Anyone seen 'Supersize Me'?

Options
Yeah so I just watched most of the comedy-documentary 'Supersize Me' in my health psychology class. Has anyone else seen this thing? It's incredible. I think I will never eat McDonalds food ever again! So the main storyline through everything else was this guy who decided to conduct an experiment with his own health - eat nothing but McDonalds food for an entire 30 days. He ate a variety - from the morning pancakes, hash browns and sausage to Big Macs and the occasional salad, as well as a healthy spread of fried Chicken McNuggets. Well, I won't say exactly what happened - so I don't spoil it for anyone - but I was floored. So were his doctors.

Anyone else leaving McDonalds behind for good as a result of this documentary?

Replies

• nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Yeah so I just watched most of the comedy-documentary 'Supersize Me' in my health psychology class. Has anyone else seen this thing? It's incredible. I think I will never eat McDonalds food ever again! So the main storyline through everything else was this guy who decided to conduct an experiment with his own health - eat nothing but McDonalds food for an entire 30 days. He ate a variety - from the morning pancakes, hash browns and sausage to Big Macs and the occasional salad, as well as a healthy spread of fried Chicken McNuggets. Well, I won't say exactly what happened - so I don't spoil it for anyone - but I was floored. So were his doctors.

Anyone else leaving McDonalds behind for good as a result of this documentary?
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I have eaten fast food 3 times in the last 3 months.

And I did see that movie. It was quite a surprise at the end.
  • areay
    areay Posts: 463
    Options
    I've seen the movie. I really don't like Mc Donald's, but i don't think any other fast food is better. We maybe eat out twice a month. But, not because of the movie
  • maggie2020
    Options
    Yes I have seen the movie,, did you watch the part about the french fries.. if not then rent the video, that has to the best/worst part of the movie,,,
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this movie! I wasn't a fan of McDonalds or fast food before I saw the movie.
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    After seeing that guy narf up a Big Mac & fries you'll never want one again. :noway:
  • casey34472
    casey34472 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Yes a long time ago. So sad they can't make better food. He also made one about heath care too.
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    Yes I have....and I have not eaten at McDonald's since.:sick:
  • GoGetterMom
    GoGetterMom Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Saw only parts. We let the kids go once a year (maybe) - their friends at school felt sorry for them :noway:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Yes I have seen the movie,, did you watch the part about the french fries.. if not then rent the video, that has to the best/worst part of the movie,,,

Oh, my, yes it is. The smoking fry I believe it's called. Yum. Haven't eaten at a fast food chain in years, even before the movie. I like his 30 days series too, even with it's flaws.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    What happens to the fries again??? (I saw it a few years ago when it first came out)....

Did Morgan Spurlock do a docu on health care, or are you referring to Michael Moore's "Sicko"?

One thing to point out (that is of interest to us calorie counters) is that he also ate an excess of calories - which contributed to his great weight gain and health problems. On the flip side, the movie also featured a man who eats a big mac every day of his life and is quite slim (Big Macs have around 580 calories) and that's all he ate for one meal everyday.

I am not a proponent of fast food, by any means, but the calorie factor was also a problem with his diet, as was the repetitive nature of greasy food - most people don't eat is daily (or do they - ick) Think about a 30 day diet where you eat 3000 calories a day of just olive oil - you might be feeling so well, even though it is a "healthy" food choice....

Just another perspective...
    :flowerforyou:
  • pecksun8
    Options
    I also saw the documentary and I thought he did do a very good job getting his point across and showing how unhealthy it can be to eat at fast food establishments all the time. However there is another book out about eating at McDonalds that takes a different point of view on eating fast food everyday and still lose weight. It's called...I can't find the folio weekly, it was on the cover. I will look at find it. But there are other articles that also cover the topic of losing weight and eating fast food.

I personally think it's a bad idea to eat fast food while you are trying to lose weight because of temptation and it's not the best stuff for you either.

Here is one link to a story on weight loss and fast food.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8916080/
  • pinkpixies
    Options
    I have it on DVD. :smile:

Youtube has similar videos...like Supersize V Superskinny and Super Skinny Me and Super Slim Me.
  • emtink
    emtink Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    i saw it and i still love mcdonald's. their fries are one of my salty cravings. i think the film makes a good point about the general trend of eating more, exercising less, giant potions, etc. but he gained weight from the amount of calories he ate! i've lost 25 pounds and i still eat fast food. its not realistic for me to say that i will never eat fast food again, so i try to be reasonable when i do eat it.
  • nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    What happens to the fries again??? (I saw it a few years ago when it first came out)....

Did Morgan Spurlock do a docu on health care, or are you referring to Michael Moore's "Sicko"?

One thing to point out (that is of interest to us calorie counters) is that he also ate an excess of calories - which contributed to his great weight gain and health problems. On the flip side, the movie also featured a man who eats a big mac every day of his life and is quite slim (Big Macs have around 580 calories) and that's all he ate for one meal everyday.

I am not a proponent of fast food, by any means, but the calorie factor was also a problem with his diet, as was the repetitive nature of greasy food - most people don't eat is daily (or do they - ick) Think about a 30 day diet where you eat 3000 calories a day of just olive oil - you might be feeling so well, even though it is a "healthy" food choice....

Just another perspective...
    :flowerforyou:

Yes you're totally right, he was eating an excess of calories. However, if you think about it, the main problem with fast food is that it's so calorie-dense - it's packed with fats and simple carbohydrates. So in order to feel full with that kind of food, you eat more calories than you would with something less processed. I guess the point I'm trying to make here is, he kind of couldn't help it. Even the salads at McDonalds are way high in calories!

Also the fat/grease can be gross - I saw a guy donating plasma once who had only eaten fried chicken from McDonalds all day, and there were soft white cloudy clumps in his plasma (which is normally clear and tinted a sort of beige color). It was clogging up the machine used to pump his blood and causing issues, (prompting a discussion with the plebologist/technician and hence how I know he had eaten McDonald's chicken) and was very disgusting. So that stuff can actually affect you in other ways than just pure weight/calorie value. Something else to consider! (sorry if I grossed anyone out here!)