Cooking Challenge: Coconut

Options
inskydiamonds
inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
Welcome to the thirty-third round of the cooking challenge! This week's ingredient comes to us from knkmfp, the winner of the zucchini cooking challenge.

11399276-coconut-oil.jpg

This week's challenge is COCONUT. You are welcome to use ANY part of the coconut in your recipe.

These are the rules for the challenge:

1. You don't need to have created the recipe from scratch, but you DO need to make it.
2. Voting will be put up for the challenge and the winner of the challenge will pick the next ingredient to be used.
3. Pictures are encouraged but not required. If you want to post a picture upload it on a website like photobucket.com or tinypic.com . If there's any questions about how to do that, don't be shy to ask me.
4. You do need to post the recipe you used so other people can try it too, if they so please.
5. If you used a recipe from another source give credit to the original creator!
6. Your recipe can be a breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, or dessert! Anything!

Fill out the following form to play:

NAME OF RECIPE:
INGREDIENTS:
DIRECTIONS:
CALORIES PER SERVING:
HOW MANY IT SERVES:
OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC:
PICTURE (optional):

Voting for this challenge will begin next Saturday June 4th at 5PM Pacific Standard Time.

Replies

• nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    I'd like to join your cooking challenge, is this an open group? I'm going to start looking up my recipe and will post this week...I think I have a good one...not sure how healthy it will be tho!!!
  • cat3nv
    cat3nv Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    sounds like a fun way to get through the week. Is this an open group? If so add me.

I could give a coconut recipe, but I can not make one that I would eat. I am allergic to coconut, but my hubby loves it.
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    sounds like a fun way to get through the week. Is this an open group? If so add me.

I could give a coconut recipe, but I can not make one that I would eat. I am allergic to coconut, but my hubby loves it.

Anyone can participate :)
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    I'd like to join your cooking challenge, is this an open group? I'm going to start looking up my recipe and will post this week...I think I have a good one...not sure how healthy it will be tho!!!

Of course! Anyone can participate :)
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Bump! This will be great for trying out some new paleo recipes! I'm back!
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    bump!!
  • Danlol
    Danlol Posts: 32
    Options
    Where do i put the recipe???
  • Danlol
    Danlol Posts: 32
    Options
    Colorado Haupia

My recipe is what i call Colorado Haupia! Haupia is a Hawaiian dessert that is a Jello like custard. It is delicious and low in calories. After i went to Hawaii i was craving this dessert, but buying decent coconut mik in Colorado, where i live, is impossible. So i substitited other kinds of milks and some coconut extract. Try it, it is easy, fun and delicious!!!

Ingredients:
    1 cup Almond Milk Original
    1 cup Vanilla Soy Milk
    5 Tbsp Cornstarch
    1/4 cup Sugar
    4 tsp Coconut Extract
    1/8 tsp Salt

Ditections:
    Place the cornstarch, sugar, and salt into a saucepan; stir in 1/4 of the milk to make a smooth paste. Stir in the remaining milk, and coconut extract, and bring to a simmer over low heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until thickened so that it coats the back of a spoon, about 10 minutes (varies with altitude and such). Pour into a 9x13 inch baking dish; refrigerate until cold.

51 calories per serving 1 gram of fat.
    Makes about 9 servings

Even though it looks like a Jello it is super creamy like a pudding.
    Sorry no pic.
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Share all your great coconut recipes :)
  • jwd28
    jwd28 Posts: 765
    Options
    Spicy Coconut Shrimp Stew

Ingredients:

1 lbs peeled and deveined large shrimp
    1-2 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons oil
    1 large red bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
    4 scallions, thinly sliced (white and green parts kept separate)
    1/2 cup chopped cilantro, divided
    4 large garlic cloves, minced
    1/4-1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    1 (14 1/2 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, drained
    1 (13 1/2-14 ounce) can coconut milk
    2 tablespoons lime juice
    4 cups cooked jasmine rice (1 – 11/2 cups dry)

Directions:

Heat oil over medium-high heat. Add peppers; cook, stirring, until almost tender, 4 minutes.

Add scallion whites, 1/4-cup cilantro, garlic, salt, and pepper flakes. Continue to cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30-60 seconds.

Add tomatoes and coconut milk; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium; simmer to blend flavors and thicken sauce slightly, about 5 minutes.

Add shrimp, partially cover and cook, stirring often, until just cooked through, about 5 minutes more.

Stir in lime juice and adjust seasonings, adding salt, if necessary. Serve shrimp stew over rice. Garnish with scallion greens and remaining cilantro.

300 calories per serving, 43 carbs and 7 grams of fat.
  • His_Kid
    His_Kid Posts: 44
    Options
    Ooh, this IS a challenge. Must ponder. I haven't cooked with coconut in ages.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    I made this at Christmas and it was a huge hit with the kids...the lime glaze is divine...it's also a good way to use up some bananas

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/coconut-banana-bread-with-lime-glaze-10000001654705/

Banana Bread with Lime Glaze:

1 loaf, 16 servings (serving size: 1 slice)

Ingredients
    2 cups all-purpose flour (about 9 ounces)
    3/4 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup granulated sugar
    1/4 cup butter, softened
    2 large eggs
    1 1/2 cups mashed ripe banana (about 3 bananas)
    1/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
    3 tablespoons dark rum
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 cup flaked sweetened coconut
    Cooking spray
    1 tablespoon flaked sweetened coconut
    1/2 cup powdered sugar
    1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime or lemon juice

Preparation
    Preheat oven to 350°.
    Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt, stirring with a whisk.
    Place granulated sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add banana, yogurt, rum, and vanilla; beat until blended. Add flour mixture; beat at low speed just until moist. Stir in 1/2 cup coconut. Spoon batter into a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon coconut. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan. Combine powdered sugar and juice, stirring with a whisk; drizzle over warm bread. Cool completely on wire rack.
    Jean Patterson, Cooking Light
    SEPTEMBER 2007

Amount per serving
    Calories: 193
    Calories from fat: 21%
    Fat: 4.6g
    Saturated fat: 2.8g
    Monounsaturated fat: 1.1g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
    Protein: 2.9g
    Carbohydrate: 35g
    Fiber: 1.1g
    Cholesterol: 35mg
    Iron: 1mg
    Sodium: 179mg
    Calcium: 15mg
  • gooberr4
    gooberr4 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Colorado Haupia

My recipe is what i call Colorado Haupia! Haupia is a Hawaiian dessert that is a Jello like custard. It is delicious and low in calories. After i went to Hawaii i was craving this dessert, but buying decent coconut mik in Colorado, where i live, is impossible. So i substitited other kinds of milks and some coconut extract. Try it, it is easy, fun and delicious!!!

Ingredients:
    1 cup Almond Milk Original
    1 cup Vanilla Soy Milk
    5 Tbsp Cornstarch
    1/4 cup Sugar
    4 tsp Coconut Extract
    1/8 tsp Salt

Ditections:
    Place the cornstarch, sugar, and salt into a saucepan; stir in 1/4 of the milk to make a smooth paste. Stir in the remaining milk, and coconut extract, and bring to a simmer over low heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until thickened so that it coats the back of a spoon, about 10 minutes (varies with altitude and such). Pour into a 9x13 inch baking dish; refrigerate until cold.

51 calories per serving 1 gram of fat.
    Makes about 9 servings

Even though it looks like a Jello it is super creamy like a pudding.
    Sorry no pic.

sounds awesome! i'm gonna try it. looooove coconut and you can't beat 51 cals!
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    Ginger Chicken and Coconut Soup - The Soup Bible

Serves 4-6

3 c coconut milk
    2 c chicken stock
    4 lemongrass stalks, bruised and chopped
    1 inch piece ginger root, finely sliced
    10 black peppercorns, crushed (I recommend fresh, use a small and medium sauce pan and crush in between)
    10 kaffir lime leaves, torn (optional, when I made this recipe I could not find and was delicious)
    2 1/2 cups skinless, boneless chicken cut into thin strips
    1 1/2 cup white mushrooms, if large cut in half or quarters
    1/2 cup baby corn cobs
    4 T lime juice, fresh!!!
    3 T fish sauce (I used soy sauce)

*Bring coconut milk and chicken stock to a boil in a saucepan. Add lemongrass, ginger, peppercorns and half the kaffir lime leaves (if using). Lower heat and let simmer for 10 minutes.

*Strain the stock into a clean pan. Return to the heat, add chicken, white mushrooms, and baby corn. Simmer for 5 to 7 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. (you could certainly use leftover cooked chicken and just heat until warmed)

*Stir in the lime juice, fish (or soy) sauce to taste, add rest of lime leaves (if using). Serve hot- some garnishing options-red chilies, scallions, cilantro

Calories per serving (6-1 cupish servings) 339 cals. This can deffinitly be brought down by using lite coconut milk instead.

I made this in culinary school for one of my restaurants and it was a big hit, also great to have during the hot humid summer! trying to find my pictures from school, otherwise, sorry no pic!
  • Imsojen
    Imsojen Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Ginger Chicken and Coconut Soup - The Soup Bible

Serves 4-6

3 c coconut milk
    2 c chicken stock
    4 lemongrass stalks, bruised and chopped
    1 inch piece ginger root, finely sliced
    10 black peppercorns, crushed (I recommend fresh, use a small and medium sauce pan and crush in between)
    10 kaffir lime leaves, torn (optional, when I made this recipe I could not find and was delicious)
    2 1/2 cups skinless, boneless chicken cut into thin strips
    1 1/2 cup white mushrooms, if large cut in half or quarters
    1/2 cup baby corn cobs
    4 T lime juice, fresh!!!
    3 T fish sauce (I used soy sauce)

*Bring coconut milk and chicken stock to a boil in a saucepan. Add lemongrass, ginger, peppercorns and half the kaffir lime leaves (if using). Lower heat and let simmer for 10 minutes.

*Strain the stock into a clean pan. Return to the heat, add chicken, white mushrooms, and baby corn. Simmer for 5 to 7 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. (you could certainly use leftover cooked chicken and just heat until warmed)

*Stir in the lime juice, fish (or soy) sauce to taste, add rest of lime leaves (if using). Serve hot- some garnishing options-red chilies, scallions, cilantro

Calories per serving (6-1 cupish servings) 339 cals. This can deffinitly be brought down by using lite coconut milk instead.

I made this in culinary school for one of my restaurants and it was a big hit, also great to have during the hot humid summer! trying to find my pictures from school, otherwise, sorry no pic!

Ooh this is a recipe for Tom Kha Gai- my fave thai soup.

EVERYONE shhould try this- it is soooo delish :o)
  • Laura_beau
    Options
    Here's mine- I made this recently and it's yummy. Waaaaaay healthier than deep fried shrimp.

Baked Thai coconut shrimp.

Serves 4 people @ 6 large prawns/shrimps per person (24 shrimp in total)

196 cals per portion (6 Large shrimp)

Ingredients:

-24 large peeled raw shrimp, devained and butterflied (Tails can be left on for ease of coating)
    -1/2 cup (approx 50g) dried flaked coconut (dessicated coconut) unsweetened.
    - 2 eggs, beaten.
    - 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper.
    - 1 tsp garlic salt
    -1 tsp onion powder
    - 1 tsp white sugar
    - 1/2 cup (approx 50g) japanese panko breadcrumbs.*

* to make this gluten free use plain or sesame flavoured rice crackers ground into coarse breadcrumbs in a food processor.

Method:

-Preheat oven to 220 degrees celcius/ 425 degrees farenheit. Prepare a baking sheet by covering it in non stick parchment (greasproof paper).

- In a bowl, mix the breadcrumbs, garlic salt, cayenne pepper, onion powder & sugar- set aside.

- beat the eggs in a bowl, set aside.

- In a third bowl, place the shredded dry coconut.

- Holding the shrimp by their tails, dip first into the beaten egg, then in the panko mix to lightly coat, then dip back in the egg, and finally roll in the coconut. Lay the shrimp on its side on your prepared baking sheet. Depending on the size and number of shrimp you're making, you may need to use one more egg. Tip: Since they are going to be baked, avoid over-coating, or your shrimp will be flat on one side.

- Bake in the hot oven for 15 minutes until the coconut is light golden colour. Turn shrimp halfway through.

- Serve with lime wedges for squeezing, and your favourite dipping sauce, I reccomend thai sweet chilli sauce or vietnamese nuoc cham (a chilli & vinegar dipping sauce).
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    5CUP Salad (otherwise known as "GUNK" in our family! )

In large bowl mix 1cup of each:

mandarin oranges ...in own juice or water packed...well drained
    crushed pineapple ...in own juice or water packed ...well drained
    coconut flakes
    mini Marshmallows
    sour cream...we use daisy fat free

Put in Refrig. and chill
    Serve COLD and ENJOY!

Sometimes add chopped walnuts and or cherries...(not figured in values below)
    Values figured using packed in own juice fruits, will be less if packed in H2O

Per 1/2 cup serve :
    111 calories
    24 carbs
    8 protein
    0 cholesterol
    240 sodium
    4 sat fat

A family favorite in the summer!
  • Laura_beau
    Options
    BUMP