My First 5k

mmoyer1978
mmoyer1978 Posts: 124 Member
edited September 27 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm going to be participating in my first 5k on June 26th. I never thought I would ever do one of these ever. I was not a runner. I hated running. I didn't like people who ran. I used to make fun of the people who I'd see out running at 7am as I drove to work. But this morning, I was that woman, in the stretch pants, t-shirt and ball cap, jogging and walking at 7 am on a Saturday morning. I want to be able to do this 5k right. I want to show my friends who I will be running with that the "fat chick from the office" can hold her own. I'm 65lbs lighter and now I can run without feeling the pain, but I'm going to need some help. Any suggestions? Tips? Just plain innner wisdom from seasoned runners?

Replies

• veganhoneys
    veganhoneys Posts: 34
    I did my first 5k today and it was great! I signed up for a charity one. There wasn't much competition going on. Everyone was a winner, and even though I walked part of the way no one seemed to mind. I set a goal and managed to meet it. I suggest setting your own goals and racing yourself (not other people). Doing a 5k is rewarding in and of itself though and I bet you will be great!
  • knelson422
    knelson422 Posts: 308 Member
    That is really awesome!!!! Just do your best. Don't worry about the pace of other people around you. Time yourself a few times and if you start feeling tired and feel like you want to stop, tell yourself, "This is 20 min of my life, I can do it." Slow down and keep going (unless you REALLY need to stop). You can do it. Congrats on your weight loss too. That is fabulous!!!
  • mmoyer1978
    Thank you, so much. I'm doing a charity one too. I figured if I was going to do this for me, someone else my at least benefit too. I'll keep a good pace and try to compete with just me. Thanks for the insight.
  • Hotlanta123
    Hotlanta123 Posts: 12
    The biggest tip I can give is to just have fun. Forget about all the expectations. Don't give a care in the world about what others may think of you - they don't matter. Just enjoy the fact that you are out there. You're getting exercise, having fun outdoors, meeting other people (I always end up chit chatting with others in a race), and you're helping out a good cause. Who gives a carp if you have to walk a little? Or a lot? No one is going to send the 5K police out to arrest you if you don't maintain any certain pace. You only get to run your first race once so enjoy it!
  • tigerbluefly
    tigerbluefly Posts: 257 Member
    My best advice to you is not to get caught up in everyone elses pace around you. Keep your own pace when the gun fires. Everyone is eager to move fast and up ahead to find their place in the crowd. Let them pass you, find your comfort pace from your training and stick to it. It your race, not theirs. You are running for your personal best each time you do a race.
    Enjoy the run, the excitement and adrenaline, and before you know it, you'll be at 4K with one more to go. If you feel good and have some extra energy in the tank, increase your pace a bit and finish strong. You'll probably be passing those people that started off to fast and your finish with a smile on your face. Good luck and have fun!!
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 674 Member
    Congrats!! You will be fine, don't worry if you have to walk, I walked during my first 5k. Don't start out too fast, with all the people around, you will be caught up in the moment and will take off fast. Fight that urge, you will thank yourself later. Also never wear new clothes that you haven't ran in before. Anything that you have never tried during training, don't let the race day be the first time you try it.
  • elizamc
    elizamc Posts: 285 Member
    Bump
  • mmoyer1978
    Thanks for the great advice, everyone. I'm really doing this mostly for me. It's been a year of first's. I finally started standing up for myself and the world didn't end. Imagine my surprise. I finally started to weight loss plan and stuck to it and I'm rocking it. And now I'm taking on this 5K. It's mostly to prove to myself that I really can do ANYTHING.
This discussion has been closed.