lose weight first, then exercise?

Options
I really don't want to exercise. Its too much work. Its boring. Am I wrong for trying to lose some pounds with a change in diet, then exercising when i'm at a more comfortable weight???

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    In my experience, I've found that I HAVE to exercise in order to lose weight. However, I know a lot of people don't exercise regularly and lose weight.

I think as long as you are careful about what you eat - you can do it. But, you'll see far better results if you work out.
  • Sadie98072
    Sadie98072 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Technically you dont need to exercise at all to lose weight if you eat within your calories...... However to speed up the process and to improve your overall health exercise would be beneficial. Maybe you could start with some incidental exercise just to get the ball rolling - park further away from the shops. Walk if you arent going that far. Take the stairs.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I really don't want to exercise. Its too much work. Its boring. Am I wrong for trying to lose some pounds with a change in diet, then exercising when i'm at a more comfortable weight???

I lost 39 lbs. then started exercising after. I'm on Day 4 of P90X and it's kicking my butt. I've never worked harder or been more sore. But there's no way I could have done this 39 lbs. ago. Do what works for you.

It's 80% diet/nutrition and 20% exercise.

EDITED TO ADD: I did sprinkle in some bike riding before now. Some long (2 hour) rides as well as short ones (10-minutes up to the grocery store or if I was in the mood for fast food I'd bike up).
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    too hard for me.

i love food, simple as that. i don't like living on 1200 calories, it sucks, so for me the only way i can eat more, is to exercise, then i can eat 1500-1600 calories a day, which is quite do-able for me.

for me, 1200 calories a day is just depriving myself, then leading to binging.

so, i exercise, so i can eat something that i consider to be normal.

food is a massive factor in losing weight, and you really won't lose the weight without getting the food right, but you'll never tone up or lose your saggy bits from food alone. and the pace will probably be slower if you are only using food without exercise. i have been going since xmas, and i've lost consistently approximately 3kg a month, so it's slow, but i wouldn't want it to be any slower than that or i'd give up and binge...
  • suzieqj
    suzieqj Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have not been exercising because my knees bother me. I want to lose enough weight so I don't have so much pain when I try to exercise. I have lost 20 pounds in 2 months by eating the amount of calories mfp allotted me, but it probably would have been more if I could have exercised.
  • shrinkinggg
    shrinkinggg Posts: 12
    Options
    I feel your pain. I hate hate HATE exercising. But I try to do things anyway, such as dancing to my favorite music, different DVDs or programs I find on Netflix or even YouTube, anything really. Even giving your house a good cleaning or cleaning out your garage is exercise. :)
  • titletown
    titletown Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I started out 2 years ago with strictly diet, I had the same feelings toward exercise, I hated it!

Fast forward to today, 90 lbs lighter, I am working more and more exercise in each week and have found the remaining pounds I need to lose to get to my goal come off a lot faster, I have a ton more energy, I am toning up quite nicely and...

I can eat more food, which is a good thing in my book ;)

Best of luck to you whatever you decide.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    It's not just for weight loss: it's for health.
    To each his own, but I will say that exercise becomes easier the more you do it. At least start small: some leisurely walks, biking around, playing your favorite music and dancing around... (I know I'm not the only one, here).
    Once you've got some moderate cardio, go for the strength. A few pushups, lunges, and crunches between meals (even just for 5 minutes) will get you mentally and physically to a point where more intense exercise seems plausible.

Bodies at rest tend to stay at rest.
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    You don't have to necessarily do repetitious exercise. You can garden, clean, walk, canoe, play basketball, volley ball, shovel snow, or any physical activity. It all counts. In fact I had a doctor tell me that is the best way to exercise. Just do what you enjoy. I read once the best calorie burner is the exercise you enjoy.

Best wishes on your journey!

Ron
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    The more muscle you have the more your body burns at rest. The number one reason to include exercise. Find an activity you can enjoy and just do it. What's the boring part? You can listen to music, audiobooks, or podcasts while you exrcise, you can do it with a friend and have somebody to talk to, or you can do things in groups that has social support. You CAN lose weight without exercise, but then you'll just be skinny fat with little muscle tone whatsoever.
  • angeljamin
    angeljamin Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I thought so too, at first, now I'm addicted! Everybody is different and if you're not enjoying what you're doing then it will be difficult to stick to it. Basically, do what makes you feel good :happy:
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Take walks...just keep moving. Try not to sit around much. I try and keep moving all day, when 8:00 pm comes I let myself sit and enjoy some well deserved tv : )
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    It's not just for weight loss: it's for health.

^^^This. But as PP said, it might be easier for you to lose a little weight before you start to feel better about exercise. Once you really get into exercise, though, it's a real high. I enjoy it. Plus, I enjoy that I can eat more food when I exercise! Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • CelebrateLife
    CelebrateLife Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel but once you start you just want to continue.
    Make small simple changes
    Do things that you enjoy(as long as you are active)
    Don't think of it as exercise
  • waster196
    waster196 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    It was pretty key for me to exercise right from the start. Even if you just do more walking at first and gradually build it up. The extra exercise will compliment whatever hard work you're putting in diet-wise and will give you better results. You just have to find the right exercise for you - it'll make the whole idea of exercise more appealing if you know you're gonna have fun whilst doing it. For me, I spend a lot of time sparring (boxing) with a friend - it's fun, lets off some steam and is a good cardio workout.

Hope you find your way :)
  • borichfan
    borichfan Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    You can loose weight without exercise but it's harder. You will get faster results if you exercise some. I am finding that it is harder to exercise now that i am getting older and overweight, i myself would like to loose some weight and then exercise.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options

You can, as weight loss is mainly about your diet.

However, you will lose much more muscle mass than if you exercised, so although you'll lose weight you will also have a higher percentage of body fat. Most of us are not looking for smaller but squishier versions of ourselves. ;)

If you exercise and eat a well-balanced diet, you'll retain more muscle mass and also protect your metabolism from lowering on fewer calories. You don't have to kill yourself; a half hour or so 3-4 times a week is plenty.
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    OK so here is my opinion- I weighed 235LBS when I started, I am down to 193 now. I started before I got on MFP- Working out actually made me feel smaller- I know it's crazy but mind over matter litterally. The best thing that ever happened to me was realizing I do not have to have a set workout "schedule" I do not have to do the same thing everyday. When I first started- and sometimes now I would do fun stuff Like turn on the radio and dance in place for five songs or go outside and play frizbee with my son. This motivated me because I would log my activity and see that I was burning calories which meant YAY I can eat more. This kept me focused and motivated. At 193 I just started P90X and am loving it and can follow a more ridgid schedule but I do not recommend this in the very begining. Take baby steps, see results, then get motivated to do more! we are cheering for you!
  • clarehaines
    clarehaines Posts: 49
    Options
    I was one of the people who used to say "I hate exercise" but ive just joined my local gym and ive been every day this week, when im on a machine and its counting the calories ive lost it really spurrs me to do that bit extra.... I eat under 1200 calories a day as well so it speeds up my weight loss programme, I think you have to combine the two, I dont want to lose weight then struggle to tone up afterwards because to me that sounds like an awful lot of effort!! Twice in fact, I love the gym - and where before I never thought I "had the time (or thats the excuse I gave!!)" to do it its become really ADDICTIVE and I just know im going to stick at it!
    Some gyms do a trial period where you can go at a really reduced rate for a week or a couple of days to see if you like it (not my gym but a lot do!!)
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I really don't want to exercise. Its too much work.
    Tough. Besides, it's not as much work as trying to lose weight and getting healthy by dieting alone.

If you want your weight loss to get a lot easier, if you want to make these changes, get up off your backside and do SOMETHING - it doesn't have to be "exercise" go dig the garden over or clean the kitchen from top to bottom or clear the shed out or whatever.

Your body is designed to do work - sitting around and doing nothing all day every day will destroy it, chances are you're likely to die younger and be more likely to get ill, and have a far worse quality of life.

Your body, your choice.