going over in protein, but way under in calories

Options
I was wondering if anyone else is finding their calorie intake very low but their protein intake over what MFP suggests.

To explain - I'm eating as much low cal low fat high protein foods I can during the day and then instead of eating dinner, I eat a whey protein meal replacement shake that has A LOT of protein (like 18 g) and only 100 calories.

Is there anyone else out there following this type of nutrition plan and what have you experienced?

One note - I'm completely full all day because I snack on green beans and carrots.

Replies

• LAPETITERUSE
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone else is finding their calorie intake very low but their protein intake over what MFP suggests.

To explain - I'm eating as much low cal low fat high protein foods I can during the day and then instead of eating dinner, I eat a whey protein meal replacement shake that has A LOT of protein (like 18 g) and only 100 calories.

Is there anyone else out there following this type of nutrition plan and what have you experienced?

One note - I'm completely full all day because I snack on green beans and carrots.
  • Sunibc22
    Options
    I'm finding the same thing. I'm always over on my protein but under on my carbs and fats. So far I'm not too worried about it cause I'm losing. I never go over on my carbs though!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I have changed my goals, so I eat twice what MFP recommends (30% calories rather than 15%). Don't worry about going over, you're only eating about 15% of your calories from protein, and as an active individual, you'll use it. However, I don't go under on calories; I eat 40-45% carbohydrates, 20-30% fat. and 25-35% protein. If I am low on carbs, I eat something high in carbs, like pasta...low in protein, just eat a chicken breast...I just eat what I need to reach those goals.
  • LAPETITERUSE
    Options
    when I say way under, I mean way under. Here is what my tally is for today - and this includes my shake for dinner which I haven't eaten yet, but I already added it in to see my daily total.

My food today includes: coffee in the morning. green beans and carrots for breakfast; shrimp louie salad for lunch; laughing cow and low fat flax seed crackers for snack. and then the shake I've already accounted for at dinner. I also have green beans and carrots to snack on throughout the day that are leftover from the portion I accounted for at breakfast.

total consumed
    cals: 673
    carb: 70
    fat: 17
    protein: 60

Daily Goal
    cals: 1710
    carb: 235
    fat: 57
    protein: 64

Remaining
    cals: 1037
    carb: 165
    fat: 40
    protein: 4
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Why not eat a real breakfast? Eating oats with whey mixed in (really yummy) or whole grain toast and eggs with add a good chunk to those calories; I usually eat 300 cals at breakfast. The veggies are good to snack on, but each meal needs to include a carbohydrate, protein, and fat if you're that low on calories.
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Whole grains, fruits, and nuts are marvelous things to get more calories from carbs and healthy fats.
  • jazpiri
    jazpiri Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    you're on the right track as far as choosing healthy foods, but remember that eating that few of calories (673) puts your body into starvation mode which will have the opposite effect of what you are trying to accomplish. Also, carbs are the bodies main source of energy for the brain meaning that if you are not consuming adequate carbohydrates your brain cannot function properly. You need a minimum of 250g carb a day in order for your body to produce the cells it needs to function and for your brain to work properly. So, up the calories and the carbs by eating fruit, non fat yogurt, whole grains, etc... otherwise you're going to end up very frustrated in the long run.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    you're on the right track as far as choosing healthy foods, but remember that eating that few of calories (673) puts your body into starvation mode which will have the opposite effect of what you are trying to accomplish. Also, carbs are the bodies main source of energy for the brain meaning that if you are not consuming adequate carbohydrates your brain cannot function properly. You need a minimum of 250g carb a day in order for your body to produce the cells it needs to function and for your brain to work properly. So, up the calories and the carbs by eating fruit, non fat yogurt, whole grains, etc... otherwise you're going to end up very frustrated in the long run.

Agree with most of what you say but you're off on the needed carbs.

I get by on under 150 carbs usually--and many diabetics go even lower than that--and I function just fine.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

Agree with most of what you say but you're off on the needed carbs.

I get by on under 150 carbs usually--and many diabetics go even lower than that--and I function just fine.

I agree. The brain will function even when you're not eating any--the body makes its own glucose. If we died just from lack of carbs...well, there wouldn't be many Inuits around. :wink: There are several alternate energy pathways, plus not everyone can just eat 250+ carbohydrates...that'd be over half of my daily calories.