Hyopthyroid and hari loss???

Options
Dose anyone on here that has Hypothyriodism also have hair loss? I started noticing that my hair was coming out at an alarming rate and went to the dr. She tasted for many things and that is when I found out about my thyroid. That was about 4 years ago. Ive had my medicine ajusted several times (Synthroid). I still have days when my hair seems like it comes out like crazy. This really bothers me. Ive gone to see the dermotoligst and he gave me a script, but I have seen a difference yet. I got my thyroid rechecked like a week ago and the dr said it was low, then said we should lower my dose....what? its low and she wants to lower my dose...Maybe it was a typo in the letter she wrote. Gonna call on Monday and see whats going on......

Replies

• vickuli
    vickuli Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yes I am also and it is still falling out like crazy, but I am also a stylist and it is normal to loose hair every day, it is supposed to be replaced...
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    My daughter has thyroid issues...and hubby! I know, it seems opposite when they adjust the synthroid. It was hard for me to get my brain around. My daughter is on a very high dose of synthroid as she no longer has one. They removed it after they could not get her regulated. Regular blood tests and a good doctor are essential. Make sure you are eating enough protein as well.

All the best!:flowerforyou:
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    yes yes yes...

if i start to have severe hair loss - then i know it's time to call my doctor and increase my dosage of medication
  • BarnDogBob
    BarnDogBob Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    For Hypothyroid - TSH level too high
    For Hyperthyroid - TSH level too low

This might be what your doc was talking about.
  • theresabell67
    theresabell67 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    it's not a typo in the letter. I'm a RN and also have hypothyroidism, and with this particular lab, its the opposite of what you would normally think. So if your numbers are low, you are on the hyper side ( but you would think the opposite) and it your numbers are on high side you are on the hypo side. Hope this helps
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I have had similar experiences.. I would look into taking Armour Thyroid.. it contains both T3 and T4.. I think that makes a huge difference.. It did for me.
  • fh1951
    fh1951 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism nearly 20 years ago and have been on synthroid ever since, .1mg per day. Dosage has never changed and haven't had hair fallout. Get my thyroid levels checked every 6 months on doctor's orders. High TSH levels in your blood indicate hypothyroidism. If you saw a doctor and they told you to reduce your synthroid dosage because of high TSH levels, get a second opinion!
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    thats usually my first symptom that my meds need to be adjusted, I have very thick hair so its not usually noticable to those who dont know me well, but I have lost more than 50% of my hair at a time before, I had to cut all my hair off so it would grow in evenly, not my best moments.