SO irritable- help!!

Options
So its just been in the last 3-4 weeks that ive noticed this, But i am usually a pretty easy going person. it takes alot to make me mad or irritate me. but the last few weeks It takes NOTHING for me to loose it. well i guess my question is has this happened to anybody eles as they start loosing weight? it kinda confuses me bc i thought loosing weight was supposed to boost ur self esteem and mood. i hate it bc i have 3 kids and an amazing hubby. but i find myself getting mad over the stupidest things. if anyone has any suggestions that might help it wld be much appreciated!

Replies

• Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    That depends. How long have you been doing this? If you have reduced your cal intake too quickly/dramatically it can make you EXTREMELY irritable at first. Also you dont have to be diabetic for blood sugar to effect your moods, make sure you are eating nutrient dense foods, and getting more protein then the baseline MFP guidelines, this will keep you fuller longer and keep your blood sugar more stable.

If you open your diary for public view it will help alot of us make recommendations more catered to you
  • sarahcowley1
    Options
    i got like this last time i dieted are you on a diet??? im not i just cut down my portions and im feeling alot better this time round :D its horrible feeling like you do i was exactually the same x
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    So its just been in the last 3-4 weeks that ive noticed this, But i am usually a pretty easy going person. it takes alot to make me mad or irritate me. but the last few weeks It takes NOTHING for me to loose it. well i guess my question is has this happened to anybody eles as they start loosing weight? it kinda confuses me bc i thought loosing weight was supposed to boost ur self esteem and mood. i hate it bc i have 3 kids and an amazing hubby. but i find myself getting mad over the stupidest things. if anyone has any suggestions that might help it wld be much appreciated!
    [/quote

Are you taking a fat burner or Thermogenic? Also you blood sugar is probably to low aka to low of calories.
  • Dellonious1
    Dellonious1 Posts: 209
    Options
    I think you should go see your doctor. YOu may have high blood pressure or lacking some sort of vitamin. Hope you get well soon.
  • recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I'm actually feeling the same- and if you check my diary you'll see i'm not close to starving myself :) I suspect I was eating around 3000 calories/day before starting in on this again, and now at 1800-2000/day it is a huge change (although necessary) and the irritability is the body reacting...what i try to do is have a snack when i'm feeling really hungry and that helps alot with my mood...it can be tempting to avoid snacks but they are really important!
  • Sarah_uk
    Sarah_uk Posts: 209
    Options
    lol sounds very familiar:wink:

This happened to me when I was too restrictive.

When I loosened up a bit,it got better.
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Somethings definitely not right. I'll second the recommendation to check with your doctor.

It was hard when I first got started. For about two weeks I could've chewed my arm off and eaten it, but then everything shifted and I felt amazing. I wasn't irritable though. I was just hungry.
  • 2chubby4now
    2chubby4now Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have that happen to me too. I usually feel better if I can squeeze in some sort of activity, however I have BECOME grouchy if I can't due to family life demands. You are most likely juggling a lot of things (family, house, job - life in general) and now this diet and exercise thing! It is normal. Ride it through. You are already ahead because you are aware of it. Just try and buffer your family as best you can. This too shall pass or at least will have its good and bad days. At least it does for me! Chin up and good luck!
  • diembroadhurst
    Options
    its quite possible that if you are focusing now on eating healthy foods you have withdrawn from your diet alot of the processed/junk foods that you previously craved and possibly ate? Your mood could therefore be because of the sugar/fat withdrawel which makes people a mixture of moody, irratable or sluggish. You just have to ride the storm - because having been through it it's harsh - but once out the other side you will feel brilliant. At 3 weeks you should be quite close to coming through the other side - so hang in there and be sure to drink lots of water to flush out your body.
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    This only happened to me when I had an IUD (Mirena) It made me psycotic! The doctors told me I was crazy, but funny thing...when I had it removed, my moodiness went away. Are you on a new B/C?
  • Runnermadre
    Runnermadre Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    My first few weeks were the same way. It did get better once my body adjusted though. It seems like you've been doing this long enough for that part to be behind you though. Maybe you should talk to your doctor. :-)
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    You could try spacing your calories out more evenly across the day so you have fewer low points. I get really cranky when my blood sugar drops.

Also, have you considered that weight loss is an emotional journey, as well as a physical process? Maybe you're stirring up some really negative emotions about your body and yourself in the process and it's putting you on edge. Big change, even if it's good change, always makes me edgy and nervous and that makes everything harder to deal with.

I hope you feel better soon!
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    You're probably not getting enough calories. Yeah, you're trying to lose like 91 lbs, and I bet you're not even eating back your exercise calories. This will definitely cause mood changes. Open up your food diary, and we can get a better understanding of what you're doing food wise that might be causing the problem.