Yoga for Love Handles

Options
So....I've been doing Yoga using these free podcasts on iTunes a couple times a week. Last night, I found a new one called "Yoga for Love Handles," so thought I'd try it. It really works your side muscles, too!
This morning I woke up and my sides feel "tired." You know, like muscles feel tired when you work out. But I didn't even know I had muscles in those spots :tongue:

t's weird, it's just the area from my rib cage to my waist line, which is where "love handles" are, right? So, I guess that's a sign that the video does work!

I also found one called "Yoga for Cyclists" that I'm going to try later today maybe...depending on my "love handles" feel later!

Replies

• shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    So....I've been doing Yoga using these free podcasts on iTunes a couple times a week. Last night, I found a new one called "Yoga for Love Handles," so thought I'd try it. It really works your side muscles, too!
    This morning I woke up and my sides feel "tired." You know, like muscles feel tired when you work out. But I didn't even know I had muscles in those spots :tongue:

t's weird, it's just the area from my rib cage to my waist line, which is where "love handles" are, right? So, I guess that's a sign that the video does work!

I also found one called "Yoga for Cyclists" that I'm going to try later today maybe...depending on my "love handles" feel later!
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    they have pilates as well....
    I try them as well...
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Yep,

That area on my body is rock hard now, and I only do yoga (and intermittent bellydance classes).

For me, pilates strains my neck, so yoga is perfect.

Also, I hate crunches, sits ups, etc. (I still do them, but I'm grateful that yoga is taking up my slack):flowerforyou:

I'll check into "yoga for cyclists", too. My hips stay really tight from spinning.
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Just tip for pilates and neck strain...

You really need to focus on tucking your chin, and then make sure that when you lift (create those scoop abs, or "c" curve) that you create that using core strength, and not the neck. A lot of people tend to reach with their neck in order to curve into their abs more, which causes the neck strain... so try to focus on the abdominals and let the neck relax as much as possible.

Yoga is great, and certain exercises certainly tackle the obliques (where the love handles sit), but keep in mind that in order to truly get rid of love handles you'll need a well rounded program that includes strengthening (which the yoga is doing) and cardio to burn the extra fat in that area.
  • shorerider
    Options
    Yoga is great, and certain exercises certainly tackle the obliques (where the love handles sit), but keep in mind that in order to truly get rid of love handles you'll need a well rounded program that includes strengthening (which the yoga is doing) and cardio to burn the extra fat in that area.

Do both strength and cardio. I think I've got the cardio very well covered--cycling usually between 100-135 miles per week....

I like the yoga as it's "different," stretches me out, and helps my legs from getting stiff.

Never tried Pilates though.
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I haven't been able to find this podcast in the itunes store...would love to try it...any direction? what did you search for?
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    bump
  • wanderinglight
    Options
    Found it! It's under the "Yogamazing" podcast!

Just downloaded and about to try it out!
  • shorerider
    Options
    Sorry, WL! I went to bed early. Yes, it's Yogamazing. Did you try it?

I like the guy who does them--he always stresses not to push too hard but just do what you can do.
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Going to check those podcasts out right now!
  • wanderinglight
    Options
    Sorry, WL! I went to bed early. Yes, it's Yogamazing. Did you try it?

I like the guy who does them--he always stresses not to push too hard but just do what you can do.

I *loved* it -- did it in my hotel room at midnight when I got off of work and I was definitely feeling it on my sides today. I wish it was an hour long class!
  • shorerider
    Options
    Some days, I'll do 2 of them and just skip the "ending" and "opening" breathing exercises, so I go right from one into the other.

How goes the weight loss efforts this week? And the filming?
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Wonder if you can get Yoga & Pilates as a download for Ipod?
    My Ipod goes everywhere with me, I'd love to be able to incorporate it into my healthy new lifestyle :happy:

As for cycling - Shorerider, that's amazing !!! I used to have a bike, loved using it, but I live on hills, and me and hills - well, I start walking up them, and they turn into escalators and push me back down the start again :laugh:
  • shorerider
    Options
    someone else said they download Pilates but I haven't looked for that. I don't have use an iPod but watch them on my laptop.