Any of you losing weight without a heart rate monitor?

Options

Replies

• auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I started last Sept.
    I don't have a HRM,
    (can't do any impact exercises. Had to maintain for a while due to a health scare on top of my usual crap)

It seems most folks think MFP's exercise calories estimates are on the high side.
    So I'll underestimate my exercise. If I do a 60 minute yoga class I enter it as 45 minute.

Exercise seems to dull my appetite. So I think of my exercise calories as a reserve.
    I don't FORCE myself to eat them, but don't stop myself from eating them either
    Often I don't feel the need for them that day, but I'm ravenous the next day so I'll carry them over a day
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I haven't used one and I am doing just great. My personal trainer said I really didn't need one unless I'm seriously trying to increase my fitness and train for a race . I've also read enough to know that they are really not that accurate for estimating calories burned especially for strength training which is the bulk of what I do in the gym.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    No HRM here either.
  • ItsMeMaryW
    ItsMeMaryW Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have lost just counting Calories on here and logging exercise. I wanted to HRM but really don't need it right now. I started in July 2010.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    What most other people said.
  • Lisone
    Lisone Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've lost 10 lbs in the last 20 something days... however, I NEVER EVER eat back the calories I exercise off at the gym! I always choose a program on the bike, elliptical or treadmill where I can plug my age, sex and weight and HR target into it so I know that calories burned are correct. I'm set to take in 1300 cals per day on MFP, but I try to never go over 1200.
  • ChelseaRW
    ChelseaRW Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    No HRM....I am set for a half pound a week loss, eat back my most of my excercise calories if not all and have managed to lose 15 lbs since Feb. 1 with MFP(lost 20 before that and had a 2 month plateau). The last few weeks I have logged everything as MFP says, eating back most of my excercise cals Monday through Friday, not logged the weekends and still have lost a pound a week for the last three weeks! This website is the best website ever...eat healthy for the most part, don't deprive yourself of goodies unless you can't control yourself, and excercise...you will be successful!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I lost about 18 pounds without using an HRM. the only reason why I bought one was so that I could figure out how much I was burning during my personal training sessions.. and now that i have one, I must say that I am addicted.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I don't have one and have lost 49 pounds. If you plan to eat back your calories I would suggest eating only a portion of what MFP says you've burned. Too me most of their numbers seem high.
  • sweetiebelle
    sweetiebelle Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I don't have one, they are too expensive. Don't have that kind of money.I did buy a pedometer and I have a treadmill. They both have burned calories. I don't think its has rite readings. Love to have one though!
  • Ashykins
    Ashykins Posts: 233
    Options
    Totally can, I've lost more then half my weight without it.
  • sweetiebelle
    sweetiebelle Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I've lost 29 lbs. Without one!
  • Metamorphasis555
    Options
    Thanks so much for your input everyone! :)
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I don't have one and I've lost 11 lbs. since March. I 've been using this site, going to zumba classes 3 times a week, and started running a month ago. I think it would be nice to have one, but not neccessary.
  • zoombie_bear
    zoombie_bear Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I started in january and used the one on this site and so far so good 44lbs lost
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I've always lost more than mfp says I should whilst using their exercise calculations and eating all of them back! I'd love to borrow a HRM for a month to try to understand why that might be!
  • johnnythebaptist
    Options
    I just bought a HRM and I find that the HRM and what i actually burn by the machines are diffrent. I usually insert time into it and see what MFP says and it is usaually lower than what I actually burn. I have lost most of my weight by pure aerobic exercise...started at 30 min and then increased to 45 min and I now am at 65 and 70 min on the elliptical. I bought the HRM just to see how many calories I burn while preaching.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    I lost most of my weight before I ever used an HRM and before I ever started counting calories. And so have millions of people before us.

werd!
  • namrettik
    namrettik Posts: 127
    Options
    No HRM, 28 lbs gone since January 1.
  • askme12
    askme12 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I don't own one and I've lost around 35lbs since March, 19lbs since I joined MFP in April. So you can lose weight without one.