South Beach Support

Options
Hi all, I am going to be starting the South Beach Diet for the first time on Tuesday. I'm nervous about starting this as I am a carb junkie and I don't know how I will do with this. I have about 60 pounds to lose and am at my wits end. I was successful on weight watchers and counting calories in the past but for some reason I can't seem to stick to that anymore. I am determined to make a new lifestyle change and will take all the support I can get. Anyone out there doing this plan or interested in starting with me? :)

Replies

• AshCarlson
    AshCarlson Posts: 122
    Options
    Hello!

I did the Phase I of the South Beach back in January and actually stuck to the 2 weeks of no carbs/added sugars deal. I will admit that I lost weight, but I didn't keep it off. I'm not trying to discourage you from doing it, but I think completely neglecting yourself of foods that mean so much to you ultimately can be your downfall in weight loss.

I would reccommend trying 80/20 meaning that you recognize 80% of the time of not eating bad carbs (there are good ones!) and added sugars. Once you master that, it actually becomes a habit! I'll be the first to admit that I have my slips, but I think you have a good start being on MFP! This is a great website with amazing people that will pick you up when you feel like you can't go on and give you great advice even when you don't think you need it!

Best of luck!
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I am following the South Beach plan and am in Phase 2. Phase 1 is pretty restrictive, but I found that it was the best way for me to curb my sugar habit.

You will lose quite a bit within Phase 1, but it is not meant to be a lifestyle. Phase 2 allows whole grains and fruits -- a much more balanced lifestyle approach. Avoid the temptation on staying on Phase 1 longer than 2 weeks.

Phase 1 wasn't that hard for me -- going cold turkey was the best for me, and I never felt hungry -- I just had to learn to like different foods.

There are several South Beachers' on the site -- feel free to friend me.
  • MargieNgainesville
    Options
    I do my version of South Beach and it works great for me. It really depends on your body and what it needs. For me having the majority of my carbs be complex (the old nothing white: sugar, potatoes, rice, bread) and making sure I keep my carbs balanced by my fiber works really great.

On the other hand my friend does not do so well on low carbs, his body requires a high level of mainly complex carbs (beans, vegetables, oatmeal, healthy bread) with small amounts of quality protein works best.

The reason that South Beach or Atkins ask you to cut carbs down to almost nothing for two weeks is to break the cravings for sugar and starch that most of us have. Once you break that hold.. the hunger is very controlable. Both diets, then tell you to add back healthy carbs with whole grains, veggies and fruit.

Read and learn and then listen to your body and your common sense. Getting your head right is essential to success. For me, it has to click in my brain, before I can stick with a plan.

Best wishes!
  • tiphanyrenee
    Options
    I am starting the South Beach Diet and Exercise Plan tomorrow 6/19... I am a diabetic and overweight and have 25-40 lbs to lose. I would be happy with 25, and exstatic with 40 :o) My dr. has pushed me starting the South Beach diet for a good year now, and I think I am actually ready. I usually get motivated and it lasts 3 days or so and I fall off the wagon, but I hope not this time... my health, kids, husband, and life in general is too important to let my weight be an issue any longer. I actually have a girl I work with that has been doing it for about 2 months now and she has lost 20 lbs and looks and feels amazing... I talked to her Friday before I left work for some guidance and asked if she could kinda help me stay motivated and be my guidance if need be... she is up for it and if you need support, I can help be yours in return also.

I wish you luck. Follow the diet to a "T" and also, don't forget to exercise 20-30 a day or more if you have time and feel up to more... walk, jog, do cardio dvd's, the circuit cardio works wonders all the way around. You put diet and exercise together, you obviously get faster and better results.

You can do it!!!