Sugar?

Options
I am a little bit confused---according to my nutrition profile on MFP, I go WAY over on my sugar amount everday...but it's ALL from fresh fruit. Should I be concerned about this? Because I just cant give up apples and cherries and berries.

All of the research I've seen in my google efforts-- it's not evidently clear whether they are talking about natural sugars or added sugars...

Replies

• abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    if its from fruits, you're fine!!!! Fruit sugars are the best sugars. You should watch the sugars that are NOT good for you at all.
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    both fructose (from fruit and veg) and glucose (un-natural) result in an insulin release
    un-used fructose are expelled from the body whilst un-used glucose are stored as fat stores
    if you are pre-diabetic you may need to keep an eye on fructose as well as glucose due to the insulin result
  • sheisbrown
    sheisbrown Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I think that natural sugar is way better than the processed stuff. Fruit also provides needed vitamins and minerals as well as fiber so eat up. I am borderline diabetic so I do have to watch the sugar- even the natural stuff. My doc says its okay just to make sure that I don't overdo it and continue to be active. If your not diabetic- than I wouldn't worry to much about the sugar from fruit. Its good for you.
  • Knightrobs
    Knightrobs Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Natural sugar is still sugar. The only difference is that "natural sugar" from fruits is hopefully accompanied by lots of vitamins/minerals/anti-oxidants in the rest of the fruit (which are great). If you're going over you daily sugar intake you should try and cut it back. Generally berries are the best to keep in your diet (blueberries are the business). Cut down the 8 apples to 1, bananas are also notoriously high in sugar, grapes are also very high in sugar and limited in good micronutrients (unless you're eating those really dark wine making grapes... I can't remember the name).

Sugar is still sugar. It will spike your blood sugar. It will cause an insulin response. It will cause you to store energy. Also try and eat your fruit right before, after or during your workouts. Exercise inhibits insulin, i.e. you'll use the sugar for energy rather than store it.
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Raw veggies and fruits and whole grains are a big part of my diet, so I customized my sugar and fiber goals to a higher amount than was recommended. I looked up the amount of sugar in the fruits I eat regularly and set my sugar goal based on that.