Protein intake

Options
I keep going over my allowed protein for the day. Should I be concerned with that. I'm pretty good with my calories and others. I am 10 over already today but still have 700 plus calories for the day.

Replies

• adfranks
    adfranks Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I am always over on protein... but I don't really worry too much about it. I think they keep that set low.
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I personally would not worry about going over on protein. Protein helps build muscle, and is very good for fighting that hungry feeling! I think it would be better to be over in protein rather than sodium, that could can cause water retention, or sugar! I am always way over on protein and I am doing good at losing. Best Wishes!
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    What are you eating that has so much protein in it? I wouldn't be TOO concerned.
  • selfdiscipline73
    selfdiscipline73 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You can go into goals and change the percentage of carbs, protein and fat. You can up your protein. I have mine set at 45, 35 and 20% respectively. If you are working out and especially if you are doing any strength training, you need more protein.
  • tannaleigh
    tannaleigh Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    extremely high protein can be hard on your kidneys. I am always over in protein sometimes more than double. Much more than that and it can begin to cause issues, but being over in protein is a lot better than over in fat or sodium.
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    You can go into goals and change the percentage of carbs, protein and fat. You can up your protein. I have mine set at 45, 35 and 20% respectively. If you are working out and especially if you are doing any strength training, you need more protein.

Yes, I read that body builders need half their weight in protein. So, if a body builder weighed 180 pounds, they'd want 90g of protein a day. I would search the internet and try to get a better idea of what would be an ideal level for you.
  • Martha_VH
    Martha_VH Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Many people in Japan have a much higher consumption of protein than we do, but they eat more lean proteins. I am usually over in protein myself. I actually try to eat about 70 grams a day or more. Protein helps with more than just replenishing your muscles after a workout. It also helps repair damaged cells, and helps your immune system ward of disease.

Basically don't be concerned. I just wanted to share the helpful effects of it.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I too was concerned about too much protein, then i read somewhere that it can cause x,y, and z, .... if your protein intake is more than 30% of your calories...so if youre eating 2100 calories, you shouldnt have more than 700g of protein. So.....i think we're all safe :)
  • webbed1
    webbed1 Posts: 86
    Options
    Huh the post about 2100 calories and 700 grams of protein being 30% needs correction. 30% of 2100 calories does indeed=700 calories, then you need to divide that by 4 to get the actual grams of protein, which is 175. I hope this was a quick typo and not how you actually think about it.

Bodybuilders eat 1.5-2.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight. I weigh 195 at 9% bodyfat and shoot for 225 or so. Since I am in bodyfat reduction mode, I have reduced my max carbs to 50 grams a day, or 200 calories, on a 1900 calorie total. I gotta get then 1700 calories from clean fats and proteins. I basically split that 1700 and use olive oil and canola oil to get the fat and the protein comes from boneless skinless boiled chicken breasts, egg whites, and protein shakes. It is not a sustainable diet but will work for another month. I do eat other meat and then try hard to make assumptions about its fat content and reduce oils accordingly.
  • choughton01
    choughton01 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I think you can view my diary to see what I eat but what get's me is I have a protein shake in the morning with 2 scoops and I throw in my 4 ounces of yogurt. It's like over 30 grams of protein right there, then usually anything else.....fish, chicken for my later meals runs my protein up and over but I am able to keep the rest within normal limits.
  • choughton01
    choughton01 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Oh and why I'm turning to protein shakes in the morning with a hard boiled egg or not is because my mornings are crazy hectic and busy. The days it's not, I don't want to fuss with eating a respectful breakfast (cause I'm resting still in the morning)....LOL..but I also know that starting the day with something is the way to go soooooooo.....the shakes have become my breakfast buddy.
  • selfdiscipline73
    selfdiscipline73 Posts: 74 Member
    Options

Yes, I read that body builders need half their weight in protein. So, if a body builder weighed 180 pounds, they'd want 90g of protein a day. I would search the internet and try to get a better idea of what would be an ideal level for you.

I have read, used several methods to calculate and been told by a couple of different trainers to have my protein at this percentage. I am trying to lose body fat and lean out, so these percentages work great for me. Everyone is different of course. Here is a link to a website that I have used to calculate these percentages: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm#
    You can then from that calculation, figure out your macronutrient percentages.
  • webbed1
    webbed1 Posts: 86
    Options
    Your method is fine. It is way better than the standard RDA. I was simply pointing out what bodybuilders actually do and recommend. It still only comes to around 40% protein, so it is still not excessive. If you are interested in building excess muscle like I am, maintaining a positive nitrogen balance and minimizing normal catabolism, higher percentages of protein are needed-- and barring any renal complications someone might have, are still not clinically excessive.