elevation can make a big difference, but the elevation change you're talking about is pretty insignificant (I think?)

my hometown is at about 1350ft and when I ran a race up at our local ski resort (in the summer, though, very little snow) which was at about 6000ft, I felt a difference, but little differences such as a few hundred feet, I dont' notice at all (I often go up to a local trail that must be a good 1000 feet elev higher than I'm at right now)

i think it's much more likely that it's taking you a long time to recover because you haven't run in a while. Yes, your muscle memory is still there to run the 11 min mile, but the effort is greater. I'm always amazed at how fast I get out of running shape .. I took almost a month off in Feb and the first run I did when I got started again, I was huffing and puffing to make it up hills that used to be easy. And my recovery was slower.

the good news is that although you lose it quickly (The endurance, or running fitness)you can also gain it back really quickly, it's not like starting at step 1 again.

Good luck, keep at it.!!!
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Oxygen makes a huge difference! I live at 8,300 feet and when I go to a lower elevation I can run for twice as long without getting tired.
  • JDRBT
    Options
    elevation can make a big difference, but the elevation change you're talking about is pretty insignificant (I think?)

my hometown is at about 1350ft and when I ran a race up at our local ski resort (in the summer, though, very little snow) which was at about 6000ft, I felt a difference, but little differences such as a few hundred feet, I dont' notice at all (I often go up to a local trail that must be a good 1000 feet elev higher than I'm at right now)

i think it's much more likely that it's taking you a long time to recover because you haven't run in a while. Yes, your muscle memory is still there to run the 11 min mile, but the effort is greater. I'm always amazed at how fast I get out of running shape .. I took almost a month off in Feb and the first run I did when I got started again, I was huffing and puffing to make it up hills that used to be easy. And my recovery was slower.

the good news is that although you lose it quickly (The endurance, or running fitness)you can also gain it back really quickly, it's not like starting at step 1 again.

Good luck, keep at it.!!!
    Thanks for the encouragement! If the WORST of it is that it takes my body a few more minutes to cool down, then I'm on the right track!
  • LonelyPilgrim
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement! If the WORST of it is that it takes my body a few more minutes to cool down, then I'm on the right track!

amen sista!
  • LonelyPilgrim
    Options

amen sista!

uh, can I get another amen?! (sorry, double post)
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Working out at higher altitude definitely challenges your body more. That's why the U.S. Olympic Training Center is located in Colorado Springs. Lance Armstrong also has a house in Colorado and trains here quite frequently.
    I think you did great on your run and should be proud of being in such good shape!