Bad knees and running

Options
Soooo, last year in an attempt to lose weight I took up running. I weighed about 160 at the time, and even though I have bad knees, I thought if I took it slow, it would help me take the weight off. I did intervals of walking for 2 minutes, run for 30 seconds, and slowly worked my way up week by week until I could run for about five mintues without being winded. I hadn't lost weight, I'd actually gained 6 pounds (hadn't figured out the whole eating thing, hadn't discovered MFP yet). It was about this time where my knees REALLY started to hurt. A LOT. They hadn't bothered me before, so I thought running would be okay, but after my last jog, my knees were sore for about 2 weeks. Needless to say, I stopped running.

So here I am, nearly a year later. I've discovered MFP, and I've been walking about 5 days a week. Since March, I have gone from 163 pounds, to 145 and walking isn't cutting it for me anymore. A brisk walk used to wind me, and make me break a sweat and it just doesn't anymore. I FEEL like I want to run, but I'm a bit paranoid about my knees. I'm thinking that because I lost a bit of weight it might not bother me anymore.

Does anyone have advice on this?

Replies

• sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I just started running a couple months ago, after taking 17 yrs off from running (high school and college). I love it but unfortunately my knees don't:grumble: I pushed it a little too hard at a 5K last weekend am was on crutches for several days and still limping. I really hope to be able to run again but am not sure at this point and will wait at least three months to try again to let it heal.
    My advice would be to try some slow jogging and work your way up gradually and see how they feel. I was doing jogging/sprinting intervals and the sprinting is what did my knee in.
  • ser0630
    ser0630 Posts: 223
    Options
    Try alternating running for a minute, then walking for a couple of minutes. You can build up from there. That is the way that I started (and now doing again because of a knee injury).
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Start slow and build back up like you did before, but if your knees hurt like last time I would probably switch to something easier on the joints, like an elliptical. Be kind to your knees because you will miss them when they are gone!
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    You can try knee braces. They helped me when I tried running (though I didn't like it and switched to biking). However, my mom got lost about 50 lbs only by walking, but she just furthered the distance and started carrying weights when the workouts were too easy for her. If running still bothers your knees, you could try upping the intensity of your walking.
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    I started running at 215 lbs. My right knee was fighting me the whole time. I spent $$ on really good shoes. Wore a knee brace. Stretched like a crazy person before & after each run. Iced it after every run and only ran 3 times a week (never consecutive days). Eventually the knee strengthened and as I got lighter it stopped being an issue.

I used youtube (still do) to find new stretches and new exercises to strengthen my knee's.

If its really bad then go see a dr asap.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    My advice would be several things

- slow down (not sure how fast you are going)
    - check out your stride, make you are not heel striking or reaching out with your stride which will cause injuries
    - make sure you have excellent footwear (consider insoles etc)
    - never run 2 days in a row ... and slowly increase your mileage

I am about 243 pounds right now ... and I have bad knees and ankles... and I am out there running! :)
    I have faith that you can do it too!
  • Skydemon53
    Skydemon53 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    The general rule is, if it hurts (other than soreness in muscles), then it's best not to do it. I used to run quite a bit up until 6 years ago, and my knees started bothering (more than usual) I finally saw an orthopedic surgeon, and after an xray and MRI, he recommended going in and cleaning things up. After the surgery he said I was bone on bone in my knee (should be cartilage between the bones), and it's no wonder they hurt. So I have resigned myself to lower impact exercises, walking, biking and elliptical. I miss the running though. If in doubt ask your doctor.
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I'm sure the extra weight hindered you a bit with your knees. You are probably fine to start running. Most likely you will encounter the hurting knees, but it's probably more to do with your not being used to running yet. Last Feb I started training for my first half marathon. I weighed 160 as well and my knees would hurt after my longer runs. By the middle of my training, I no longer had ANY knee issues and still don't after having run three half marathons. Some people simply have knee issues, but I think you build up the muscles around your knees when you run for a while. I've heard this time and time again - knee pain disappearing after a while. You should give it a go and if the pain is just too unbearable, then maybe running is just not for you.
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    get a good knee brace. .I ended up in the ER last fall when my knee blew in the show ring(I show dogs), I took the entire winter off from showing, (7 months in fact), and entered back in the ring in April with a good knee brace(ordered on line) and I've been able to show dogs and do almost all my normal activities as long as I use the knee brace.
  • didigale
    didigale Posts: 1
    Options
    Just listen to your body...and dont overdo it! If it hurts, it cant be right.
  • elinsofie
    elinsofie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Wimpey
    Wimpey Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi,

running is a great sport and very convenient in many ways, but not the only one! ;-)

A partial load bearing sport (like cycling) gives similar opportunity to be outside exercising but is less harsh on your knees.
    Or an elliptic trainer indoors (may be not so much fun but it is a start)

Also you can build up fitness in a shorter period of time than running, and burn as many or more calories per hours... but most people can go out for a 2/3 hour ride, where to run for 2 hours it is not so easy and a draining session.

Once you get fitter and have lost some, then your knee might take on the running.

Best of luck!