The Biggest Loser??

Options
I have heard so many people compare themselves to the show and have let down because their results aren't the same.
So my thoughts...
It's great what those people do and go through but we live in reality. We can't workout all day or the lights and water would be off very soon. I think you are better off doing what you can each week that you know you can continue to do for a long term. Yeah if we all took a couple months off and worked out all day I think the MFP server would explode. Some of us have kids and some of us have jobs that would make losing as much weight as some contestants very impossible. Doesn't mean that it can happen just NOT IN ONE SEASON..
Not to hate at all but It's Hollywood and there is a lot of things behind the scenes we don't see. I do think it's a great show for people to see that anything is possible and the impossible is possible.
So everyone out there... Do you and make it happen!

Replies

• kristimaggard
    kristimaggard Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Well said...AGREED!
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    AMEN!
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I agree with your post. It is a great motivational tool though to see the folks on the show come so far but there are other factors involved in their extreme weight loss. They are under a doctors care, they work out 24-7 pretty much and are isolated. I personally love the show but I don't think it is true "reality".
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Amen to this post!! Plus some of them end up looking kind of emaciated... I love BL but I think they overdo it sometimes for $ sake...
  • LurayneMarie
    LurayneMarie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I completely agree. Funnily enough Ive spent every night this week watching a marathon of The Biggest Loser episodes from the past 3 seasons! I was totally addicted to it and its great for motivation and tips on eating and working out but Ive got my head screwed on and I know its impossible to achieve those results within the same time frame unless you are on the show. They spend up to 4hours a day working out and their food is all bought for them and portion controlled and so on, so there is no fear of them breaking out for some chinese food in the middle of the night like we might do!
    I would never expect myself to lose to same amount as those contestants each week, its not realistic. It should only be used for inspiration and motivation and to show you that anyone can lose the weight once they put in the effort. It doesn't matter how long it takes.
  • LeanerBeef
    LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I totally agree! I love the show and the transformation of the contestants is AMAZING. But I think the weekly weigh-ins really send a bad message for people trying to lose weight. I've seen people lose 6lbs or so in a week and walk off the stage disappointed. That's not good. It's great to see people change their lives and it is inspiring to see that it can be done but the rapid weight loss could give some us people trying to lose weight in the real world unrealistic expecations.
  • karrie921
    karrie921 Posts: 5
    Options
    Great point!
  • PJS323
    PJS323 Posts: 115
    Options
    I agree 100%. It's what you don't see that is the real story. I have a friend that met & was working out with a former contestant. "They" told her about hours in the sauna everyday, plus diet coke & coffee was sometimes their only meal. Before the final weigh in, "they" were seen purchasing tons of supplements, diet pills, and water pills. Years later, and "they" have gained all but 20lbs back. I like the idea of promoting weight loss, but the rate & speed at which they lose is dangerous, and unrealistic. Thanks for the great post!!
  • achampionsheart
    achampionsheart Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    well said......
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Rewind 10 years ago and there was no biggest loser show - There would be millions of overweight people, obese people who didn't lose weight because of the show?
    Yes there would have been people who lost weight on their normal daily life, but the show has motivated MILLIONS.

People talk about North America has an obese problem - Everybody talks about us having an obese problem and overweight people across USA and Canada. Yet when people try to do something, it's criticized, instead of looking at the positive effects.

How many young girls saw courtney this year and thought... Holy smokes, if she can do it , I can. How many men saw Arthur, and thought, that's me, and I need to do something.

People at home living our daily lives should NOT compare ourselves to someone on the ranch,and should not expect to lose the weight that those contestants do. The hours they are working out, and being monitored by professionals.

Something to think about? 10 years ago, there was no biggest loser show - where would North America be today with the obese problem?

I know I probably wouldn't be on MFP or thought about counting calories.
  • mnlawgirl
    mnlawgirl Posts: 12
    Options
    Well said! I love the show but there is no way I will drop 10 lbs in a week. Heck I am happy dropping 1 lb week. As long as the scale goes down, I'm happy. Its a great show and I look forward to watching it every season. Its not reality but it does offer great fitness advice. =)