Concerns over posts content

Options

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I have to say I am very proud of my MFP family.

Not only did my sister feel free to express her concerns, but my other family members stepped up to the plate to admit they had gone astray!

Ahh if only my home life was that easy....

Its a beautiful day in the neighborhood! :heart: :heart:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options

Not only did my sister feel free to express her concerns, but my other family members stepped up to the plate to admit they had gone astray!

Yes, it is! And it's the reason I love MFP. Maybe we can put Mike up for President and we can all get this same attitude spread across the land!
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options

Yes, it is! And it's the reason I love MFP. Maybe we can put Mike up for President and we can all get this same attitude spread across the land!

Don't get political or Mike will have to block this thread.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • jlwhelan1
    Options
    There is another group that I'm in that puts a

*not for kids*

or

*Warning*

on posts...then I know to open them when I have time and and am in the right location to check what is on the post, or skip them altogether. I'm not at all for censoring, just for being able to determine appropriateness of whether for me to open or not.

Could something like that be incorporated here too?
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    An old board I was on used NSFW (Not Safe For Work) in thread topics
  • soup78
    soup78 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I know I can "get silly" at times and forget about where I am. I am sorry if anything I've said, or insinuated, offended anyone.:flowerforyou: I do like to have fun and my mind tends to stray at times, but now I will be more aware of what I say. Thank you for bringing it "into the light" (meaning, light-hearted and non-offensive - not at all inferring religion) but yet still very pc!

Good for you for speaking your mind, Shore! :drinker:

I :heart: MFP!
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    AS I was working out at the club, I was thinking (always dangerous for me) about this thread. I've noticed that the majority of "offenses" happen here, in the General Discussion section. Which means, conversely, that we seem to be keeping on track in all the other sections (just trying to bring in a bit of balance, in a positive manner). :tongue:
    Max's idea of putting OT PG13 is a great idea as well! Then I started to think about threads that get hijacked. Again, it seems to me that those threads usually don't get hijacked until the original topic has run it's course? So my suggestion for that, is to simply ask people, in your initial post, to please try to stay on topic. I think that might help with hijacking threads. Conversely, if you don't mind a bit of fun, you could even go as far at *whatever* point you feel has answered your comment, question or concern, insert a statement that would allow the Gutter Gang to run away with the thread.

I'm sure nobody wants the No Fun Police to suck the joy from our family gathering place! I hafta admit that all the zany shenanigans are truly what attracted me to this site! And I had thought that the General Discussion section was the place where we could let our hair down a bit, and be crazy. (again apologies to you if I have offended, I never intended to!). Hugz and luvya to all :drinker:
  • lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    Options
    Again, it seems to me that those threads usually don't get hijacked until the original topic has run it's course?

That is true, but it also depends on what time you are able to check the posts, and sometimes by then it has been hijacked, so any information that might have helped someone else would have to found in the middle of the off-topic portion of the original post. I like the idea of the OT PG 13, and also asking in the initial post to stay on track.:ohwell:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    :ohwell: :embarassed: :frown:

I hate to say it, but I have helped to hi-jack more than one thread recently and I can not apologize enough for doing so.

I'm sorry, MFP Family, if my thoughts have offeneded anyone.

But, I do have a suggestion! When we begin to go the way of hi-jacking, perhaps open a PG13 (or R-rated in some cases :noway: ) Thread? THey are fun to read, but yes, when I came back to read through the advice and it was 5 pages long with lots of off color comments, I felt as though maybe we're using this more as a Myspace or Facebook than a tool to reach out to others and get help for our weight issues.

Again, so sorry if I have offended anyone.

:heart:
    M
  • Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Options
    I agree with the above - can't you share you stuff elsewhere and leave this for its intended use??
  • lyla29
    Options
    I do enjoy reading a lot of the OT posts too, but like you said when you want to read about some advice and it is 5 or more pages long, it's hard to find the posts that you were looking for.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Again, it seems to me that those threads usually don't get hijacked until the original topic has run it's course? So my suggestion for that, is to simply ask people, in your initial post, to please try to stay on topic. I think that might help with hijacking threads. Conversely, if you don't mind a bit of fun, you could even go as far at *whatever* point you feel has answered your comment, question or concern, insert a statement that would allow the Gutter Gang to run away with the thread.

hate to disagree with you but this isn't true. there have been a few posts in the last few days that within 5 or 6 postings became too much for me. That was when I realized it seems this has just become a trend.
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above - can't you share you stuff elsewhere and leave this for its intended use??

The "General Discussion" states you may talk about anything or everything. It must be PG-13 though. I agree.

Just an FYI:flowerforyou:
  • lyla29
    Options

The "General Discussion" states you may talk about anything or everything. It must be PG-13 though. I agree.

I think a lot of people just start a topic in the "Genereal Discussion" area when it should be in the "fitness/exercise" or "motivation" area and don't really think about where the post should originate:ohwell:
  • Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Options
    Thanks for that soupnazi and don't get me wrong I think for the most part these are truly hilarious and I'm often laughing aloud - but even this aft I logged in for a very necessary reality check and on the motivation thread was - well somthing not so motivating for me. I'm not trying to be a hag I just need this site for my health and sanity. I guess I'll just stay off the boards
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that soupnazi and don't get me wrong I think for the most part these are truly hilarious and I'm often laughing aloud - but even this aft I logged in for a very necessary reality check and on the motivation thread was - well somthing not so motivating for me. I'm not trying to be a hag I just need this site for my health and sanity. I guess I'll just stay off the boards

No, no no Benson, please don't misunderstand me. I wasn't attacking your thought and I truly do believe something needs to be changed as well. I know what you are saying but alot of others don't understand what "general discussion" means and think this place is only for talking about diets and what have you. I can't answer for Mike but I don't think that's what he intended it to strictly be.

There needs to be change in the way these forums are set up. :flowerforyou:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    The point was brought up and apologies were made. As long as we all agree to stick to the topic or stick to the PG-13 threads, then this shouldn't be a issue anymore. :smile:
  • mholmes
    mholmes Posts: 949 Member
    Options

What's funny is that the first official OT PG-13 thread has attracted over 930 views. Go figure.

The first 800 were me :flowerforyou: